Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #76
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 624
I just shot an email to Kawasaki USA. We'll see if I get a reply. I attached a link to this thread.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #77
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 624
Well, that was quick but not encouraging. Here is the reply.

Thank you for contacting Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. We appreciate the time you have taken to communicate your feedback regarding the W800 motorcycle. Kawasaki is always pleased to hear from owners and enthusiasts. Due to current market conditions, Kawasaki has decided to focus their efforts on products which appeal to a broader market segment. We have documented and directed your suggestion to the relevant division for evaluation and consideration in future developments.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #78
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
US California folks can't bring it here...unless you ride it from there to get it over the 7,500 mile mark.

I have a feeling the seller reserve price is like $6,500.

Here's another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...#ht_500wt_1182

Whom ever buys either bike will have to replace those decade old tires so that's another $300 or so.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #79
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I would gladly pay full MSRP for a like new low mileage W650, but there are none for sale.

There ya' go, a new one at MSRP, all ya' got to do is "buy it now" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...#ht_500wt_1182

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #80
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Trying for that authentic Triumph look?
Nope, I'm a BSA bloke. Have to hit the alternator with a hammer first though for real authenticity.

I just like blued pipes; that electric blue, shading in with reds and oranges is a very lovely colour, especially with a background of polished alloy. It's probably from growing up with Brit bikes; they don't look used until the pipes are blue.

Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #81
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,413
I remember the BSA ads on the back or last page of the bike mags, always had the toughest looking (and least dressed) girls of any ads.

Looked like they'd been hammered too.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #82
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Er... I think you musta missed the Norton ads.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #83
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
There ya' go, a new one at MSRP, all ya' got to do is "buy it now" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...#ht_500wt_1182
It's already at MSRP, and reserve has not been met. MSRP was $6400. I doubt they will get $8500, but someone else is willing to pay $6400 for it. It's in Vegas, I'm not to far away, I could go pick it up. Tempting, so tempting. Looks like I won't get any sleep tonight. Even the buy it now price is lower than a new Bonneville OTD.

I remember the Norton Highrider. I really wanted one bad. Real Norton guys won't have anything to do with them. I wouldn't mind having a Commando, but again the cost is unreal for a really nice one. I have no real interest in the Norton/BSA singles. Nice to look at, but I don't think I would want to ride one. They shook worse than a Sportster.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #84
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 647
Hotness...

GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #85
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
Nope, I'm a BSA bloke. Have to hit the alternator with a hammer first though for real authenticity.

I just like blued pipes; that electric blue, shading in with reds and oranges is a very lovely colour, especially with a background of polished alloy. It's probably from growing up with Brit bikes; they don't look used until the pipes are blue.

I hear ya. This beauty was raffled off by our local BSA club about 5 years ago, I bought a lot of tickets but sadly did not take it home, guess I'll make do with the W.

acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #86
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
I hear ya. This beauty was raffled off by our local BSA club about 5 years ago, I bought a lot of tickets but sadly did not take it home, guess I'll make do with the W.
I'll have a quiet moan for a minute - that's a very nice A10, '57 or '58 by the looks. Nice to see whoever rebuilt it resisted the temptation to turn it into a fake Road Rocket. I've always liked the 500cc B33 single and I'm currently looking at importing a beautifully restored 1962 M21 sidevalve from the UK to use as a daily rider.

What I like about the W800 is that the engine feels similar to a well-tuned Thunderbolt; powerful when you open the throttle but not 'cammy' like the Lightning. Compared to the W650 the torque is greater and it comes in a lot lower so the 800 has quite a different feel, and although the hp numbers are similar the redline is at 7000. In comparison to the Brit twins the main difference is the engine doesn't feel as "loose" and revvy as a good Brit. Hard to define, but similar to the different feel between the first drum brake model XS650F-1A Yamaha and the later C and D series models. The early ones were raw, torquey things where every firing pulse was a sharp bang, the later ones were much smoother, more muted and refined - and nowhere near the fun. Damn sight easier to start though...
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #87
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
I'll have a quiet moan for a minute - that's a very nice A10, '57 or '58 by the looks. Nice to see whoever rebuilt it resisted the temptation to turn it into a fake Road Rocket. I've always liked the 500cc B33 single and I'm currently looking at importing a beautifully restored 1962 M21 sidevalve from the UK to use as a daily rider.
Good call, actually a 1955, details here: http://bsa-club-ov.hailwood.com/rafflebike2006.html
While I'm not a BSA owner I've always enjoyed seeing and hearing them. I try to attend the rally most years and I'm always amazed at the quality of the raffle bikes restorations - can't believe they turn a profit on them. Club info here: http://bsa-club-ov.hailwood.com/

Good luck and safe riding with your W800.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #88
Loop OP
Mechanicess from Mar

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
They make a w400, do you have them there?
Only as an import when they made them. I've never seen one though.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #89
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 558

This one caught my eye on Visordown.com. From the German company LSL.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #90
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeymike View Post

Edit: two more LSL W800's here:

Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote