Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Canadian_Bacon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
KTM 690 Enduro R Highway Speeds

Hi there,

I currently have a KLR 650 and am looking to upgrade to the KTM 690 Enduro R for next season. Apart from the Klr being so, so offroad, I really hate the high speed whoble I get in a serious cross wind. I'm curious is anyone has any feedback on how the KTM 690 stacks up. It goes without saying that it will out perform the Klr in every shape and fashion. I'm mainly curious about the on road highways speeds and how it performs.
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
norton
n00b

Oddometer: 4
The 690 has more then enough motor for serious highway speeds. I've never had weaving or wobbles, but the front is twitchy. Knobbies will highlight that fact even more than a DS tire. I ran a 16/45 on a long road ride, and it had no problem pulling in all gears. I was riding with a buddy on his 990 and no issues.

cheers,

norton
norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Highway Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Hi there,

I currently have a KLR 650 and am looking to upgrade to the KTM 690 Enduro R for next season. Apart from the Klr being so, so offroad, I really hate the high speed whoble I get in a serious cross wind. I'm curious is anyone has any feedback on how the KTM 690 stacks up. It goes without saying that it will out perform the Klr in every shape and fashion. I'm mainly curious about the on road highways speeds and how it performs.
As the previous poster said the KTM 690 is capable of good highway speeds with the stock 15/45 gearing. Mine is a 2010. I have 14/45 and can easily run 70 to 75 all day without screaming the motor. With the stock gearing I would add at least 5 mph to the above. The bike is capable of a top end of about 107 mph with 15/45 and the 2012 may run even faster as it has a 690 cc motor versus the earlier models which have a 652 cc motor..

I don't know if you are getting a 2012 or a used bike. If you do get used I would recommend 2009 or later, not the first year, i.e., 2008. You can find information about various mods and fixes of known issues on the 690 Wunderfest thread.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
I have a 2012 and it has a high speed wobble above 70mph. I installed a Scotts damper and found it eliminated the wobble up to about 85mph. But the wobble can come back under certain turbulence conditions. I cruise the bike at 6000 rpm (80mph) no problem, but mostly go with the flow, which around here is 72-75 mph. The fastest I've had it is about 100mph. It gets there pretty quickly so I am sure it has another 15mph left in it. I'd have a more street oriented front time for testing that, though.

The KLR is probably more comfortable on the highway, but I have a stock seat with a sheepskin. The KLR's I ride with generally cruise under 70mph to keep their oil consumption down.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Canadian_Bacon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks everyone for the feedback. When I take the jump with the KTM I will be buying new for sure because I can see myself owning it til it dies. :)
Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
I went from a 2008 KLR 650 to a 2009 KTM 690r. Highway is the only comparison where the KLR had a slight edge for comfort, but only slight. The 690r is quite a bit lighter than the KLR so maybe not quite as good as the KLR in crosswinds but the difference would be slight. I have not had any speed wobble issues on my 690 even with desert knobbies on pavement, so I think it is an individual issue depending on bike setup and maybe rider weight and positioning on the bike. To make the 690 better on the highway a small screen and better seat go a long way. The 690 makes a LOT more power than the KLR so passing at highway speeds is not a problem.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Seats and Lights!!

Mines a 2010 R, seat, seat, seat!! Riding buddy has a 2010 KLR, we swap all the time, I look forward to 10 minutes on the couch (KLR) between rides!\

I found a Corbin seat used online and jumped on it, looks great, and is an improvement. I think though you'll find that the best reviewed seat, and cheapest, is from Seat Concepts. They ship you foam and cover to put on your stock pan (easy enough to do) Renzaco (spell that right?) is supposed to be great but bigger bucks, and I couldn't find a deal on one in Canada at the time. (Try to shop north of border to support local dealers)

Lynx Fairing from www.britanniacomposites.com is my cure to lighting, and windscreen all in one! Although the 2012 has better lighting I hear? I doubt it will compare to aftermarket...

Don't be like me, and wait a season or two to get the equipment you need! Every bike needs something, and for the Enduro it's a comfy seat cause ya never want to stop other than for gas (uh, and that is another topic regarding tank size) and a windscreen and lights! For me the Lynx will take care of that in a nicely priced option compared to alternatives out there.

Good luck, and enjoy not having a 690! What ARE you waitinig for???

MFS
MFS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Canadian_Bacon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good luck, and enjoy not having a 690! What ARE you waitinig for???

MFS[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha!! Yes, yes...

I bought the KLR because it was my first jump into the Adventure Touring/Enduro type of riding. It got me through a trip to Alaska which was great. However, you are kind of right. I have to admit through out my three week adventure it never really made me smile. I love the simplicity of it and the legendary reliability; however, it never made me smile (not to mention that it's a big of a pig offroad). Hence, why I think the Ktm 690 is the bike for me. Looking forward to owning one!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
BJZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Did all the motor mods Evo Kit, titanium muffler ect and the bike has all the speed I need. Passing at 90 is easy cruise at high normal highway mph, very relaxed. The front gets a little light when your on the throttle but not to bad. I think some suspension changes will improve the handling. No need for a bigger bike.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
kevin2735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I have a 2012 and it has a high speed wobble above 70mph. I installed a Scotts damper and found it eliminated the wobble up to about 85mph. But the wobble can come back under certain turbulence conditions. I cruise the bike at 6000 rpm (80mph) no problem, but mostly go with the flow, which around here is 72-75 mph. The fastest I've had it is about 100mph. It gets there pretty quickly so I am sure it has another 15mph left in it. I'd have a more street oriented front time for testing that, though.

The KLR is probably more comfortable on the highway, but I have a stock seat with a sheepskin. The KLR's I ride with generally cruise under 70mph to keep their oil consumption down.
How would you characterize the vibration at 6000 rpms? I just bought a 2012 690 that is mostly stock but does have a steering dampner, at 5000 RPM's I'm at about 65 MPH and the vibration is beyond unbearable. Funny thing is that it is way more pronounced on the left side than the right, I thought maybe the throttle tube has something to do with that? Maybe I need the front wheel balanced?

http://kevin2735.blogspot.com/
kevin2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Canadian_Bacon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2735 View Post
How would you characterize the vibration at 6000 rpms? I just bought a 2012 690 that is mostly stock but does have a steering dampner, at 5000 RPM's I'm at about 65 MPH and the vibration is beyond unbearable. Funny thing is that it is way more pronounced on the left side than the right, I thought maybe the throttle tube has something to do with that? Maybe I need the front wheel balanced?

I ended picking up a 2010 690 e and am in love!!

In terms of the vibration, yes the 690 does vibrate more than a klr but I've read that you can reduce it greatly what with bar end weights and that type of thing. As far as the vibration being unbearable... mine isn't at all. I've taken her out a few times and spent about 2 hrs. straight riding. Again, yes, more vibration than the klr but by no means unbearable. :( I'm not to sure which of the solutions would help your problem but unbearable definitely isn't how a 690 is supposed to ride.

Anyone have any suggestions for the poor guy?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #12
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Hello Kevin - Mine has been getting steadily smoother. I have about 3700 miles now and is mostly smooth everywhere. The worst is 67-72mph in 6th gear.

During the first 1k miles I thought I made a mistake it was so vibey. Now it is about like I expected. I know it's a thumper, but I can see out of the mirrors and my hands don't tingle. If I wear my winter gloves I don't feel any vibes.

The damper was a major improvement on the freeway, but it took me awhile to figure the best damping levels for the type of turbulence.

I bought a Seat Concepts kit and that was a big improvement in comfort too. I had to have a seat guy install it, though. That was an extra $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2735 View Post
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
gjphilp
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

I bought a Seat Concepts kit and that was a big improvement in comfort too. I had to have a seat guy install it, though. That was an extra $100.
Hi Pantah, where did you find the "seat guy" to install the seat kit?
gjphilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Seat Concepts only charges $20 to install the foam & cover.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Seat Concepts will now do a complete seat for 100 bucks more. I did this so now when I get too old and stiff to get my leg over this monster and sell it, I'll put the stock back on and sell the SC seat to one of you FF's
I put RideOn in my tires and my hiway vibe is close to zero (2011 with about 4000 km on it). Wind buffet is another story
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote