Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #31
2wheelust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
I agree with that. The truth is we've only gotten about 5-6 hours into Saturday (our first day of riding) and it is true that the rest of the trip rocked and we didn't have too much more of it....

Photobucket

Only halfway through the 1st solid day of riding and all boxes have been checked. Sound like the perfect adv ride......
2wheelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #32
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
OK, continuing.. Sorry for the delay.

Also, thx 2WheelLust.. There, everyone, he exists! :)

So just a quick recap here is about the section we've covered for day 1... We're providing some level of intricacy here because there aren't a lot of North-South routes and this was such an awesome trip that at the end we'll post the GPX tracks and anyone can feel free to have have at it, or contact us if you want some specific recommendations. Even though there are a lot of folks on this site I figure if everyone who wanted to use it actually did it would still be completely under-utilized...

This brings us to "DESCENT OFF CEDAR MOUNTAIN" above.

I mentioned earlier that it has rained a lot and we were then starting to see pretty regular examples of washouts etc. My biggest concern is that we would come down something 1/2 way through that completely washed out the trail or some other way that we couldn't proceed, or get back up, and that we'd be stuck. But the "longcut" to get off this, if we didn't get down, would have been hours. So we just did it...

I start the descent. I knew it was going to be a little tough but I had no idea of the relentlessness of the descent in both length and loose rock.

It started getting pretty steep and you can begin to see the rain damage. The trail didn't even look like much of a trail any more..

dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Giving an idea of how steep it is...

Awesome pic of Harcus!

Giv behind him. Bike was mostly off and I think I remember him saying that he was almost excursively using his front brake including at this spot. Crazy...!

Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #34
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

We finally get to the bottom. It was a solid 10-15 minutes of this.. Trail is marked "extreme" and it would be difficult to go up, especially without causing a ton of trail damage and it would be a chore. Therefore we recommend this as a descent mostly..

At first (and especially the spots where he went over 1 or 2 times) Harcus was a little agitated because this was definetly more than he signed up for. But by the end he lit up like a light bulb and it was awesome to come down. Definitely adding some adventure to our adventure!

We turn back and look at the route.. Crazy!! Basically as close to right down the side of the mountain as possible...!

We collect our selves at the bottom and take some photos and I look over at Harcus and he's just grinning ear to ear... Makes my day...

We start cruising again and it is fun and fast and sweepy and soft.. Just the stuff we were looking for.. Yay! We're now offically down in the heart of the swell...

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 12:46 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #35
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pretty soon we come back around to a section of trail that I had ridden with some friends in April and got pumped. This starts becoming really fun and good technical single and double track that goes through river beds and is fun and sweepie. I tell the guys.. We all get psyched.. I remember stopping about 1/3rd through and Kev and Jim were having a great time... Also, it's about 3-3:30ish in the afternoon and we're birds eye maybe only 20 miles to Green River with real food and gas and a little break ahead, so this is nice too...

Here's where it begins...

Here is where we start really seeing some of the rain damage. The terrain is **completely** different than when I rode it last. This was a sandy river bed in April and this is what it looked like today. Holy Flash foods...

This said there is still tons of fun sweepie single and double track..

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 12:49 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #36
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,653
Front brake!

That was so steep that touching the back brake just made it slide, then you're off you line and on your ass. Very smooth front brake loads up all the weight and offers a lot of control. That said, the only time I use my back brake even in normal riding is to get into a powerslide. I use the XR Engine brake a lot, so the back brake isn't needed unless you want to slide.

I've been roosting my 300cc rototiller all morning, and it's a little smoother than my XR.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #37
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think the reason I have so many photos is because it was so awesome. This is an awesome stretch of track that is a BLM marked ATV trail that parrallels Route 6 from Green River to about 3/4s of the way to Price/Wellington...

Tons of sand, so this is where the light bikes definitely help..

Old 09-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #38
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finally we get out of the river beds and back onto some of the local cattle farmer roads and this is a great example of stuff we would ride for hundreds and hundreds of miles on this trip -- no exaggeration. Great stuff, fast, sweepie, perfectly banked to be able to just hook it around these corners as fast as you feel appropriate..

The dust cloud up front is Kevin way the hell up there. He really likes riding fast on fast terrain and on the grated roads...

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 02:59 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #39
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Nice report guys.

This type of terrain is my fave of faves...........pretty safe, super fast, and grippy.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #40
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

We roll into Green River and at first stop by Ray's Tavern. But it's late afternoon/early evening and its packed and the place is feeling like a tourist trap. Every time I've been there it's been like this and I always regretted it when we actually ate there (though Ray's is good). Therefore we went back to my old favorite old haunt, last remodeled in about '72 or so, the West Winds Truck Stop & Cafe, which is open 24 hours, and sort of reminds me of this place...

Kev immediately orders a Crown Royal and they bring it out in a frosted glass and within about an hour we're a couple delicious bacon covered burgers and 2 or 3 beers in and feeling great, and with the food luckily not too drunk, despite being bushed and low on food shortly before.

That night, we had planned on riding another hour or two likely down to North Moab / Dubinky area (which is also completely awesome) but with Ryman out this meant we didn't necessarily have to go the Vernal and now had a clean slate, and could now move a much less challenging pace.

Basically, as Kevin mentioned in an earlier post, we were sort of free to do whatever we wanted to do, and basically just freestyled the rest of the route from this point on, starting at the end of day 2. Which surprisingly went really well and it was awesome...

Therefore we're basically now no longer in any hurry and it's late in the day and we have a light buzz going, so we decided to just head to a local camp site I know of that's on the river...

We stock up on supplies...

These beers would somewhat hilariously be spattered all over the highway about 3 minutes later. Luckily 4 of them made it... The other two I crushed with my moto boots, mid highway, with beer plattering all over the place. Kev also tells us of a similar story on another trip of his except it was an 18 pack and he and his buddies were running around on the highway trying to salvage them, a lot like I was..

Harcus mentioned the campground earlier. This is a place I basically stole from Joe Motocross who goes down there and sets up base out of his box truck (Joe Motocross drives a turbo diesel box truck camper conversion as his only wheels -- classic) and rides for 1-2 weeks and knows all of the trails out there like the back of his hand... The oddest thing is I've stay at this site now for 3 of my last 4 trips...

We roll in about 5PMish and the sun is still out, the place is flat and clean as ever, right on the river, and someone even left us some firewood! This is nice and karma maybe because I left a ton of firewood last time I was here for the next camper..

Shortly after...

Sorry Kev, I just have to post a pic of your Jesus Jumpers..

This is how we set up for the night in front of the fire... Works awesome...

The night becomes long and we have a grand time and shoot the shit about the three of us really being from all different walks of life, yet surprisingly having the same opinions on all sorts of things. The stars are out again, epically...

I now have this memory of us being pretty lit up with all the beer gone and 1/2 the Seagram's gone (did I mention that a closet in the West Winds Truck Stop is the state liquor store?) and Kev still up while Harcus are in our bags and Kev's pretty drunk doing this sort of hip swinging thing almost like he's hoola hoopiing, without the hoola hoop... Hilarious, and we're just BS'ing about Kev's brilliant engineering idea for detachable roller blades, orange KTM versus red Hondas, and all sorts of other things.. Great times...

In the morning, this is a little after sun rise and you can see the tree that was on fire the last time I rolled into this campsite.

to be continued...

dieselcruiserhead screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 03:07 PM
Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #41
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here are a couple of Harcus's photos that I should have used..

Coming off Cedar Mountain:

gathering ourselves at the bottom... Photos of the 3 bikes..

Sweepie.. More rain damage puts lots and lots of soft silty dirt on the roads, which was awesome!

An area down in the river beds where we ran into a little section of some tough rock. Beautiful though..

Down in the cattle roads that Trackhead was just saying he loves also.. Great stuff...

Campsite.. You can see our bikes in the background..

Old 09-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
Unreal, just seeing this.. NOOOOOO !!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #43
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
I hate missing these things.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #44
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,494
That campsite is our takeout/campsite when we used to run the "Green Daily" in whitewater kayaks.

Whitewater kayaking in Utah - hours of boredom, punctuated by moments of sheer terror
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #45
dieselcruiserhead OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nice.. & Nice...