Oddometer: 1,110
Wow

Wow, amazing.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #212
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,243
I've put the finishing touches on the next iteration of the PDU today. I've put copious protection on all in the inputs and outputs. The device should be able to handle a 24V jump start as well as the significant transients (both positive and negative) found in auto environments. I'll try to get these sent out to the fab house next week so I can get one more bike friendly prototype made up.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #213
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I've put the finishing touches on the next iteration of the PDU today. I've put copious protection on all in the inputs and outputs. The device should be able to handle a 24V jump start as well as the significant transients (both positive and negative) found in auto environments. I'll try to get these sent out to the fab house next week so I can get one more bike friendly prototype made up.
Make that two bike-friendly prototypes.
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #214
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

testing transients

I just built up a rig to test the PDU under heavy transient load. Hopefully the gizmo can tame that into something a little bit less awful. That is 5A running into a large toroid inductor with a rapid low side disconnection. That gives us a 94 volt positive transient and 17 volt negative transient. That is plenty to grenade most semiconductors.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #215
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
this is all greek to me but it would be neat to see a variable voltage output to charge devices that don't take 12v. Like this silly 10.1V tablet I have.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #216
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
interested

Subcribed.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #217
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
this is all greek to me but it would be neat to see a variable voltage output to charge devices that don't take 12v. Like this silly 10.1V tablet I have.
We will not be including a voltage regulator in this product. You will have a convenient place to plug one into your bike though.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #218
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Next prototype PCB order is going in tonight. These should be fully protected and ready for use in a vehicle. They should be here in a few weeks and will be built up within a month. These ones will be epoxy potted to confirm the radios work when the devices are rendered waterproof.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #219
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
How do I register interest, pre-order or support this project?
I want one!!!
This unit is absolutely amazing and exactly what I have been looking for.
My bike as a great spot to install this but is a PAIN to access for changing of a fuse or to reset a breaker. Perfect solution.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #220
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
with that power spike you were showing earlier, would one have to worry about that if they were running a, say 800W Linear with it (67A) or is that some other function that you are working on rather than a remote swith/fuze block setup?

This is an old tube setup that I resurected, finding replacement tubes was a chore.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #221
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I'm not sure I follow you. Are you running a 67A power supply from a car?

My PDU needs to be able to handle heavy transient loads because the automotive environment is quite noisy and there are many inductive loads (solenoids for example) that create large transients. Large enough capacitors would be able to tame them, and the input of a linear 800W power supply would likely have giant caps on the input, but again I don't know if I understand what you asking.

Because my device is all solid state, I am most concerned with those transients blowing up the output FETs, and the current sensors. Blowing up the output FETs would be bad because, well you would lose an output. Blowing up the current sensors would be bad because you'd lose the fuse capability.

I've got high side and low side transient protection on all the inputs as well, but that is easier to manage because they are high impedance inputs and small schottky and zener diodes can handle that easily enough. The main power input was also a chore to protect but I got it covered as well.

The last issue I had to handle was 24V jump starting which I understand is quite common on roadside assistance trucks. The standard for automotive electronics is to be able to handle 24V for 5 minutes. I've tried to meet that standard as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
with that power spike you were showing earlier, would one have to worry about that if they were running a, say 800W Linear with it (67A) or is that some other function that you are working on rather than a remote swith/fuze block setup?

This is an old tube setup that I resurected, finding replacement tubes was a chore.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #222
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Subscribed...

I see this taking care of a few issues I expect to deal with shortly as I wire up aux lighting.
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #223
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you running a 67A power supply from a car?

My PDU needs to be able to handle heavy transient loads because the automotive environment is quite noisy and there are many inductive loads (solenoids for example) that create large transients. Large enough capacitors would be able to tame them, and the input of a linear 800W power supply would likely have giant caps on the input, but again I don't know if I understand what you asking.

Because my device is all solid state, I am most concerned with those transients blowing up the output FETs, and the current sensors. Blowing up the output FETs would be bad because, well you would lose an output. Blowing up the current sensors would be bad because you'd lose the fuse capability.

I've got high side and low side transient protection on all the inputs as well, but that is easier to manage because they are high impedance inputs and small schottky and zener diodes can handle that easily enough. The main power input was also a chore to protect but I got it covered as well.

The last issue I had to handle was 24V jump starting which I understand is quite common on roadside assistance trucks. The standard for automotive electronics is to be able to handle 24V for 5 minutes. I've tried to meet that standard as well.
The Linear I am refering to is a 800W output RF booster for a 11 meter band radio (yeah lets say 11 meter and not a meter less ). I would have to look again and make sure it does have caps on the input. I was worried this fuse solution would jepordise old and possibly delicate electronics, now I realize what the spikes were for.

Have you thought about the effects of loosing 1 or more diodes in an alternator and it outputing ac and the effects to this device?
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #224
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

In case I confused others, the PDU does NOT create these voltage spikes. Those kinds of spikes are standard fare in an automotive environment and I created a different circuit to model those transients (voltage spikes) so that I could confirm the PDU can withstand them. The PDU itself should not contribute noise to the system except the noise caused by switching large loads on and off (which would happen if you were using a standard switch).

On the topic of AC, the PDU expects rectified DC at it's input. If you pass it AC it will just turn on and off with the frequency of the AC. It is fully protected from reverse polarity though so it should not otherwise have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
The Linear I am refering to is a 800W output RF booster for a 11 meter band radio (yeah lets say 11 meter and not a meter less ). I would have to look again and make sure it does have caps on the input. I was worried this fuse solution would jepordise old and possibly delicate electronics, now I realize what the spikes were for.

Have you thought about the effects of loosing 1 or more diodes in an alternator and it outputing ac and the effects to this device?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #225
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,563
I'm watching this thread with amazement and excitement. I've never seen a product development shared in such detail!
I don't think that inclusion of constant current LED driver will have much practical use- it would be interesting only for someone building lights at home, as all commercially available ones come a with built-in driver.
It would be more interesting to have a high current USB charging ports compatible with Apple and Android. I think Android needs 200 Ohm between data pins to switch to high current mode, and Apple uses something else.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote