Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #256
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,258
Without understanding how those are wired I cannot know the answer. It sounds like you want one button to be able to select it output circuit with a short click and run that output with a long click. That is not technically difficult, but I do not know what that programming user interface would look like. That is important. We don't want it to be confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
This project has . . . well blown me away.

Hence a question that may have been covered or maybe a little stupid . . . but......

Its in regard to roadbook switches. At the moment some units use a momentary switch that reverses the electrical motor from running the roadbook in both directions. Some people change over to a button system or some may even come with such a system. But such a button system requires 2 buttons.

With your fuse block is it possible to configure it so that a constant button push would drive a roadbook in one direction (1+seconds held down) and then reverse if the button was on/off pressed for less than one second?

The reason for the question is sometimes fitting that standard switch gear and other controls for roadbooks etc can take up a lot of space on the bars. If one button could do both then maybe it may eliminate the extra parts. Obviously this fuse block has many uses just wondering if it could be configured to also do this, or even if it already could be configured to do this?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #257
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi View Post
I think you guys have done an incredible job on this. But the mind boggles... In the end, it's a fuse... I see an article in the making in HBR titled:"Scope creep, an analysis"
Would you believe that this is the dumbed down second version? The original design was a lot more complicated. The first version had environment sensors and those could cause events to occur with the output circuits. This version has significantly simplified, though it did get constant current sources added after the project started. That is the only scope creep in this version I think. I suppose you can say that we just have big ideas.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #258
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Would you believe that this is the dumbed down second version? The original design was a lot more complicated. The first version had environment sensors and those could cause events to occur with the output circuits. This version has significantly simplified, though it did get constant current sources added after the project started. That is the only scope creep in this version I think. I suppose you can say that we just have big ideas.
Oh don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea and a fantastic platform to fan out with over a lot of industries and applications. Fuses are a good small item to wrap the exercise around. The real money is in replacing all of the machine-coded firmware that are used in say luxury boat electronics, where you can fade lights in and out with remotes etc. Add some remote diagnostic capabilities and you can service things from a distance with stuff like logmein.com. Not to speak of the sensing abilities and home alarm applications. I can see an array of places to use the platform. Just for a fuse block, it is about 16,000% more than I would ever use… 
Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #259
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

New PCBs have arrived. Revision 14!

We ordered these boards about 17 days ago. That is a great turn around time. It did take a week of negotiating to settle the details of the order, but I suppose you have to take the good with the bad.

The main difference between this version and the one I've been using is that I've significantly modified the constant current driver circuitry, rerouted a couple sense lines, and attempted to fully protect all the inputs and outputs from large transient spikes that could grenade the delicate silicon on the board.

If I am correct, this is ready for the road or trail!

New PCBs

Pile of new PCBs
Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #260
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Without understanding how those are wired I cannot know the answer. It sounds like you want one button to be able to select it output circuit with a short click and run that output with a long click. That is not technically difficult, but I do not know what that programming user interface would look like. That is important. We don't want it to be confusing.
The current setup for what TIleman is describing in an On/off/On toggle switch. The "left" on would be + / - The "right" On wold be - / +

It simply reverses polarity to the motor and advances or reverses the direction the scroll. So essentially, he's saying that instead of a toggle switch, could we use a single button, that with a >.5 second push it advances, and with a <.5 second push it reverses.

Tileman. Great Idea.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #261
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 105
I don't see the necessity for coding what could be achieved with a momentary rocker/toggle switch.
It has the potential to cause more issues than it fixes.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #262
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
The current setup for what TIleman is describing in an On/off/On toggle switch. The "left" on would be + / - The "right" On wold be - / +

It simply reverses polarity to the motor and advances or reverses the direction the scroll. So essentially, he's saying that instead of a toggle switch, could we use a single button, that with a >.5 second push it advances, and with a <.5 second push it reverses.

Tileman. Great Idea.
Thanks god somebody can correctly explain what I was on about . . . .

Beechum I'll send my ideas through you first

Its just that the normal fitting procedure makes for a wide control system on the bars, but I think I may be able to spare at least 1 button.

I think that on the trail I'd only want to advance the unit is short bursts, say 1~2 seconds, but when reversing is when I'd be feeding the roll on, which would be continuous. I'm sure there is issues with this idea but still
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #263
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The new power board is built. I am waiting on the mil-spec wire to finish it up though. That copper bar across it provides the necessary electron path to move 100A across the board.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #264
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
I don't see the necessity for coding what could be achieved with a momentary rocker/toggle switch.
It has the potential to cause more issues than it fixes.
Ride a rally.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #265
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Nice... Very nice!

Recent follower here. I'll say, I just spent the last several hours reading all 18 pages and watching all the videos starting from page 1. Highly impressed with the progress and ambition you maintained during this project. I can speak from experience; I like gadgets, I've built some pretty useful electronic devices that have made their way out into the field. There's a point in every design phase that you're 'this close' to pulling the plug but you, my friend, are in the home stretch.

I've got an Eastern Beaver PC8 that i'm dying to replace now.

Looking forward to contributing to your Kickstarter goals (wish I had KS when I built my gizmo).
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #266
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I'll tell you what keeps me going. The thing is fricking cool (YMMV). It's hard to explain, but when I hand someone a cell phone and they can control 100A with it they really respond to it. Sort of like taking a liberal out to the desert with trunk full of carbines and letting them blow the crap out of stuff; they start off with a bit of a frown and leave with a huge grin. The user feels this novel ability extend their influence over significant amounts of power beyond their body.

Honestly, that isn't what this device is about. The phone is really for programming (which you might do a couple times a year) and the occasional telemetry reading. Still, having the ability to use it as a remote control for 100A will be what some people will really love about it. I'm imagining show car types controlling their ground effect lighting and hydraulic suspension stuff with it at the local skull & tattoo bar when cute gals wander by their car. I just wanted something better than my Fuzeblock.

See what I mean? That is my liberal girlfriend, now wife, after she got a taste of an M14.
She likes the gizmo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
Recent follower here. I'll say, I just spent the last several hours reading all 18 pages and watching all the videos starting from page 1. Highly impressed with the progress and ambition you maintained during this project. I can speak from experience; I like gadgets, I've built some pretty useful electronic devices that have made their way out into the field. There's a point in every design phase that you're 'this close' to pulling the plug but you, my friend, are in the home stretch.

I've got an Eastern Beaver PC8 that i'm dying to replace now.

Looking forward to contributing to your Kickstarter goals (wish I had KS when I built my gizmo).

craftycoder screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 04:12 PM
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #267
Rigger1221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Awesome product guys.

This is my poor boy version. Controls heated grips , Sat Nav , Komy lights , USB port via ignition switch and relay....no more flat batteries.

Rigger1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #268
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger1221 View Post
Awesome product guys.

This is my poor boy version. Controls heated grips , Sat Nav , Komy lights , USB port via ignition switch and relay....no more flat batteries.

Thanks for reminding me... OK. FZ-1 sitting on my desk to remind me it needs to go down to the bike this afternoon. (Because this other neat power control device I want isn't RTM yet.)

I've been doing 'roll your own' solutions so long that when I was down working on the bike (FJR) last night, I forgot I had it and was planning out where the relay was going to go before I ran a wire down to where the fuse panel will sit.

The T800XC will be up for a re-wire this winter. Maybe if we can convince CC to quit playing and get to work already I'll put one of these on it.

I do more weird crap on the Tiger anyway... Even then, for me, this does more stuff that I don't see a need for. I want to protect my stuff- and I appreciate circuit breaker functionality over fuses- and turn some of it on/off with the motor.

dwoodward screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 09:08 AM
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #269
Rigger1221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
If it helps..this is the wiring diagram , its very simple to do and has really saved my ass on many occasions , with ignition off everything powers down. Mines a Tiger as well , took my live feed to trigger the relay from tail light.

And the relay

Rigger1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #270
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Sure, because I'm just lazing around here.

I was at the shop until almost midnight last night building a jig to chop copper bar into 56.5mm bus bars for the power boards. Then I had to grind them square and too length, and finally polish the edge. Next up is cleaning and tinning the copper so that they can be stored (the copper oxidizes rather fast) and when finally soldered to the boards there will be a strong electrical connection. These should get me 3.654x10-6Ω of impedance across the PCB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Maybe if we can convince CC to quit playing and get to work already I'll put one of these on it.