Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #511
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,210
I'd rather have gas money and tires than one of these too. I get it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Some of us have other priorities for the $ just now. I'm getting ready for Scotty Breauxman's Baja Rally. All my extra money is going to needs for the 3 weeks. I do need two if these, one for each bike, but ........$$$
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #512
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,036
Excited to see the kickstarter active - backed!

Craftycoder, what happens if it's not funded? Will it not be produced?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #513
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I'd rather have gas money and tires than one of these too. I get it!
Not a matter or "rather," but I have to GET to the starting line first!!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #514
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Craftycoder, what happens if it's not funded? Will it not be produced?
I don't want to know the answer to that question. I want to know the answer to the question about what happens after 200 lucky people have and love their Motobrain and 2000 people are knocking down my door to get their own.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #515
ironklad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Thanks for keeping us updated on the project, I just read the latest update on the kickstarter page. It is really amazing what can be done with modern hardware/software and a good dose of creativity and skill. It's great how you are explaining some of the more technical details in a way that can be more easily understood.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ribution/posts

Let's get this launched!
ironklad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #516
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Will the app have the ability to override the screen dim and lockscreen timeout?

Using my iphone handlebar case I could see using this app to monitor current draw or wattage as i'm riding (not always; but as accessories are added). Keeping the screen 'awake' could be a nuisance though.
211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #517
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
Will the app have the ability to override the screen dim and lockscreen timeout?

Using my iphone handlebar case I could see using this app to monitor current draw or wattage as i'm riding (not always; but as accessories are added). Keeping the screen 'awake' could be a nuisance though.
Indeed, I can control the nuisance factor.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #518
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Kickstarter status update

We are just about halfway through our Kickstarter campaign and have reached only 35% of our goal. I still need to find a home for about 125 more units.

I can see that my messaging is flawed. I get a lot of feedback from people saying how needing to look at their phone while they are operating a vehicle is a dumb idea. No doubt, that is true. Thankfully the Motobrain is not about that. It is about allowing people to create highly customized electronic circuits in their vehicles without the need for a bunch of external bits and bobs (PWM drivers, constant current drivers, relays, fuses) or the knowledge of how to use them. The phone is a programming interface and real-time telemetry display. It is not designed to be the daily user interface. Unfortunately, that message is getting lost along the way. People who understand the product tell me it is an amazing tool that they really want. People who complain about it, complain about things that exist only in their imagination have have little to do with Motobrain. I'd prefer the complaints were relevant to the engineering, rather than just evidence of my incompetence as a marketer (a skill I hold no claim to).

Anyway, it just means I need all the more help from you guys to help explain the value proposition to potential supporters so we can get this project launched. I know people will "get it" once they see it in real life. This first hurdle, of getting 200 in the field to spread the word, is proving more challenging than I expected though. So, this is a call to arms. I need your help again to spread the word and to help explain the difficult product message that this is not just some smartphone gizmo, but an intelligent PDU that uses a smartphone as a programming interface.

If you want to see this thing become real, I need you to go out and evangelize. Tell everyone you know with an interest in a super cool gizmo for their bike, boat, or car to check out this awesome new smartphone PROGRAMMABLE PDU. Remind them that the cool feature isn't that you can control it in real-time from your phone, but that you can program it such that it usually doesn't need to be controlled, it just does want you want when you want.

http://kck.st/17XjTrE
Old 09-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #519
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The phone is a programming interface and real-time telemetry display. It is not designed to be the daily user interface.
See the problem? On one hand, it's a "real time" display, on the other you're telling them they don't need it. All of your videos show using a phone to make it do stuff.

Perhaps instead say the phone can be used to program and diagnose circuits, push the "real time" stuff [further] into the background.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #520
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

To those who understand words and their meanings, there is no conflict. The option exists for both.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #521
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The issue is not that the Motobrain's feature set is too limited. It is that it is too manifold. Short attention spans require that I distill the messaging down to a couple minutes to introduce the Motobrain to people. I (perhaps erroneously) focused on the razzle dazzle of the iPhone stuff because it was easy to explain rather than focus on the programming features which are difficult to explain. My expectation was that seeing that "shiny" stuff would draw people in to learn more. I always knew I needed a better pitch to reach "consumers". Because I am only after 200 "early adopters", who are by definition better informed, I figured I could get away with the pitch I used. I am not convinced that I was wrong, but I had hoped to be funded by now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
See the problem? On one hand, it's a "real time" display, on the other you're telling them they don't need it. All of your videos show using a phone to make it do stuff.

Perhaps instead say the phone can be used to program and diagnose circuits, push the "real time" stuff [further] into the background.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #522
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 715
Perhaps you have to distill your message down into simple sound bites (Sales people call it the "Value Proposition", don't they?):

1. Never carry a fuse again. Simple power overload reset by turning power off/on.
2. Simple to setup (don't mention iPhone unless they ask), power on/off delays.
3. Total 100 amps of powered accessories.
4. SMALL size

I'll be committing, just have to lower my CC debt first.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #523
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
Perhaps you have to distill your message down into simple sound bites (Sales people call it the "Value Proposition", don't they?):

1. Never carry a fuse again. Simple power overload reset by turning power off/on.
2. Simple to setup (don't mention iPhone unless they ask), power on/off delays.
3. Total 100 amps of powered accessories.
4. SMALL size
5. Assemble the pile of hardware it can replace in a typical installation- several relays, a PWM gear controller or two, and a bunch of fuse holders.

5a. Hook all that up to a motorcycle battery with wires going everywhere.
5b. replace with prototype unit.

I run three PWM controllers (grips, vest/jacket, LED aux lights), a dedicated GPS outlet with two inputs (one via battery, one direct, depending on what I'm doing); another dedicated outlet for tankbag / phone, a power drop for the autocom / radio, and that's usually where the frustration:farkle curve levels off for me; I can easily imagine 2-3 more depending. (HID headlights and passenger gear, seat heaters, power to topbox...)
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #524
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
6. There are no fuses in space.
Gany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #525
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
6. There are no fuses in space.
at this time of night