User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 AM   #556
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,029
Hey crafty,

I am also interested in this. The hope is not lost, it will just take you more time without the proper funding. I am also looking forward to seeing the results of the R&D, the tests etc .

Dunno if there are sites like these in the US but in the EU there are sites that will let you get whatever money you gathered. May be look into it as well?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #557
moto_dmitriy
que?

Oddometer: 88
I was just brainstorming on how to make this product MUCH more attractive to potential buyers & I think a 5 volt rail to support charing the myriad of USB powered devices everyone brings would likely convince MANY more people to get in on this. Something that can connect to multiple USB sockets and have enough amps for ipads etc.... or better get a programmable output or 2 similar to this:

http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB-200

or an output for each
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #558
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,262
I actually think that is the best part of Kickstarter. I wouldn't want the money if I didn't have enough. You cannot budget properly without known quantities and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Hey crafty,

I am also interested in this. The hope is not lost, it will just take you more time without the proper funding. I am also looking forward to seeing the results of the R&D, the tests etc .

Dunno if there are sites like these in the US but in the EU there are sites that will let you get whatever money you gathered. May be look into it as well?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #559
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,094
I'd personally like to see the current motobrain being the "motobrain pro" and a less expensive "motobrain lite" be developed. Most of us riders only need 4 outputs... aux lights, gps, usb port, heated gear... and maybe some inputs for simple switches, nothing analog...
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #560
rustbucket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
High Tech Fuse Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
I'd personally like to see the current motobrain being the "motobrain pro" and a less expensive "motobrain lite" be developed. Most of us riders only need 4 outputs... aux lights, gps, usb port, heated gear... and maybe some inputs for simple switches, nothing analog...
I'd second this. 4 outputs, two inputs, minimal parts count. I'm not saying the 'pro' isn't awesome or that I don't think it's a great product but if you can sell it for half the price and make money, I'd bet on the 'lite' finding way more than twice the buyers. You could also consider add-on modules, tho that might not be worth the trouble or complexity...

The motobrain as it is now is overkill for my needs but I love the concept. I'd buy a 'lite' in a heartbeat.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #561
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The idea is not dead. Bootstrapping MotoBrain with Kickstarter was a fine idea but it is not a requirement. I will just need to market it another way. In the mean time, R & D proceeds. I've got a pile of new parts on my desk and first MotoBrain with analog inputs will be built very soon. I'm excited to see how that works. As always, I'll keep y'all posted on the news. Thanks for all the support!
The analog aspect while not essential for most, will, as demonstrated by advanced end applications, trickle down aspirations of how its (analog) versatility might actually benefit MOST users in the long run, and it's THEN that we'd all be glad we don't have to try and peddle a 1st gen for a 2nd gen w/ analog. I have no idea how broad your marketing was (have not seen it outside Advrider) but suspect your target density will be much greater in BMW specific forums where motorcyclists are concerned. I want one as well. Almost every bike I have owned in the last decade has increasingly been outfitted with more and more apparati, in ways that could have been greatly simplified AND enhanced by your ideas.
Don't stop. Build this. Many many thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #562
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 815
BTW, I had not even become aware of this concept until AFTER the kickstart campaign expired. I realize marketing and concept development are relentless rivals in time management, but the more places you have linked to others mentioned, breeds links that the viewers carry with them elsewhere... and so on. You may have been but a hair's breadth away from reaching the masses.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #563
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Any news?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #564
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
Any news?
New board built up. I need to write the code for the analog inputs next.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #565
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I’ve been out of town on business for a couple weeks. I got back home Monday and was finally able to program the new board yesterday. I always like to start slow with my testing because with the current this device can push a fire is always a possibility if something is not right. The new high efficiency power supply is working well (otherwise we’d be dead in the water). I was also able to successfully test the high capacity short circuit without damage to the output devices. Furthermore, the new higher measurable current limit and new output devices are working great too. The analog inputs work perfectly as well and are currently able to completely replace the digital inputs I was using before. They also will allow much more complex features I have not yet implemented but can imagine. Things like knobs for dimming lights and controlling loads with temperature or light sensors among many other cool ideas.

So far, this new board has worked exactly according to plan. I am stoked! So stoked in fact that I just purchased a new thermal imaging camera yesterday to start observing the thermal characteristics of the Motobrain as well. Worst case scenario, the thermal imaging camera is going to provide us with some awesome photos!

The next step is to create all the new analog functions and update the iOS software to support those functions. Once I am happy with that, I’ll redesign the boards one more time adding 4 more analog inputs and completely removing the digital input circuitry which is officially deprecated now. I’ll take that opportunity to reconsider the physical layout as well. I am considering a waterproof plug for all the low current IO. It should make the product quite a bit better looking.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #566
Dominic49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I’ve been out of town on business for a couple weeks. I got back home Monday and was finally able to program the new board yesterday. I always like to start slow with my testing because with the current this device can push a fire is always a possibility if something is not right. The new high efficiency power supply is working well (otherwise we’d be dead in the water). I was also able to successfully test the high capacity short circuit without damage to the output devices. Furthermore, the new higher measurable current limit and new output devices are working great too. The analog inputs work perfectly as well and are currently able to completely replace the digital inputs I was using before. They also will allow much more complex features I have not yet implemented but can imagine. Things like knobs for dimming lights and controlling loads with temperature or light sensors among many other cool ideas.

So far, this new board has worked exactly according to plan. I am stoked! So stoked in fact that I just purchased a new thermal imaging camera yesterday to start observing the thermal characteristics of the Motobrain as well. Worst case scenario, the thermal imaging camera is going to provide us with some awesome photos!

The next step is to create all the new analog functions and update the iOS software to support those functions. Once I am happy with that, I’ll redesign the boards one more time adding 4 more analog inputs and completely removing the digital input circuitry which is officially deprecated now. I’ll take that opportunity to reconsider the physical layout as well. I am considering a waterproof plug for all the low current IO. It should make the product quite a bit better looking.

that is a sexy looking connector and even sexier updates in regards to analog.
Dominic49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #567
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,270
I'm droolin' here. At that point (IIUC 8 analog inputs), this could replace about every circuit I've ever installed on any bike, in one lump.

And no need to hook it up to a windows box to set it up.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #568
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Analog Inputs

I've completed most of the firmware for the analog inputs. They work great. All the digital input functions remain and more can be implemented. The new analog input functions are as follows.
  • Standard Analog Input
    • User selects 1 or more outputs
    • User sets a low voltage threshold and PWM duty cycle for an input below that level
    • User sets a high voltage threshold and PWM duty cycle for an input above that level
    • User sets a PWM duty cycle for an input between the two thresholds
  • Linear Potentiometer
    • User sets a low voltage threshold and PWM duty cycle for an input below that level
    • User sets a high voltage threshold and PWM duty cycle for an input above that level
    • The PWM duty cycle for the selected outputs scale linearly between the low PWM value and high PWM value with respect to the low and high voltage threshold
  • Logarithmic Potentiometer
    • The PWM duty cycle for the selected outputs scale logarithmicly between the low PWM value and high PWM value with respect to the low and high voltage threshold
Old 11-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #569
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,054
Say I have grip heaters, but the throttle side runs hotter. Can I set 2 outputs to run together on a pot but offset with voltage output?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report

Trl Rdr screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 05:30 PM
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #570
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl Rdr View Post
Say I HAVE HEATED GRIPS, but the throttle side runs hotter. Can I set 2 outputs to run together on a pot but offset with voltage output?
Seriously…