Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #811
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Has that model got the 4 posts for the transparent plate? Just checking... How about the motobrain logo along the top edge? You could cast that straight into the resin.
Good eye Gany! I was just going to drill the holes for the standoffs and insert them in by hand using one of the old covers as a guide. There is no Motobrain logo on there because I wanted the heat sink instead. I figured I would try affixing a sticker to one of the sides an see how I like it. Putting an extruded logo on the side would have been a bad idea because it would hurt the mold. I don't know how much detail the silicone can transfer but I plan to find out and see what happens and maybe stick is on the end without the heat sink on it.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #812
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Silicone will pick up more detail than the naked eye can see... As a visual example, here is a pic of a resin casting I made of a fairing. The edge of the fairing and drill holes were blocked out with plasticine. My finger prints in the plasticine and the polishing marks along with orange peel of the fairing paint work had transferred to the casting as a result of the detail silicone picks up:

Perhaps the Motobrain text could go on the opposite side to the inputs?

If you plan on making a block silicone mold about 1/2inch thick all the way around the motobrain dummy, the mold shouldnt get damaged (provided there are no superfine parts being molded) and you wont need a mother mold (hard casing to sit the silicone mold in). These guys make great tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3eR89iGyio

If you need a hand with any 3d modelling let me know and I might be able to help.
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #813
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Thoughts about the "Thinker"? I like the logo text there but I'm not sold on the robot on there. I could put a second one upside down on the other side of hte text or change the orientation or skip it. Opinions?

BTW, Gany gets a gold star for helping me transfer the Logo into the 3D drawing.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #814
draco_1967
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I'd say leave the thinker off of the small logo.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player, a saw blade, a fork, and an umbrella.
draco_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #815
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 588
IME a logo is only useful as an advertising device if it is likely to be recognised by the consumer as part of the brand and then trigger a reaction.

For small business it's a dubious benefit, as the dollars required to promote the logo to memorable status are stratospheric. However it's important to have one and IMO the thinker is a good one for your image, it's just not necessary for brand recognition to have it on the product, just the styalised name is enough I reckon.

Not to mention it visually crowds the space available on the product.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #816
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I built up a new Motobrain this evening in advance of the new Silicone mold that I'll put together this weekend. Here it is on the testing jig being run through it's paces.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #817
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 114
Makes me think of the seagullls from Finding Nemo, and what they say when they see a crab.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #818
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

You could always engrave the thinker on the clear plastic panel? Or alternatively place it on the bottom face and cast it into the resin however it wont be seen when mounted. Both extra work/cost for possibly little gain other than add to the professional look.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #819
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I am inclined to skip the Thinker or go with a sticker. I do like the badge though. It looks nice.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #820
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Motobrain has been installed on another bike. It fits fine and this bike has hardly any space down there.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #821
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
Can't wait to replace mine.

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #822
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Silicone mold poured

I poured the silicone mold this morning. The process is quite fast. We shall see tomorrow how it looks. I am cautiously optimistic. My vacuum pump had a little performance anxiety today. While my tests showed it could achieve 30 inches of mercury of vacuum, it only got to 25 inches today, so that may be an issue. It looks fine though, not too many bubbles. This is just a test run anyway because the mold master is not perfect. I should learn plenty from this and frankly this only needs to be adequate. Perfection is something that my manufacturer needs to deal with. I am making samples and they can just be good.

IMG_20140325_120500_370[1]
Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #823
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I poured the silicone mold this morning. The process is quite fast. We shall see tomorrow how it looks. I am cautiously optimistic. My vacuum pump had a little performance anxiety today. While my tests showed it could achieve 30 inches of mercury of vacuum, it only got to 25 inches today, so that may be an issue. It looks fine though, not too many bubbles. This is just a test run anyway because the mold master is not perfect. I should learn plenty from this and frankly this only needs to be adequate. Perfection is something that my manufacturer needs to deal with. I am making samples and they can just be good.

depending on your resin, 25 should be good enough. I've poured it without any vacuum and gotten perfect results on the plug surface. put an orbital sander on there for a bit too.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #824
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I just cast a fake Motobrain into the silicone mold. It has the PCBs and external terminals but no electronics inside. If I am happy with the results I'll go ahead and cast a real one. We will know what it looks like tomorrow.

E5D3E5EB-1E98-4CE4-B242-64B094667D7F[1]
Old 03-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #825
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats exciting! Cant wait to see the result. How did the mold look? Was it difficult to get the dummy MB out or there was enough flex in the silicone (seems pretty thick in parts). If they wont come outnicely, some compressed air might help pop them out.