Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #856
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223
A new Motobrain is in the mold. I vacuumed it 3 times during the fill process at 25" of mercury and tilted it around get the air out. I hope I didn't fill up the wire terminals while I was doing such a good job getting the air out .

I also got the last Motobrain back in a mold for that little repair job.

Hopefully these two will be good and ready to ship this week. I'm excited to get more user feedback.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #857
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
A new Motobrain is in the mold. I vacuumed it 3 times during the fill process at 25" of mercury and tilted it around get the air out. I hope I didn't fill up the wire terminals while I was doing such a good job getting the air out .

I also got the last Motobrain back in a mold for that little repair job.

Hopefully these two will be good and ready to ship this week. I'm excited to get more user feedback.
Even if you got some in the threads, it is easy enough to chase them gently.

sent from my phablet.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #858
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
Even if you got some in the threads, it is easy enough to chase them gently.

sent from my phablet.
I'm more concerned about the inputs, but I taped them well. They will probably hold. A lot of gas leaked out of the resin during this process. I think this will be the best one yet.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #859
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I just got some good news. The gentleman who received the first prototype I shipped out sent me a progress report. "Perfect" for his needs. He wants to know when he can get more. He is an OEM and distributor. This is a good start.

Nothing changes in the plans though. Need to get the factory online and get some pre-production units built to acquire more purchase orders so a real production run can be done at an affordable price point.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #860
jpr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
That's good news! You have a ton of people here waiting so i am sure these will sell in bulk. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'02 Kawasaki KX250 (Sold)
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #861
05magmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
This would be cool to find a way to make it plug and play to replace the original fuse box in the bikes! installing this product correctly could really change the electrical capabilities of bikes!! this is very interesting and cool! for example the modulating portion could almost infinitely adjustable heated grips, seat, vests, etc.
05magmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #862
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05magmn View Post
This would be cool to find a way to make it plug and play to replace the original fuse box in the bikes!
Tall order. The wiring harnesses are all different. The smarter move for me would be to license the tech to bike manufacturers but that only works for the highest end bikes where the customers are not cost sensitive. Maybe I should call H-D? I hear they sell crazy expensive bikes.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #863
05magmn
Gnarly Adventurer

What is the cost looking like for these?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #864
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05magmn View Post
What is the cost looking like for these?
The target is $300 retail. I'll know if I can reach that target in a few weeks when the manufacturing quotes come back.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #865
05magmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Not bad, for this type of thing. Its seem very similar to what most heavy equipment multiplexing, And with the I phone app it will be a great electrical problem diagnosis tool! say your cooling fan does not work, pull out the iphone, see what the inputs and outputs are, if its a bad switch, or wiring from the switch turn it on manually through the I phone and make it home!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #866
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Tall order. The wiring harnesses are all different. The smarter move for me would be to license the tech to bike manufacturers but that only works for the highest end bikes where the customers are not cost sensitive. Maybe I should call H-D? I hear they sell crazy expensive bikes.

There would be a market (perhaps too small) in the custom bike builds community. The moto gadget m-unit replaces the stock harnesses entirely and is much neater and simpler than running a bunch of relays for this and that... I could see a variation of the motogadget doing the same just better.
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #867
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The vacuum was extremely effective at removing voids. So much so that the input terminals are completely filled with resin.

At least I can say I made all the possible mistakes before I got it working right. BTW, the repair worked fine. No more void.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #868
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #869
Steigs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
That came out great!

Been watching this thread for a while now, as I really want one of these :)

My only complaint, and just a casual suggestion at best, is the lack of any isolation between the terminals.

Given the point you're at in the process, I don't know how hard it would be to add something to the unit itself, but perhaps the cover plate could have some sort of fins that go between the terminals?

I know we're not talking thousands of volts here or anything, but I've rarely seen a terminal strip without some kind of isolation between the points. Especially on a device that can be subject to some serious jostling and vibration it just seems to be a good idea.

Anyhow, it's still a kick ass product and I can't wait to own one!

Just my $.02
Steigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #870
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Separators could be added to the mold, no problem there.

We are talking 12V though. Look at this PCB from a Fluke 87V. It is a 1000V safe multimeter. They do not have double the creepage space I have yet they have 100 times the voltage. Use a ring terminal and the wires are not going to move.

On the PCB I've only got .016" space between 12V and ground. BTW, that is over 16 times the required distance by international convention. That international standard is 0.000984" (0.025mm) minimum spacing for 25V of potential. This is just a non issue from an arcing perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
That came out great!

Been watching this thread for a while now, as I really want one of these :)

My only complaint, and just a casual suggestion at best, is the lack of any isolation between the terminals.

Given the point you're at in the process, I don't know how hard it would be to add something to the unit itself, but perhaps the cover plate could have some sort of fins that go between the terminals?

I know we're not talking thousands of volts here or anything, but I've rarely seen a terminal strip without some kind of isolation between the points. Especially on a device that can be subject to some serious jostling and vibration it just seems to be a good idea.

Anyhow, it's still a kick ass product and I can't wait to own one!

Just my $.02