Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #961
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post

As for liability, I don't think courts hold mascara companies responsible for accidents caused by women who are putting it on in the car. I don't think they are going to hold me responsible either. Is the maker of Angry Birds responsible if someone is playing while driving? All I can do it get insurance and hope for the best. I do not expect to make an "in motion" UI though. I've made the creation of tactile interfaces easy exactly so the phone can stay in your pocket.
To get to a court decision, you've already spent a lot of money on lawyers.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #962
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
To get to a court decision, you've already spent a lot of money on lawyers.
That is what the insurance is for. You buy the insurance company's good faith effort to defend their money.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #963
Buster452
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
While each circuit can be controlled with external switches and dials instead of the phone, remember that motorcycles are not the only application.

I'm thinking this will work great on my boat too and it would be nice to control circuits on my phone or an old tablet.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #964
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster452 View Post
While each circuit can be controlled with external switches and dials instead of the phone, remember that motorcycles are not the only application.

I'm thinking this will work great on my boat too and it would be nice to control circuits on my phone or an old tablet.
Agreed
Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #965
beechum1
Grimace Soup

Oddometer: 8,358
Great observations, great direction.

Buttons and switches are intended to be used for making changes to existing setups, grips, vests, lights etc while moving. Setting your bikes up correctly will exclude all other arguments for "moving UI" and "liability."
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #966
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 296
Control

So have you incorporated voice control into the app yet?

They you can have voice control change settings, at least where you have an internet connection.

I for one am ready to rip out my fuzeblock.

K
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #967
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
This is about the limit of my paint.net skills. Aircraft engine guage inspired. There are a couple of different buttons in the middle to represent each circuit on or off. I think I like the simple text saying 'ON' or 'OFF' best. For ascending/descending States you could put extra red markers on the dials if the divisions relate to amps/volts (I have no clue here... very limited electronics knowledge).

Hopefully that wasnt a total waste of my evening and that you get something out of it! It still looks a touch busy, maybe ditching the indicator arrows and just having the orange and green bands fluctuating would tidy it up a bit.
Gany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #968
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,838
I love this project. You are one talented guy...
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #969
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I do not like voice control personally. I want to KNOW that something will happen when I tell it to happen. Voice control just isn't that reliable. I don't think there is a viable replacement for a tactile experience when operating a switch without being able to look at it.

There are some exciting technologies that provide a real tactile experience with a touchscreen but they are not yet available in smartphones. It makes a piece of glass feel like a a moving button, its cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
So have you incorporated voice control into the app yet?

They you can have voice control change settings, at least where you have an internet connection.

I for one am ready to rip out my fuzeblock.

K
Old 05-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #970
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Gany, I see where you are going with this and like it. The one significant problem I see is that the Inputs and the Outputs are not related to each other directly. Input 1 and output 1 have no fixed relationship. You can define many to many relationships (input 1 affects outputs 3, 4, & 8, while input 2 affects 5, 6, & 8) so I think it would be confusing to put the input voltages on the same dial as an unrelated output. At the same time it is an obvious way to conserve the screen space.

We could have 16 dials but that seems a bit busy. Perhaps 8 dials for the outputs and 8 smaller indicators for the inputs in the between them.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #971
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 525
am I wrong in thinking that the smartphone itself was the inputs the sliders on screen(in one of your earlier motobrain app pics.) directly affected the outputs.or are you guys refering aditional inputs buttons and knobs and stuff. personally I liked the sliders as percentage or on off interface better. much simplier and cleaner.those guages are uneccesary. old gui much better. thats what I thought this was. a way to control outputs from smartphone without extra knobs buttons relays pwms etc. I hope the inputs are aux. or my dreams are shattered.if input one was a knob that controlled 3 items. I can see how that can get cluttered on screen. but linking sliders .where slider 1 on screen would make outputs one two and three slide . easy

satur9 screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 12:28 PM
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #972
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
am I wrong in thinking that the smartphone itself was the inputs the sliders on screen(in one of your earlier motobrain app pics.) directly affected the outputs.or are you guys refering aditional inputs buttons and knobs and stuff. personally I liked the sliders as percentage or on off interface better. much simplier and cleaner.those guages are uneccesary. old gui much better
When we are referring to "inputs" we mean the eight screw down terminals that can be programmed to trigger the outputs to turn on or off at various levels of intensity based on arbitrary voltages you configure within the user interface. http://youtu.be/ib-qav3_5BA?t=3m50s

You also have full control of the device from your smartphone or tablet, but that is not how I expect or intend it to be used in motor vehicle setting. The tablet may be the primary UI in an RV or boat, but I expect people to setup a tactile user interface with real buttons and/or knobs in a car or motorcycle setting.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #973
satur9
angry black guy

okay I watched the ios7 video I was way off base. but theoretically how hard would it be to use that layout. your eight outputs on screen. you have your on off buttons or sliders and instead of bar graph to the right,your graph is your slider is your control. you get what im saying. you put your finger on the graph and move it left and right to control outputs.mabey motobrain 2. I know that you would need pwm in some cases but mabey as a plug in module. so you only buy as many as needed. would this also need adp2 . or whatever bluetooth. that would allow your phone to control the motobrain?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #974
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
okay I watched the ios7 video I was way off base. but theoretically how hard would it be to use that layout. your eight outputs on screen. you have your on off buttons or sliders and instead of bar graph to the right,your graph is your slider is your control. you get what im saying. you put your finger on the graph and move it left and right to control outputs.mabey motobrain 2. I know that you would need pwm in some cases but mabey as a plug in module. so you only buy as many as needed. would this also need adp2 . or whatever bluetooth. that would allow your phone to control the motobrain?
The Motobrain can supply PWM to all the outputs and the one slider on the screen now can be used to set the immediate PWM duty cycle of any output you want in jiffy. There is not anything extra to purchase (except the smartphone of course).

What we are talking about now is an alternative smartphone user interface (UI). I am recreating the iOS UI for Android (in fact, it is just about finished). It is utilitarian. It does everything you need and nothing you don't. Still, I am interested in creative ideas for alternative user interfaces as well. Something with sex appeal. I'm an engineer who considers utility to be paramount and have little talent for design. I believe some portion of the potential customer base will see a "sexy" user interface and infer quality of the product when there is no actual relationship between the two things. A cool high tech looking UI with an airplane motif or a steam punk inspired UI might be totally awesome to look at though.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #975
satur9
angry black guy

wow quick answer. this is what I wanted to use it for. I have a waterproof phone mount on my bikes. instead of reaching for my heat troller akwardly clipped to my pants legs. then reaching over to turn on heated grips. etc. I can just slide the slider on the phone in front of me. and before I get all the flames about using it will driving riding. how is it different that the gps unit my bike came with.