output setup screen progress

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #977
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
wow quick answer. this is what I wanted to use it for. I have a waterproof phone mount on my bikes. instead of reaching for my heat troller akwardly clipped to my pants legs. then reaching over to turn on heated grips. etc. I can just slide the slider on the phone in front of me. and before I get all the flames about using it will driving riding. how is it different that the gps unit my bike came with.
I'm not going to flame you but it is not exactly an ideal solution either.
I'd like to encourage you to watch this video below all the way to the end. It is only 2 minutes long. It shows how you can setup a basic momentary button with one leg connected to an input of Motobrain and the other connected to ground to adjust the PWM. This sort of button will cost you a few bucks and the install is simple as can be. You don't have to take your eye of the road as a result.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #978
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 466
okay great last questions. ties in with first and second post. you have inputs at top of screen then a slider .then your outputs under that with an on off indicator and bar graph. can it be custon configured. were instead of pressing one thru eight input then using slider. the bar graph on the outputs is your slider. full left is off . full right is 100. or if its just on and on. left off right on. without the seperate on /off indicator and slider inputs on top. seems a little cleaner. easier. not a deal breaker just a thought.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #979
satur9
angry black guy

yes I did watch the video before last post.i was trying to get rid of all the extra knobs and buttons and .flash to pass wired in relays I have. to make that switch control more ouputs I still have to press an input or ouput button on screen , yes? output 1 slide it done . or linked sliders if needed.

satur9 screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 01:41 PM
Old 05-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #980
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 114
CC, looks like you're falling into that pitfall associated with all Bling and no substance. Though in this case you're trying to make substance look even prettier. The proverbial Painted Lady.
I can't say I disagree with your concern about the UI attracting a second glance, but I'm left thinking about the type of user you'll attract and the one you may drive away. In the end, those concerned about the look will probably put down this sort of cash based on a good referral from their trusty geek friend. The one they only talk about for cred, but don't bring to parties. (BTW, he's the guy who has the tools to fix their flat out on the trail when they manage to get to this level of riding on their pretty bike, or other toy as the case may be. I don't sound jaded, do I?) The concern I have is that too much bling will drive away the function seeking geek and shortchange you on the recommendations and referrals.
So my question, can you set the MB up with Skins for a variety of UIs? I know it's hard to please everyone all of the time, but it may be a step in that direction. Please some and fool the rest.
FWIW, I like the KISS method. Clean and simple so one can, at a glance, get the info you need. I like the suggestion with a layout that matches the physical geometry of the MB. Single tap for on/off and long hold perhaps to open up a 2nd screen for further editing options and status data.
I can't say enough about the great work so far, this tool is really taking shape. I envy your perseverance and Ilook forward to that first shipment you get to sell.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #981
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9 View Post
okay great last questions. ties in with first and second post. you have inputs at top of screen then a slider .then your outputs under that with an on off indicator and bar graph. can it be custon configured. were instead of pressing one thru eight input then using slider. the bar graph on the outputs is your slider. full left is off . full right is 100. or if its just on and on. left off right on. without the seperate on /off indicator and slider inputs on top. seems a little cleaner. easier. not a deal breaker just a thought.
It is only a question a screen space and utility. If a UI can be designed that removes no necessary functionality and creates more functionality then it will be adopted. I understand that you want 8 sliders on the screen, one for each output. I've tried it, didn't work for me so I dumped it. I might be able to create a custom widget that did both things or remove the progress bar all together and replace it with just a numeric display. I am inclined to do nothing significant without someone SHOWING me what they mean by actually drawing it out. It is easy to describe a change, but without drawing it you cannot really know if something else got lost in the change.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #982
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Excellent View Post
CC, looks like you're falling into that pitfall associated with all Bling and no substance. Though in this case you're trying to make substance look even prettier. The proverbial Painted Lady.
I can't say I disagree with your concern about the UI attracting a second glance, but I'm left thinking about the type of user you'll attract and the one you may drive away. In the end, those concerned about the look will probably put down this sort of cash based on a good referral from their trusty geek friend. The one they only talk about for cred, but don't bring to parties. (BTW, he's the guy who has the tools to fix their flat out on the trail when they manage to get to this level of riding on their pretty bike, or other toy as the case may be. I don't sound jaded, do I?) The concern I have is that too much bling will drive away the function seeking geek and shortchange you on the recommendations and referrals.
So my question, can you set the MB up with Skins for a variety of UIs? I know it's hard to please everyone all of the time, but it may be a step in that direction. Please some and fool the rest.
FWIW, I like the KISS method. Clean and simple so one can, at a glance, get the info you need. I like the suggestion with a layout that matches the physical geometry of the MB. Single tap for on/off and long hold perhaps to open up a 2nd screen for further editing options and status data.
I can't say enough about the great work so far, this tool is really taking shape. I envy your perseverance and Ilook forward to that first shipment you get to sell.
Like I said a few posts ago, I am not talking about dumping the current UI. I'm looking to add another one that offers some eye candy. The current UI is perfectly adequate. Some eye popping graphics would be cool though. I'm just not creative like that.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #983
satur9
angry black guy

Photo: http://smu.gs/1mJo3z0 see the powerlet output circled in red. its at 4.5 amps I literally put my finger there and slide it to 10 for full power. no seperate slider.and if you wanted to give the outputs a little more screen room eliminate the on off button. just press the output to turn it on.it can be white for on gray for off. this can be just one theme out of however many it will have

satur9 screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 11:57 AM
Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #984
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Old 05-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #985
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,872
Help me out a little- I see samples with volts and amps. Is "volts" indicating average volts on a PWM controlled circuit? I'm not sure I care as much as PWM duty cycle as a percentage of "full power".

I like the dials, but (to my mind) it's a little cluttered; lose the pointer showing current current (heh) and just show the "gauge" indicator, maybe with a pointer at the trip point; the input that controls it can maybe be a bar along one side (top left bottom or right) of it. Yeah, one input can control multiple...

Then have a separate screen that shows outputs arranged by which input controls them? So if input one is tied to key on, then all the key-on outputs are shown next to it. Turn the key on, verify the circuits you think should be on come on, make sure those gizmos came on.

This may be a new product idea, because CraftyCoder clearly has so much free time he's futzing with silly details () I have an increasing number of devices (phone, BT headset, BT 2-way interface, smart watch, GPS) that are powered or charged on 5VDC (USB). I don't think I can do that as a PWM function- a multi-bank (4?6?) 12VDC to USB charging device would be keen. Probably I can do it myself.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #986
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The 8 voltage dials are for the 8 inputs. They are UNRELATED to the voltage at the outputs. The inputs can be linked to any number of outputs so it doesn't make a lot of sense in my mind to related them in the user interface. I would like to be able to swap out the input number with an icon though so it can be more informative. I can tell you that I already have no idea what circuits are on what inputs on all my bikes.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #987
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
bling controls we all need here
Old 05-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #988
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The Chinese assembly house was delayed by a part shortage and they will not ship the assembled Motobrain boards for another 2 weeks or so. Likewise the Taiwanese PCB fabricator faced a delay and those boards will not ship for another 3 days. I did receive some sample boards from a Japanese fabricator and holy cow, they are truly top notch! They may not look like much, but they are heavy, thick, sturdy.

powertop
I am also in talks with a couple injection molding outfits. I should know more about that in a few days. I was forced to create a better 3D model of Motobrain for them so I'll share that with y'all.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #989
tdcarter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
The Chinese assembly house was delayed by a part shortage and they will not ship the assembled Motobrain boards for another 2 weeks or so. [...] I am also in talks with a couple injection molding outfits. I should know more about that in a few days.

I'd be happy with just buying the first part as a working DIY kit. Skip the encapsulation... just my thoughts.
T
tdcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #990
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdcarter View Post
i'd be happy with just buying the first part as a working diy kit. Skip the encapsulation... Just my thoughts.
T
+2
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote