Oddometer: 56
Looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mikemaycga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #1052
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
I tried searching the thread, but couldn't find the info. What microprocessor are you using in the MotoBrain?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #1053
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKinOR View Post
I tried searching the thread, but couldn't find the info. What microprocessor are you using in the MotoBrain?
There are two. An Intel 8051 derivative and an Atmel AVR. Why do you ask?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #1054
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
There are two. An Intel 8051 derivative and an Atmel AVR. Why do you ask?
Just curiosity. I'm working on a project that started out on an Arduino Micro, but has outgrown it and am trying to decide where to go next.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #1055
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Motobrain Automated Test Fixture

The automated test fixture is ready to send off to the factory. The rest of the parts for manufacturing will arrive on Monday I believe. Once they arrive, they will get boxed up and shipped to Florida.

The test fixture is used to confirm the electronics are all in working order before they are encapsulated.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #1056
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I built up a Motobrain using the production PCB and preprogrammed chips to confirm we are on track when the manufacturing begins. Everything looks great. Time to ship the parts to the factory and get these things built!

IMG_9773
Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #1057
pro-bassoonist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Excellent!!

Wow, I bet you are happy! A LOT of work. I can't wait!

Quote:
I built up a Motobrain using the production PCB and preprogrammed chips to confirm we are on track when the manufacturing begins. Everything looks great. Time to ship the parts to the factory and get these things built!

IMG_9773
pro-bassoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #1058
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Wow, I bet you are happy! A LOT of work. I can't wait!
Somewhere between happy and terrified. If I thought I was busy before when I was just dreaming up this contraption, I can only imagine how the work load magnifies once it is "out there". Sales, support, and marketing have always been things I imagine are for OTHER people to do. Yet it needs to be done and I am it.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #1059
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Parts for the first manufacturing run have been shipped to the factory.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #1060
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
Well done.
The work involved in a project like this must be massive good on you for sticking at it.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #1061
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I've learned a ton during this process. It has been well worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Well done.
The work involved in a project like this must be massive good on you for sticking at it.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #1062
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome! I can't wait to see them available!

I know a little bit of what you are going through. Last April I started out to build a simple voltmeter/thermometer using an Arduino Micro and a 16x2 LCD. Four months later, it has evolved to a 32-bit Cortex based microcontroller, 2.7" OLED display that will also include a GPS track logger to an SD card, multiple trip meters, accelerometer, inclinometer, RTC, and other miscellaneous features, including a menu based set up for time zone, DST, etc.

And it's still a work in progress. I wasted a lot of time trying to get the features I wanted to fit into the small amount of flash on the Arduino Micro, then realizing it won't ever fit. Then trying to decide what hardware to migrate to. I'm finalizing the second PCB design using the new microcontroller. It's been an interesting process, but certainly not what I planned on when I started. Hopefully I can send the prototype board design out this week.

EKinOR screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 07:25 PM
EKinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 AM   #1063
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I know all about feature creep and flash limitations. This project has its own set of complexities around the high power throughput and protecting the device from the horrors of motorcycles (voltage transients,mud,dust,drownings).

Quote:
Awesome! I can't wait to see them available!

I know a little bit of what you are going through. Last April I started out to build a simple voltmeter/thermometer using an Arduino Micro and a 16x2 LCD. Four months later, it has evolved to a 32-bit Cortex based microcontroller, 2.7" OLED display that will also include a GPS track logger to an SD card, multiple trip meters, accelerometer, inclinometer, RTC, and other miscellaneous features, including a menu based set up for time zone, DST, etc.

And it's still a a work in progress. I wasted a lot of time trying to get the features I wanted to fit into the small amount of flash on the Arduino Micro, the realizing it won't ever fit. Then trying to decide what hardware to migrate to. I'm finalizing the second PCB design using the new microcontroller. It's been an interesting process, but certainly not what I planned on when I started. Hopefully I can send the prototype board design out this week.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #1064
EKinOR
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I know all about feature creep and flash limitations. This project has its own set of complexities around the high power throughput and protecting the device from the horrors of motorcycles (voltage transients,mud,dust,drownings).
The MotoBrain certainly is a complex piece of electrical engineering, especially given the high power nature.

Voltage protection is the last piece I've been working on. Do you have any good references you can point me to? Right now I'm just using a TVS diode for a voltage clamp and a large diode for reverse polarity protection (the voltage drop is unimportant to me).
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #1065
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
The MotoBrain certainly is a complex piece of electrical engineering, especially given the high power nature.

Voltage protection is the last piece I've been working on. Do you have any good references you can point me to? Right now I'm just using a TVS diode for a voltage clamp and a large diode for reverse polarity protection (the voltage drop is unimportant to me).
I use a PFet for reverse protection.
I found that a transorb (tvs diode) was ineffective alone for voltage spikes so I also included some LC filters with their own diode protection.
I use a PTC for temperature protection.