Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #1126
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
Thanks Crafty, I am a backyard wiring type of bloke with zero understanding of electronic theory and have been known to let the smoke out on many occasions, so it's good to know that the design theory should be compatible - I'll let you know how it goes

To be honest, I was surprised at the response from Clearwater. I was interested in a bit of inside electrical comment on the application and possibilities for customisation, not a rush to the "warranty will be void" bottom line. Maybe that's a product of a prevalent customer attitude of "it's not my fault and you should fix it" and in that light is understandable.

My take on it is, let's come up with interesting applications for the MB to solve real world problems and if that means letting a bit of smoke out then so be it; bring it on.

Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #1127
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,262
I concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
My take on it is, let's come up with interesting applications for the MB to solve real world problems and if that means letting a bit of smoke out then so be it; bring it on.

Thanks again.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #1128
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 815
Cost? Im pretty good at skimming over the details so sorry if you already covered that.

This thing is pretty friggen awesome! Ive been going back and forth on buying a nicer fuse block for my 9fitty as the one I have right now I got for $6. It works but it takes up a lot of space. Knowing the power consumption and being able to reset fuses while on the go is perfect! Im tired of carrying around a ton of spare fuses "just in case".
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #1129
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 932
We could test it. But, I believe it's not going to be straight forward on account of the way the CWL volume control is setup. Further if you have a BMW with an HID or LED headlight, that poses two additional challenges with the high beam and horn trigger using anything other than CWL's volume control or Can Opener in the case of the LED headlight.

Quote:
I emailed Clearwater Lights to ask if they thought that it might be possible to replace their LED light dimmer circuit with the PWM circuit control in the Motobrain...

Unfortunately their response (copied below) did not offer any information one way or the other, so I guess I'll just suck it and see when the time comes.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the contact. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the Motobrain. I just cannot support use of our product with it. I would have to acquire one and do sufficient testing to confirm any compatibility. As you can imagine, such work would be very time consuming and unfortunately, of little value to our engineering department. We have so many projects ongoing at this time. Use of this product may void a warranty.
I hope you understand.

Thanks

Glenn
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #1130
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Cost? Im pretty good at skimming over the details so sorry if you already covered that.

This thing is pretty friggen awesome! Ive been going back and forth on buying a nicer fuse block for my 9fitty as the one I have right now I got for $6. It works but it takes up a lot of space. Knowing the power consumption and being able to reset fuses while on the go is perfect! Im tired of carrying around a ton of spare fuses "just in case".
He hasn't settled just yet on a retail price. There's winds blowing about different configurations and different price points. Last pricing he gave us was a round number at 300.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #1131
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMoto View Post
We could test it. But, I believe it's not going to be straight forward on account of the way the CWL volume control is setup. Further if you have a BMW with an HID or LED headlight, that poses two additional challenges with the high beam and horn trigger using anything other than CWL's volume control or Can Opener in the case of the LED headlight.

I don't understand the issue with those triggers on a BMW. I have two bmws and no problems.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #1132
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
He hasn't settled just yet on a retail price. There's winds blowing about different configurations and different price points. Last pricing he gave us was a round number at 300.
Thanks Beechum. Yeah that's spendy but I've never seen anything like it before.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #1133
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I don't understand the issue with those triggers on a BMW. I have two bmws and no problems.

Agreed.

We trigger a relay to switch LED Glenda lights from low to high beam with a tap into the headlight wiring on both our BMW F650GS twins, no probs.

I have been mulling over the possibilites and I have some ideas, might need some help though. I'll put it down on paper and see if it makes sense before posting though.

Hopefully if we can sort out some application ideas with wiring suggestions it will help the inevitable questions of "how do I make the MB do .........."
Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #1134
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Ultimately, we'll need to create a forum just for those topics.

Quote:
Agreed.

We trigger a relay to switch LED Glenda lights from low to high beam with a tap into the headlight wiring on both our BMW F650GS twins, no probs.

I have been mulling over the possibilites and I have some ideas, might need some help though. I'll put it down on paper and see if it makes sense before posting though.

Hopefully if we can sort out some application ideas with wiring suggestions it will help the inevitable questions of "how do I make the MB do .........."
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #1135
ironklad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
The new BMW's with factory LED headlights don't have a 12v trigger wire that anyone has been able to identify as they apparently utilize the CANBus signal to trigger. I believe the factory fog light switch isn't even a 12v on/off switch but rather some sort of momentary switch or CANBus signal generator. I have the Clearwater CANOpener device that taps into the CANBus signal and listens for the same signals that the LED headlight listens for and then translates those CANBus signals into 12v trigger wires among their other advanced features. In addition the CANOpener has access to a trigger that only turns on the aux lights if the engine is running though i'm not sure if a direct 12v trigger is available for this.

Regarding the horn on a newer BMW I believe the horn is still a basic 12v horn that can be directly tapped into.
ironklad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #1136
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I'll have to take your word on it. It is hard to imagine a light with a switch that turns it on that I could fail to comprehend within a few moments. Perhaps they've done it.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #1137
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,268
Quote:
I'll have to take your word on it. It is hard to imagine a light with a switch that turns it on that I could fail to comprehend within a few moments. Perhaps they've done it.
Never underestimate a German engineer's ability to come up with a complex solution to a simple problem.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #1138
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
never underestimate a german engineer's ability to come up with a complex solution to a simple problem.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #1139
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

A pair of finished PCBs are coming from the factory tomorrow. If they are good then we will schedule the rest to be manufactured PDMFQ. I also have a new Motobrain coming out of the new mold tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #1140
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The factory just fessed up that they already built all the power PCBs when I asked them to send me an unassembled PCB. It looks like we are already 30% of the way there!