ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
chriselgui OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 146
Farkles

With so many cool things to add to my bike I don't know where to start. I'm thinking panniers....no a seat....wait, maybe a windscreen....or hand guards. See no idea!

So what was the first thing you got for your bike? Pictures and stories welcome. I don't know if this thread already exists, if so **sad face**
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 2,417
Well, I'm bored here since the driveway is getting paved and I can't leave yet..........

FIRST buy good riding gear. You can always get a new bike.

Then:

It's a chicken or egg thing. If you buy panniers then you'll be tempted to ride far, or at least until you're ass hurts too much. New seat then. If it's cold then you'll want handguards and a better windscreen. If you venture off road then you'll wince at every near fall and want crash protection. If it's dark, maybe more lights..... If your bike turns into a lemon like so many here would have you believe, then it's back to square one.

Where do you want to go today???

For me it was opportunity. Bought a beat up F8 so it was fixed first. Dealer gave me cost prices for the fix so I threw in hand guards, engine guards and a skidplate. Then it was cases. First long trip I was real sore. New Comfort seat. Then riding further, my back hurt so I found some bar risers. Then as my bike got older I installed a voltage monitor. Found a throttle lock used so now I have that. Found a headlight protector and Hyperpro springs. The bike is comfortable now for long distance so that fuel stops became a chore and not a welcome relief.....so I got a Camel Tank. Somewhere in all that I found a fantastic deal on an Akropovic exhaust and a TT tankbag.

I *believe* I'm done farkling but we'll see what comes my way. I'm a sucker for a good deal and have added Carbon Fibre parts to her bike just because. I was happy with the old colour till I found a used body set.......

It's like your house, it's never finished. I think it's the Chinese saying "When your house is done, you die."

Who's on first?
__________________
n00babies should be
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,012
To me it depends on how you are riding

Touring - panniers, seat, etc (comfort items)

Off-road - crashgaurds era (protection items)

If you're aggressive - suspension, suspension (biggest improvement I've made)

And you're still not into steering dampers etc
__________________
the best thing to buy for your bike is gas.....Neduro
Remote is not found on the coffee table
machinebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,413
The ONE good thing about winter here, it gives me a chance to plan my farkles. My 650 will come out in the spring with a set of Vario panniers, crash bars, hand guards, perhaps a windscreen.
Will not be buying a skid plate. She's a pavement hound, with the rare gravel road tossed in. Oil change now...20 minutes. With a bash plate...90 minutes.
Believe it or not, I like the stock seat. So far.
The crash bars? Sooner, or later, it'll take a nap in my driveway.
That's it. Plans are in the works. Nothing else I really need.

Almost time to get the skis waxed.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Capt CF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Northern Virginia
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
The ONE good thing about winter here, it gives me a chance to plan my farkles. My 650 will come out in the spring with a set of Vario panniers, crash bars, hand guards, perhaps a windscreen.
Will not be buying a skid plate. She's a pavement hound, with the rare gravel road tossed in. Oil change now...20 minutes. With a bash plate...90 minutes.
Believe it or not, I like the stock seat. So far.
The crash bars? Sooner, or later, it'll take a nap in my driveway.
That's it. Plans are in the works. Nothing else I really need.

Almost time to get the skis waxed.
Lyle
Not to derail a perfectly good farkle thread, but my 700 has the BDCW skid plate and I can drop it in about 3 minutes for oil changes (only two bolts and it slides off the mounts).
__________________
You can't teach pigs to sing - it only frustrates you and annoys the pig.
Capt CF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
chriselgui OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
To me it depends on how you are riding

Touring - panniers, seat, etc (comfort items)

Off-road - crashgaurds era (protection items)

If you're aggressive - suspension, suspension (biggest improvement I've made)

And you're still not into steering dampers etc
I would say I am going to be doing more touring than off-road but I do want to do the occasional fire road or camping trip. I'd say I'm probably 75/25 road.
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Will not be buying a skid plate. She's a pavement hound, with the rare gravel road tossed in. Lyle
What? How can you be a Poser without $2G in protection?

Well if the mice get to your wiring over the winter, I picked up a complete harness along with all the other last winter deals. Not sure what I'm going to do with it (or the rest of the extras!).
__________________
n00babies should be
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriselgui View Post
I would say I am going to be doing more touring than off-road but I do want to do the occasional fire road or camping trip. I'd say I'm probably 75/25 road.

Handguards keep the painfull rain and large bugs off your knuckles as well as protects your levers in a fall. OEM is great at that but I'd bet Barkbusters would be good too. OEM Vario bags are good if you already have the racks. I'd go with an Aluminum skidplate as the plastic just offers a false sense of security. Seat? Too personal a choice. I leant out my Comfort seat to a local inmate while my rad was being repaired. Try borrowing if you don't like stock. Speaking of rads, I only have the stock 800 plastic protector and took on a construction zone rock or two and developed a leak over 5000' altitudes. At least put an 800 guard on the 658's. A little modification required but easy, perhaps an aluminum would be better but I've seen them chafe through a rad it was supposed to protect. Personal call.

Vario cases are good most of the time.

Not this time.

Women riders.

__________________
n00babies should be
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
chriselgui OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Handguards keep the painfull rain and large bugs off your knuckles as well as protects your levers in a fall. OEM is great at that but I'd bet Barkbusters would be good too. OEM Vario bags are good if you already have the racks. I'd go with an Aluminum skidplate as the plastic just offers a false sense of security. Seat? Too personal a choice. I leant out my Comfort seat to a local inmate while my rad was being repaired. Try borrowing if you don't like stock. Speaking of rads, I only have the stock 800 plastic protector and took on a construction zone rock or two and developed a leak over 5000' altitudes. At least put an 800 guard on the 658's. A little modification required but easy, perhaps an aluminum would be better but I've seen them chafe through a rad it was supposed to protect. Personal call.

Vario cases are good most of the time.

Not this time.

Women riders.

I dont have any panniers or racks yet, i am thinking of getting the Wolfman Dry Bags, and the Moose Racing Rack system (I like how it has the rack on the tail)
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Shed :o)
Oddometer: 3,269
Farkling? More of an addiction then a must have .

I started like most of here by the seat and the panniers. Passed my driving licence on a 650GS twin so I knew what I was getting in to seatwise.

Then I added a bigger windscreen, handguards for protection. Done 650kms one way without, installed them after that and went back those 650kms, difference was really noticeable. Wasn't tired at all.
Then came the headlight guard since I didn't want to spend 400 for a new unit. and in the same spirit some crashbars. Then came the aluminium skidplate wasn't too thrilled having my oilfilter exposed.

Then came the suspension, after riding it offroad with all my protecting gear on the bike, which gave me more confidence, I established that I was tired of diving suspensions. First I did the fork with hyperpro spring, but I immediatly saw that the rear wouldn't do it for me either. Could corner now faster with the front but the rear felt vague and did some hippedy hop offroad. So came the TT rear suspension. What a difference, like a new bike.

Then came the lights. too many times car drivers just cut me of because not seeing me properly. It has improved that a maximum.

Then came some pratical stuff like a second powersocket, lower pegs and the camel tank (well that will come tomorrow after 1.5 month of waiting ). Other things on my list? Well of course as I said, it's an addiction. Next thing is a aluminium dipstick from touratech because I broke my pastic one from bmw. Then I'd like some folding shift and brake levers/pedals and that should be it :o).

Well some of woody wheels would be great but I just can't justify the price right now... Need to bend my rims first
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post


Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
chriselgui OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 146
Official first farkle....GPS mount and powerlet to cigarette outlet converter.
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriselgui View Post
Official first farkle....GPS mount and powerlet to cigarette outlet converter.
That's not a farkle! They're under fifty bucks!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Shed :o)
Oddometer: 3,269
yup that are accessories and not permanent/specific (for) on the bike :o)
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post


Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
chriselgui OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
That's not a farkle! They're under fifty bucks!
Lyle
I gotta start small, haha. Don't judge me!
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriselgui View Post
I gotta start small, haha. Don't judge me!
Consider yourself unjudged!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014