Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #31
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
I spent pretty much all summer in San Jose so I know that shop pretty well. Was trying to have them fix an oil leak under warranty on my 650 and a bunch of cop bikes came in so they put me way down on the list and I never had a chance to get it fixed. I was pretty disappointed.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #32
ilyaon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
I only went with the AltRider crash bars. I'm not a fan of any particular manufacturer unless that manufacturer has the best product, or at least best bang for the buck. I'll wait 6 months for a Shrockworks bumper for my 4Runner, and won't complain over $90 if it does a better job.

The Touratech crash bars look like they're hung by simple tabs compared to the AltRiders which actually insert into the frame and are mounted with the same screws. I also liked the design of the connector between the two halves (aluminum insert) of the AltRider versus exposed tabs of the Touratech. The AltRider protects the fairing in the advent of a lay down versus another $110 for the same protection from Touratech (extensions)
Thank for information. Do AltRider made the bars for 2013 model already? I've seen that only Touratech released ones.
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #33
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyaon View Post
Thank for information. Do AltRider made the bars for 2013 model already? I've seen that only Touratech released ones.
Well, they fit w/o much incident. She fell over once, scraped metal so used some spare black I had lying around to stop annoying me with the exposed shiny silver metal. Note how high they come up, how much of the fairing they do protect.

Untitled

Here's the side after getting "smooshed" by some baby-head creek rocks. Off center as measured by/in the middle separation by ~1".

Untitled

And here's the left side. Shifted a little, but still plenty of protection. Pivot pegz, 2 touratechs and a MOD skid plate.

Untitled

Again, solid piece of work that covers high up enough and protects not only the engine, but the fairing. And when you do drop it and it shifts... good luck. Those things are solid and won't accordion, but shift right-left (or vice versa)
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #34
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,460
Just notice the centrestand looks like a different design to the old one? Is that aftermarket or new BMW OE? Looks like it would have better ground clearance to prevent decking on spirited road-rides.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Just notice the centrestand looks like a different design to the old one? Is that aftermarket or new BMW OE? Looks like it would have better ground clearance to prevent decking on spirited road-rides.
Stock OEM. Solid straight legged design so you have one less wear point too.

Untitled
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #36
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselandon View Post
What about exhaust? I really like the Remus Hexacore and obvoiusly the Akrapovic is popular. And as far as tuning goes... Are the 800s able to compensate for aftermarket exhaust without any modifications? Seems like they run a little bit rich (mine does anyway) so if the exhaust leaned it out a bit it should be ok.
I have the Remus Hexacore with the larger diameter headers. A aftermarket skid plate will not fit over these headers without modifications. I used The BDCW Skid plate. I had to remove with a 45 degree angle grinder, material off the skid plate to accommodate the Spring on the Connector of the lower header pipe, grind off a portion of the plate to accommodate the spring travel on my center stand, and grind out an area to keep the upper header pipe from vibrating on the side of the plate. I also lined the plate with heat resistant rubber tiles, to muffle the echo from the engine - the plate is so inclined to produce. I also bought a Scotts Stabilizer because my TKC80s were giving high speed wobbles on the freeway, and I just slapped Heidenau tires on, and I like them better. Because the front forks are non adjustable, I bottom out easily, so I do not ride crazy in the dirt to warrant the TKC80s. I got 6000 miles out of mine, and I will not be buying them again. I bought aftermarket lighting. Clearwater Glendas and Kristas. That I would recommend to anyone, if they can swing the price. I put brighter bulbs in my regular headlights as they made it seem dangerous to drive at night. Rock chip guard for the headlight, a larger kickstand foot was a necessity for off road parking, and I bought a brake pedal enlarger and BDCW Footpegs. Those are great! Anyway. Thats my take.
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #37
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Hey another Spokanite! I got an '10 f800gs 30th anniversary month ago and I'm loving it. We'll have to hook up and do some riding.

I went with the Adventure Spec crash bars ($337 shipped from UK in 2 days) because they come way up on the plastic (2nd choice was Alt riders), also got a Wunderlich rear brake lever extender and kickstand plate. I would recomend all three of them.
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #38
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Stock OEM. Solid straight legged design so you have one less wear point too.
Personally I like my Ram Horns, They have a fairly large surface area, and still work well on softer surfaces. But they are kinda ugly on the bike, and apparently they break, but mine is still good.

Ryan
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
Hey another Spokanite! I got an '10 f800gs 30th anniversary month ago and I'm loving it. We'll have to hook up and do some riding.
Definitely! I am always looking for people to ride with around here. What area of Spokane are you in?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #40
Herr Bae M. Vae
Insurgent Squirrel

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
I also bought a Scotts Stabilizer because my TKC80s were giving high speed wobbles on the freeway
I had been keeping my old Scotts damper that I'd kept when I sold my KTM but I ended up selling it. I just bought an 800GS a week ago and was considering picking-up another damper. Where did you source yours? Don't know whether I want rebound damping. Did you go for their street or dirt version? I was also considering replacing the stock bars when swapping mounts but haven't yet determined if Renthal or anyone makes a set that will work on this bike.
Herr Bae M. Vae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #41
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Interesting tidbit, looks like the beak is permanent party on this model. It was what I looked at first as I am currently changing mine.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #42
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the fun didn't last very long. Just a few weeks ago I was on my way back from my parents' house in Tonasket, WA (about 150 miles from where I live) and I was about a mile from my house at midnight when I hit a deer doing ~60 miles an hour. Due to the fact that I was wearing all of my BMW riding gear, and also pure luck, I walked away unharmed. The bike is a different story. I was actually able to ride it the rest of the way home. The damage isn't really that bad considering how far the bike (and I) slid on the pavement. So far the insurance company is determined to fix it but BMW hasn't even released part numbers for the '13s yet. Anyways just thought I would share how tough this bike really is with only cosmetic damage, and also to remind everyone to always wear proper gear. I used to ride without gloves when it was hot out, but looking at how well my BMW Rallye 3 gloves saved my hands I will never ride without gloves again. If I had been wearing jeans I would have probably lost my knee cap, broken my hip, and at the very least scraped up my entire right leg. The BMW Boulder 2 Neon jacket protected my right elbow and arm, as well as my belly and my back. Not saying everyone should go out and buy BMW gear, but at the very least wear something that is abrasion resistant.

Here is a pic of the damaged side of my F800... Oh yeah, the deer did not survive.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #43
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,646
Glad you're ok. Bikes are replaceable.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #44
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
Glad you're ok. Bikes are replaceable.

Very true...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #45
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
I have the Remus Hexacore with the larger diameter headers. A aftermarket skid plate will not fit over these headers without modifications. I used The BDCW Skid plate. I had to remove with a 45 degree angle grinder, material off the skid plate to accommodate the Spring on the Connector of the lower header pipe, grind off a portion of the plate to accommodate the spring travel on my center stand, and grind out an area to keep the upper header pipe from vibrating on the side of the plate. I also lined the plate with heat resistant rubber tiles, to muffle the echo from the engine - the plate is so inclined to produce. I also bought a Scotts Stabilizer because my TKC80s were giving high speed wobbles on the freeway, and I just slapped Heidenau tires on, and I like them better. Because the front forks are non adjustable, I bottom out easily, so I do not ride crazy in the dirt to warrant the TKC80s. I got 6000 miles out of mine, and I will not be buying them again. I bought aftermarket lighting. Clearwater Glendas and Kristas. That I would recommend to anyone, if they can swing the price. I put brighter bulbs in my regular headlights as they made it seem dangerous to drive at night. Rock chip guard for the headlight, a larger kickstand foot was a necessity for off road parking, and I bought a brake pedal enlarger and BDCW Footpegs. Those are great! Anyway. Thats my take.
I got a chance to really look close at an F800 that was farkled with BDCW products. Looks like their skid plate covers a lot more of the engine and even protects the headers. Where did you get the heat resistant rubber? I really like the BDCW products and I think I will use their skid plate. My question is, it looks like it covers quite a bit of the bottom of the engine so is there any need to get the Touratech engine guard extension that bolts to the center stand? I would go with TT for the skid plate but it doesn't cover very much and in the pictures I see it leaves the headers completely exposed! Also, I do plan on eventually going with the full Remus system. Can you provide more details on what material you had to remove to make the BDCW plate fit?