Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #16
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
I just was at an event where the Woodys people had a booth. I looked over their stuff closely. 1) I was impressed with the excels. They looked more than twice as thick as the stock rims. 2) The tubeless conversion looked a lot more robust than you might think. 3) Personally I am happy with the 21 inch 17 inch wheels so I would not consider changing them. I just wanted to post that the Woodys stuff did look good. Dave
I had them build me a set for my F650GS Twin and has the tubeless set up. It was temperamental and leaked, especially in colder temps so I finally just used tubes. I had them build up a set for my F800GS with the Rad hubs and KTM sprocket with narrower then stock rims but stock 17"& 21" diameter and they are a huge improvement over stock and definitely one less thing to worry about. At the time they gave me a decent trade for my stock wheels with carrier and sprocket but they only had 1000 miles on them and were in as new condition.

Angryrican screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 04:53 PM Reason: I can't spell
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,457
Out of interest, does anyone with two sets of wheels have both an 18" (presumably Excel/Woodys) and a 17" rear that they switch out based on whether in the dirt or road. If so, sidestand issue aside, how do you find the gearing? I'd be interested to know how many teeth you run on your back sprocket(s) so that the bike pulls okay irrespective of which wheel is in?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Out of interest, does anyone with two sets of wheels have both an 18" (presumably Excel/Woodys) and a 17" rear that they switch out based on whether in the dirt or road. If so, sidestand issue aside, how do you find the gearing? I'd be interested to know how many teeth you run on your back sprocket(s) so that the bike pulls okay irrespective of which wheel is in?
If my math is correct, a 140/80/18 has a 6% larger circumference than a 150/70/17 tire. Going down 1 tooth on the primary sprocket is about the same. To find rear tooth count add 6% to the number of teeth on the stock sprocket. You need a 44.52 tooth sprocket.

It is also going to raise the rear of the bike 19.5 mm. I hope the loss of trail does not resulted in any terrible crashes. Sorry just a bit of sarcasm. It is something I have recommended for years with little success.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 04:32 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,188
Excel 21"x1.85" front and a 17"x3.5" rear on my bike. They have been awesome and have taken a ton of abuse and remain straight and true. One of the best upgrades I've made to the bike for sure.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PA-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
iJabberwocky OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147

Thanks for the input.
iJabberwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #21
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
Excel 21"x1.85" front and a 17"x3.5" rear on my bike. They have been awesome and have taken a ton of abuse and remain straight and true. One of the best upgrades I've made to the bike for sure.
Other than increased reliability/toughness, have you noticed any other benefits (eg, are they perceptibly lighter/does it alter the handling noticeably)?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Other than increased reliability/toughness, have you noticed any other benefits (eg, are they perceptibly lighter/does it alter the handling noticeably)?
I went with the same sizes and I just notice I ride faster and don't worry about a ding or bent rim
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Despite being narrower, the new rims are heavier. I can't say I've noticed a difference in handling. Do to the narrower rear my tire options have really increased as I have no concerns using a 130.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PA-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #24
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Quote:
Despite being narrower, the new rims are heavier. I can't say I've noticed a difference in handling. Do to the narrower rear my tire options have really increased as I have no concerns using a 130.
As much as more aggressive (more knobbly) tyre options an 18" rear open up appeal to me, I must admit I'd be concerned about the tyre life. Any details on the specific tyres you've used and how they performed and how long they lasted?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #25
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
As much as more aggressive (more knobbly) tyre options an 18" rear open up appeal to me, I must admit I'd be concerned about the tyre life. Any details on the specific tyres you've used and how they performed and how long they lasted?
I have been running a 130/90-17 D606 for my local off road excursions. They grip well but don't last (3000km). They are cheap though and I don't mind burning up a couple a season if need be.

I really considered an 18" rear because the Michelin Desert is discontinued in the 17". It's such a durable, great wearing knobby (7000km out of the last one) that it works well on extended trips.

I decided to stick with a 17" because in my experience, bike shops in far away places have more options for DOT 17's than 18's. There aren't many choices for good road/DS rubber in 18 (no Anakee, no Tourance etc) which is a consideration if you do long multi month rides. I've had good luck with the 140/80-17 K60 for 75/25 use.

IMHO, the 17 is better choice for a multi use bike. I've got a 570 for the nasty stuff.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #26
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Quote:
I have been running a 130/90-17 D606 for my local off road excursions. They grip well but don't last (3000km). They are cheap though and I don't mind burning up a couple a season if need be.

I really considered an 18" rear because the Michelin Desert is discontinued in the 17". It's such a durable, great wearing knobby (7000km out of the last one) that it works well on extended trips.

I decided to stick with a 17" because in my experience, bike shops in far away places have more options for DOT 17's than 18's. There aren't many choices for good road/DS rubber in 18 (no Anakee, no Tourance etc) which is a consideration if you do long multi month rides. I've had good luck with the 140/80-17 K60 for 75/25 use.

IMHO, the 17 is better choice for a multi use bike. I've got a 570 for the nasty stuff.
In 18 size you can find the best d/s tyre known to mankind, the metzeler sahara in 140/80-18 dimension.
I have it on my 950SE (18-2.5 rim), will last easily for 5-6k miles of KTM asphalt abuse, has extremely good street manners and is fantastic off-road for a non knobbie tyre. For general d/s sporting, I complement it with an anakee2 front in 21 which is quite a bit better than its rear counterpart (never liked too much rear anakee's on the loose stuff).
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #27
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
In 18 size you can find the best d/s tyre known to mankind, the metzeler sahara in 140/80-18 dimension.
I have it on my 950SE (18-2.5 rim), will last easily for 5-6k miles of KTM asphalt abuse, has extremely good street manners and is fantastic off-road for a non knobbie tyre. For general d/s sporting, I complement it with an anakee2 front in 21 which is quite a bit better than its rear counterpart (never liked too much rear anakee's on the loose stuff).
Thanks for the heads up on the Sahara. I may try it (in a 17 of course). I wasn't suggesting there weren't any good DS choices in 18, just fewer. I sat on the fence for a long time before deciding to stick with the 17.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #28
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
I went with a 1.85x21 front and 2.5x18 rear.
On a recent dirt road trip across Oz we ended up in Mt Isa (outback Queensland), needing rear tyres.
I had a choice of about 6 rear tires (Heidenau, Mitas, 606, Mitchy Desert etc.)
My mate, on a Tiger 800 with 17" rear had to go to another shop who gouged him over $300 for a TKC, the only tyre in town to fit his bike.
The defence rests.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #29
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
I went with a 1.85x21 front and 2.5x18 rear.
On a recent dirt road trip across Oz we ended up in Mt Isa (outback Queensland), needing rear tyres.
I had a choice of about 6 rear tires (Heidenau, Mitas, 606, Mitchy Desert etc.)
My mate, on a Tiger 800 with 17" rear had to go to another shop who gouged him over $300 for a TKC, the only tyre in town to fit his bike.
The defence rests.
I didn't claim it was fact, I said in my experience! Experiences vary from person to person, location to location

Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #30
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Yep, and I was just relating my experience.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote