Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #136
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
well done boys.. sure miss riding with you guys.. maybe next summer
I have to extend a special thanks to Robdogg.

Originally, he was planning to come along on the ride but that did not work out.

But he was another member of our group for this trip. Probably the most important. He was our Single Point of Contact.

We decided to just have one person who any of us would call if things went wrong. That person had a list which included all of our contact info, the contact info for our wives or other emergency contact, all of our routes, and the SPOT link for the 3 SPOT units we had on the trip. He was also set up to be the SPOT emergency contact for the SPOT units we had. If anything went wrong, we would call this person and let him know so if and when the other people in the group called him, he would have the info. He was to act kind of like a dispatcher. It was up to him to call our emergency contact if he felt it was needed.

Luckily, robdogg had a pretty easy job. We did not have any major emergencies. I did call him up when our group was separated to let him know why we were making multiple SPOT tracks. I also called him up when we were back together.

I think the single point of contact worked great. I am planning to use this system again in the future.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #137
oregonlmd
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Prior to our trip to this area in 2011, we were discussing a trip to Baja. I had been reading ride reports for this area and thought with the language barrier and security issues of Baja, perhaps we should go here instead. Plus it is not quite such a drive to get down to Denio Junction as it is to get to Mexico.

And so we did. There is still so much to see down there! I sure would like to go to other countries someday but I am going to concentrate on this area before it gets closed off.
I fully concur. I've been to Baja twice, and found the riding no better there than anywhere else in the Great Basin. The other-culture experience is all Baja has going for it in my opinion. Been there, done that, don't recommend it based JUST on that alone.

The Great Basin has more great exploration and adventure opportunities that most people will be able to exploit in their lifetimes. I suppose if Baja was as close for someone as the Great Basin is for me it'd be the place to go, though. Riding and exploring and having an adventure is what its all about, right?
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #138
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Excellent RR! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! I love Northern Nevada.
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #139
bbenn75820
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Fantastic report, thank you. I printed your maps and now I am making plans to do a very similar trip next spring. You made this very doable. Thanks!

Bob
bbenn75820 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #140
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 141
OK, here are my Day 5 pictures. My post is delayed due to a multi-day recess to go ride down in the Medford/Applegate area of Oregon for a few days!

As was said above, we slept in and did some bike maintenance before going out for a short loop to the plane wreckage. For my 610, the maintenance included a new air cleaner and chain lube. And a healthy cannibalization of my backup TE310 -- its sprocket bolts and kickstand!

Then we needed to get gas before we left...but had to wait behind this guy. Nevada is a little remote:

Then it was on up into the mountains behind Denio Junction. Dr. Dan:

Bus/747 Driver Scott:

Duckspanker Chuck:

Wild Bill on the KLR:

The final climb up to the crash site was a little steep:

Dan on the final climb:

Then it was up over the saddle to the site:

A close up of the beautiful new plaque:

Mike writing a note in the log:

Some pictures of us looking around the crash site:

A few art shots:

A group shot of all of us:

From the crash site, we dropped down a different way and went to Bog Too Hot. Along the way we passed back from Oregon into Nevada. See the stylish marker there in the bushes?

Mike opens a milestone gate: Number 1,000,000. He did not get a prize.

Little known fact. Mike's camera...

Doesn't work. He thinks the unicorn thing just makes him look cool. What do you think?

The burro is staring at Mike's goofy camera mount, not me:

Miles and miles of miles and miles:

The too hot springs:

After our attempted soak in the hot springs, we split up, with a couple of us riding north and then cutting over the mountains to Fields for a milkshake. Once into the Sheldon Reserve, we came across these guys. And unlike the horses, the burrows just stand and stare. Burros just don't care.

Then around the next corner was a bunch of Antelope. Standing still! Antelope are normally running at full speed in an attempt to get ahead of you and then run into your path.

Up and over the ridge into Fields:

We got to Fields too late. They had just cleaned the shake machine. :( We settled for an Ice Cream sandwich and rode the pavement back to Denio Junction. A great rewind day. Next up the Black Rock loop!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #141
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSdriver View Post

Mark... I couldn't agree with you more. As much as I struggled with the weight that I carried on my WR... Bill quietly rode through all the crap that we all did on a machine that weighed significantly more... and he made it look easy (it wasn't).
You guys should have seen the crazy rocky stuff he rode thru on the last day. It was definitely some of the nastiest rockiest goes-on-forever stuff I have ever ridden thru.

Stay tuned for that on our last day!

Damn, it makes me sore just remembering it!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #142
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramsetac View Post
The final climb up to the crash site was a little steep:
I like this shot Mark.

You can almost get an idea of how steep that last grade really is. Up toward the top of the pic, it looks like I am either falling down or picking my bike up.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #143
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

June 21, 2012

Day 6

134 miles

Minimum Elevation - 4219 ft
Maximum Elevation - 7412 ft

Today’s route

This was to be the first day of a two day loop from DJ to Gerlach and back. During our ride in 2011, our Gerlach loop had been a very long day (307 miles). I decided to make it a bit longer and split it up to two days.

During the winter, I had tried to come up with a more interesting route from DJ to Soldier Meadows Ranch than the dirt roads I had done before. In the discussions with locals, we called it the Blue Line. One of the riders, oregonlmd, who I had been discussing it with told me he would give it a try just a few days before we would. He would give me a call and leave me a message about it once he had gone thru. When we returned from our first 4 day loop, I had a message saying “it was passable but time consuming”. I was pumped!

My ankle was feeling better after the lazy day we had the day before. It was time to get going again!

We are on our way!

I wondered where everyone was and decided to stop.

Great riding this morning!

We started out by riding past Onion Valley Reservoir and Knott Creek Reservoir. This is some beautiful country!

Chuck at the intersection near Onion Valley Reservoir.

The view

Where are we??

I hope this goes thru!

This guy pulled out and parked in the road right in front of me. Turned out he did not expect someone to come up the road behind him and had not seen me. He was from WA and was getting packed up to go back home.

I can’t remember his name but he was a nice guy.

Back under way again.

Another regrouping. There were some intersections and I did not want to lose anyone. Wow! Check out those clouds!

Mark is headed over to take some pics of an abandoned cabin and windmill.

Loving my bike!

A pipeline.

Arriving at Pearl Cabin

There it is!

The route became rougher after Pearl Cabin.

Duckspanker

Dr. Dan and Busdriver

Wrong way!

It was starting to warm up. I kind of got lost in here and fell over in a hole somewhere.

Busdriver cooling off.

There is a family of antelope running across this picture. It is very hard to see them. Some of them were even small baby ones.

If you look very carefully at this picture, you can see the long straight up hill climb we will be headed up soon going up almost directly above the road toward the notch.

I jammed my wrists while crossing this tiny little creek (this is looking back at it after I had hurt myself and it probably was taken when I was wandering around in pain by my GoPro). I made the mistake of riding in someone else’s rut which turned out to be quite a big hole.

Then we came to a long uphill.

Finally we were up on top of the plateau. At least for a moment. We took a break and let the breeze cool us down.

Check out my bike! I must have been waiting for everyone else to catch up for a while. This is kind of a 360 degree panoramic view.

There must be something over there that I thought Kramsetac should take a picture of.

Ooops! Helmet blew off bike.

Headed back down!

It started to get really hot after Paiute Windmill.

Dr. Dan and I had a good time zipping thru this part!

We were done with the Blue Line! Hooray!!! No locked gates. It was very beautiful and great terrain.

I was really happy to get to Soldier Meadows Ranch where I would finally meet Kathy.

Ahhh!!! Shade!!!!

Dr. Dan asked Kathy if they had any food available and she set us up with a fantastic lunch. We arrived there at about 2:30 so we were outside of lunch time but she took great care of us anyway. She is a great host. Unfortunately, her husband, Jim, had recently passed away and she was selling the ranch. I hope she is doing well now. (Since this ride happened, Kathy did sell the ranch. From what I have heard, the new owners are still operating it in much the same fashion as Kathy and Jim did. http://www.soldiermeadows.com/index.html )

I had sent Kathy an email before we left DJ to let her know we were coming. Unfortunately, I did not get her reply before we headed out.

We had 2 bikes that needed gas so they filled up.

We all filled up our CamelBaks and I soaked my head, helmet, and jersey in the sprinkler. It felt so good.

After leaving Soldier Meadows, we rode over some rough and rocky stuff. It was hot and very grueling.

The first part was not too bad. Luckily these folks held the gate open for us.

Somebody is coming.

We stopped at a beat down cabin for a rest. I think it is at Denio Camp Springs.

Hot and dusty!

We crossed 34 and headed out on a nice wide smooth gravel road. It was a nice change from the rocky stuff we had been banging around on for the last couple hours.

I was cruising along on a nice flat straight section when suddenly my rear wheel locked up. My first thought was that my engine had just locked up. Oh no!! Then it was free.

I coasted to the side of the road in disgust.

I knew we were very far away from DJ. And we were even further away from DJ by paved or gravel roads that my Eurovan could bring my motorcycle trailer over. I was pretty unhappy.

Dr. Dan knew something was wrong since he had seen me throw my gloves at my bike as he was pulling up.

Once I stopped and took a look, I found my chain was in a ball wrapped around and behind my swingarm and sprocket.

We all gathered together and scrounged thru our tools and parts. We were able to use a combination of the old chain, 3 master links, and some old sections of chain to make the chain solid again. Because I had tweaked my wrists earlier in the day, I was not really too helpful in the repair. Thank you to Ugo1st for getting me back under way. We had to straighten out part of the old chain that was twisted. The rear sprocket was totally messed up too. Some of the teeth were wrapped and bent in ways that are hard to imagine being possible. I think the chain ended up having at least 3 master links in it and several spare pieces of chain along with most of the original in one piece and another piece of the original that had been really tweaked and that we had sort of straightened out. Once we had the chain together, we tightened it up and then pushed the bike to see if it would stay on. It did so then I rode it a few feet under power and it stayed on. We decided to turn around and start heading back toward 34 and DJ. Kramsetac and Busdriver went ahead and looked for a camping spot.

I rode very slowly in 2nd gear until I got to the spot they had chosen.

The chain made some funky noises and was really moving around when I looked down at it. Hopefully it would make it back to DJ.

The spot they found was nice and grassy and pretty well protected. We all got to work getting our gear setup for the night. Dr. Dan cranked up his Jet boil and we cooked up some freeze dried meals. Duckspanker had some sort of freeze dried desert that was pretty tasty too.

Once it got dark, a pickup arrived at the site next to us. Pretty soon after, a guy came over to see what we were doing. His name was Troy. He and his brother ended up hanging out for a while. They even brought some beers over so some of the guys had an ice cold beer. Troy offered to help us out in any way he could. The really cool thing was that he meant it.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #144
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
day 6 low rez

found this ring and pinion set in concrete?

this place was amazing could have spent a day here ez

Kathy and one of the ranch hands who was walking a colt

the fuel station. they usually don't sell gas unless it's an emergency. don't plan for gas here.

this road split off 3 ways same direction. take the center one...........he he

chain fail, piece of tough sage branch was strong enough for a prop to pull the wheel, Mark had a chain breaker and we all pitched in our spare links and sections We still came up short and have to leave a lot of the chain twisted, and had to file the sprocket teeth. Much of the difficulty was from different manufactures chain and m link having differing pin diameters and width's. Something to watch out for,

while limping the chain scouts forged ahead (more like had fun ripping up the desert) and found a good camp spot

which happened to be the campers over the hill from us shooting range

the neighbor over the hill happened to be a good stroke of luck as he gave a few of us a little fuel, cold beers and some chain lube for the twisted chain. He camps there several weeks at a time and rides dirt bike, rock climbs, shoots and rockhounds. Great guy! Troy a LEO out of northern Cal,

ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #145
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 141
OK. Day 6. I'll leave the navigational details to Mike. I just document. Real Pictures, Real Camera. Each day had sections of spectacular scenery, but Day 6 probably had the most in total.

Another crappy day in beautiful downtown Denio Junction:

The gang confers about the upcoming route:

After a few miles of pavement, we turned off and climbed up this narrow canyon:

And continued going up:

The we followed a spectacular ridge line for miles:

Our route as seen through a 300mm lens:

One of my favorite shots of the day. What an awesome picnic table location:

The valley below:

The ridgeline:

Sorry...more pictures of this area. Breathtaking to ride through:

A dry lake thousands of feet below:

Scott motors by. Wait...what happened to all his stuff? He parred WAY down after the first loop -- only the basics for the second camping loop!

Vultures circle waiting for our demise. They were disappointed.

And then it was down slightly into an amazing green valley rimmed with huge rock formations:

And down to the lake (cant remember the name -- refer back to Mastermarine's post for Day 6):

I am going to break Day 6 up into several posts. There is just too many amazing views and events to pack into just one!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #146
oregonlmd
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 152
That blueline route was really a kick in the pants. I enjoyed it immensely. I'd been eyeballing pretty much the same route for my group's adventure through there, and MasterMarine's GPS track really helped me navigate it, especially after Pearl Cabin.

I didn't want to do the miles of pavement from DJ to Alta Canyon (Rd 2014), so I came up with a different route to the west that, ah, didn't work out. For a number of reasons. My plan to cross-country between two very close roads near Fisher Peak ended up in this

My alternate plan (I usually have one of those in my back pocket) resulted in a closed gate on a county road at Alder Creek ranch, resulting in a huge go-around even farther to the west. We finally got onto the "Blue Line" route just west of Onion Valley Reservoir.
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #147
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Excellent!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #148
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonlmd View Post
That blueline route was really a kick in the pants. I enjoyed it immensely. I'd been eyeballing pretty much the same route for my group's adventure through there, and MasterMarine's GPS track really helped me navigate it, especially after Pearl Cabin.

I didn't want to do the miles of pavement from DJ to Alta Canyon (Rd 2014), so I came up with a different route to the west that, ah, didn't work out. For a number of reasons. My plan to cross-country between two very close roads near Fisher Peak ended up in this

My alternate plan (I usually have one of those in my back pocket) resulted in a closed gate on a county road at Alder Creek ranch, resulting in a huge go-around even farther to the west. We finally got onto the "Blue Line" route just west of Onion Valley Reservoir.
Damn Gates!!!

Nice attempt to avoid the pavement tho.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #149
LavaBull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Gents, cheers to a most excellent & splendid adventure ...

Thanks for sharing! Btw, there's a hint of a UFO in one of your awesome pics ...

2006 KTM 250 XC- Da Farter
LavaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #150
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is another comparison between 2011 and 2012.

This water crossing was on Day 4 and is just east of Chimney Dam Reservoir.

Here is 2011. It was well over the tires at the deepest point. We did not want any trouble so all 3 of us pushed each bike across to make sure it did not get washed away.

And 2012. What water crossing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramsetac View Post
This is another water crossing that apparently was much deeper last year. This year it was just good for a little splash:
Dr Dan: