Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #106
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVENTURE FINDER View Post
Just wondering what GPS unit u are using?by the way i love it that the KLR hung in there.keep up the good work.Sometimes we have to live our adventures thru others.

I was using the Garmin 530HCx Rino. The 2-way radios came in handy on many occasions.

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by noon I'm only half done.

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/

BUSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #107
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSdriver View Post
I was using the Garmin 530HCx Rino. The 2-way radios came in handy on many occasions.
I was also using the same Garmin 530HCx Rino with 2-way radio, I recommend always using 2-way radios on trips like that just make sure to leave them on you can get out of range quick when you really need to get hold of someone on the spot.
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #108
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Strange request Guys.
Did you fellows take any pictures of the big poop piles?
We saw some out in the Big Empty. We were on a mission and did not stop to investigate or take pictures. The piles we saw were probably 3' high and maybe 4' across. It looked more like Bovine Crap to me from a distance. The huge piles of crap have been haunting me ever since we got back.

Byways told me they were probably from Wild Horses but what he described did not sound like what we saw.

It's amazing the kind of things that interest me!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #109
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Strange request Guys.
Did you fellows take any pictures of the big poop piles?
We saw some out in the Big Empty. We were on a mission and did not stop to investigate or take pictures. The piles we saw were probably 3' high and maybe 4' across. It looked more like Bovine Crap to me from a distance. The huge piles of crap have been haunting me ever since we got back.

Byways told me they were probably from Wild Horses but what he described did not sound like what we saw.

It's amazing the kind of things that interest me!
I thought about taking pictures of the piles many times, but never actually stopped. I heard somewhere -- could be fact or could be speculation -- that the horses poop in big piles like that to mark their territory. Clearly the piles are generated by more than one horse, or at least one horse in more than one pooping!

In my never ending quest to get pictures of them, if I saw a fresh pile, I would slow and scan the horizon from side to side for the next several miles. Sure enough, you would often see small bands, but usually far off in the distance. The open desert chase we described above was an anomaly. Usually, if you got close it was because they a) you surprised them by cresting a ridge, or b) they were in a sanctuary -- we found the horse on the Sheldon and Hart Mountain Reserves to be much less intimidated.

By the way, as you will see later, while horses run, burros don't. They just stand there and stare at ya!

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #110
DRDANTDC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Duckspanker thought it would be better if we had a similar schedule to our 2011 trip. In 2011, we left Denio Junction and did a 4 day loop camping off of our bikes to the east. Then we spent the remaining 4 days doing day loop rides from Denio Junction to various destinations. This allowed us to go long on our big camping loop if necessary without having to rush back to get home. It also would give us some time to fix anything we may have broken on the big loop and still get out for some riding afterwards. It was kind of like having a half time in the middle of our ride.

With this in mind, I went back to the maps. I came up with a 4 day route over to Jarbidge and then back that would use some of the routes we had used before and some fresh territory as well. The big problem I had was 2 water crossings way out in the middle of the desert between McDermitt and Owyhee. There was no real way to know how deep they would be flowing until we were standing on their banks. I asked for info from everyone I talked to, the BLM, local ranchers, local riders and attendants at the gas stations I contacted to find out if they had fuel. I also came up with some other new day loops and decided to extend the Gerlach loop to be an overnighter since it had been a very long day in 2011 with the mileage nearing 300 miles.

After returning home from our ride in 2011 and sharing our stories with all of our riding buddies, we had several people who were interested in making the trip in 2012.

Eventually, the riders ended up being:

ugo1st (aka WildBill and/or Highmarker)

On his Kawasaki KLR650

Kramsetac

On his Husqvarna 610 (with backup Husqvarna 310)

Busdriver

On his Yamaha WR250R which he likes to call “The Bruise”

Duckspanker

On his Suzuki DRZ400

Dr. Dan

On his Suzuki DRZ 400

And me (MasterMarine).

On my 1995 Kawasaki KLX650C

We settled on a date and began the preparations to our bikes, camping gear and ourselves. I set into finalizing our routes and getting them into a format to put into our GPS units. Everyone had a Garmin unit so that made it a little bit easier. I wanted to get everyone the info before we left so any issues with the files could be sorted out.
Thanks Mike, I think that photo shows a definite likeness!!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #111
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramsetac View Post
In my never ending quest to get pictures of them, if I saw a fresh pile,
This came up in another ride report, and with pictures of the piles

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=29

oldtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #112
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
This came up in another ride report, and with pictures of the piles
Ew! Pictures of poo! Yah, that is exactly what they look like, though some are much bigger than that!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 10-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #113
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Mark,
For fuel use: How many miles per day did you ride?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #114
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Mark,
For fuel use: How many miles per day did you ride?
Mastermarine could probably tell us exactly day by day. I do know that we logged almost exactly 1200 miles over eight days, with one day being a "down day" with only about 30 miles of riding. So..on average we are going about 170 miles a day.

We were able to time gas pretty well, except on our jaunt down into the Black Rock area, where I limped into Gerlach at about 215 miles -- not all in one day, but on one tank of gas. My TE610 tank is only 5 gallons and my mileage was poor, so I had already dumped two quart bottles into the tank. Duckspanker actually ran out on the pavement coming into town and had to do the tip over routine to slosh enough gas over onto the petcock side of the tank.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #115
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

I met you riding with Tahuya riders a couple times. Went with Tom S. this year as well, still in a 'boot' for broken foot bone on Day 1. Not as bad as Chuck's injury though.
It looks like 5 gallons might be minimum to be safe and share fuel if necessary.

Great write and good information by Mike and contributing members.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #116
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
another poop pic,,, this is either horse or this klr friendly bunny ate at the Say When cafe....

just kidding about the say when, good food and a pint of bumpsmootherouter for 4 bucks

ugo1st screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 09:20 PM
ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #117
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

After 3 days being on the bike, you won't smell the mule pile.

Yep, axe on the side

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 04:26 PM
tundradirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #118
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
After 3 days being on the bike, you won't smell the mule pile.
OMG is that true. It was four days total for that first loop, riding 12+ hours every day. A shower never felt so good. But the real problem was lack of laundry facilities in Denio Junction. So, our next four days of riding was with the same filthy, smelly gear!

I remember you from the Tahuya GPNF camp out last, year, Tundradirtbiker. IIRC, you are the only person I have ever met with a full size axe hard mounted to your trail bike!

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #119
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

OK, on with my Day 4 pics. From Paradise Valley we went up and over Hinkey Pass, another amazingly scenic part of Nevada.

Beautiful fields of flowers as we neared the top:

The road looking back:

Scott and Bill stop to take in the sights:

Closer to the top:

At the top of the pass, there were roads taking off to either side, climbing the ridgelines. I climbed one and shot this picture back the other direction. The rest of the crew are at the bottom right, and Mike is up the road in the far distance taking to the guy about the who wander off and disappeared (earlier reference in this post -- sorry, cant remember the name). During the climb, I starting hearing an odd sound coming from my drive train...

One more picture from the very top:

As we started to descend the other side of the pass, the noise came back with vengeance, so we stopped to diagnose:

Nope, nothing wrong there. I always ride with just one sprocket bolt! How these things backed out is a mystery. Just before the trip, I replaced the sprocket and torqued all of the bolts to spec with loctite. Perhaps the chain was too tight? Anyway, with a little creativity, we were able to parlay enough bolts to re-secure the sprocket. Disaster narrowly avoided! Bolts being installed with blue loctite again...to be replaced with red and retorqued back in Denio the next day:

Crummy scenery:

And we were off again. BTW, one of the sprocket replacement bolts was the pivot bolt for my broken kickstand:

Going down:

Nice B&W art shot along the way:

Ah, yes. Back to beautiful downtown McDermitt for food and gas.

And then it was out into the desert for the last section before returning to Denio Junction. We had some difficulties with really expensive metal fences (Mike referenced above) welded right across our route, but we eventually connected up with our original route out of Denio three days before:

The shadows started getting long and we realized the some of the landmarks we passed on day 1 were a LONG way from Denio.

Duckspanker motors by as we ran for home:

By about 7pm, we realized we needed to seriously gas it if we were to get back to Denio Junction before it was completely dark. That led to about a 30 mile run up and over a pass looking straight into the sun, trying to dodge the damn cattle who suddenly decided it was fun to camp out in the middle of the canyon trail. No pictures during this section as we were all trying to make time and not crash!

That said, I just missed getting a pic of Mike's endo in this small stream crossing. I think he rolled down the bank and his tire got stuck immediately. I only captured him pushing out of the stream, jumping onto his bike and motoring off:

And the last picture of the day -- cresting the last ridge and Denio Junction in sight down in the valley. Still cows in the way, though. This picture was seriously adjusted for light exposure -- it was simultaneously dark in the shadows and blindingly bright when exposed to the sun. We rolled into Denio at about 8:30 if I recall, and were happy to find burgers and fries boxed up on the bar waiting for us. Loop one complete.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #120
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
damn mark nice photography! heres a few more of my crummy snapshots. Then I'm leaving for another ride till Sunday (Mark too i think?) Mike and Chuck will have to feeding this thread pics.

here's an example of a surprise wire gate right around a blind corner, would have hit this one at night I'm afraid (ride sweep he he)

fiddlin around with cameras or gps's no doubt

pee stop?

back on good road again, 2 riders ahead

ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote