Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #16
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
Chinipas to Alamos - is that the road that goes up past the gypsum quarry? I like that one. CWC dragged me there. ;)

I want to be like CWC when I grow up, but till then I have to earn a living. So while CWC and compadres are leisurely touring eastern Mexico, I'll be doing a whirlwind tour of the area with a fellow Minnesotan. Rather than step on CWC's thread here I've started a new one with some questions.

Powershouse screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 09:09 AM
Powershouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Chinipas -Alamos route

Good question , yes it does go past a gypsum mine .... but are there two possible routes from Chinipas to Alamos ? .... Anybody ? routes that could be done on a KLR !
After crossing the bridge across Rio Chinipas I noticed that there was a gravel road that ran west with a northern trend , but upon asking several people driving pickups I was repeatedly assured that that road did NOT lead to Alamos but only into La Sierra and to ranchos. My Guija Roji does optimistically show a yellow road that way leading to San Bernardo then south to Alamos, but is obviously very,very optimistic
They emphatically told me that to reach Alamos I needed to follow the signs directing me to Alamos from the old river ford location. This route heads straight at the big mountain and then starts to zig zag upward steeply .It is surfaced in gravel, rocks and sections have very deep dust of a volcanic ash layers that it passes through. The climb up I found to be the most challenging section
The road also pasess the exit road to Milpillas, but by that time you are on top of the mountain mostly and soon the landscape eases into more farmable land, some villages and after the gypsum mine it becomes a regular gravel route. Pavement starts showing up near Los Tanques and it is a nice deset type highway to Alamos.
On the east approach to Chinipas from Temoris there are two possible routes once you have passed the monster mine at Palamrejo .There is a fork in the road .The north arm is the "direct route" to Chinipas to the air strip at north side of Chinipas. The south fork at first winds up a mountain with oak forest and then down again, very scenic with some neat tunnelled shortcuts , quite easy gravel road to mine sites and a village and some ranchos along the way . It winds down to the desert again and ends up in the south side of Chinipas

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 05:23 PM Reason: spelling corrections /typos
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Good question , yes it does go past a gypsum mine .... but are there two possible routes from Chinipas to Alamos ? .... Anybody ? routes that could be done on a KLR !
After crossing the bridge across Rio Chinipas I noticed that there was a gravel road that ran west with a northern trend , but upon asking several people driving pickups I was repeatedly assured that that road did NOT lead to Alamos but only into La Sierra and to ranchos. My Guija Roji does optimistically show a yellow road that way leading to San Bernardo then south to Alamos, but is obviously very,very optimistic
I think the road to San Bernardo is doable, but might be hard work. There was a ride report on it maybe a year or two ago. They had a V-Strom IIRC and it really kicked their asses.

You can also go north from the bridge and eventually end up in Uruachi. It's a pretty decent gravel road unless you take the side trip through Guadalupe Victoria.

When I commented on the condition of the Chinipas-Alamos road to the lady at the hotel in Temoris she told me they regularly go to Alamos "via carro".

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

QRO and GTO roads

There are a couple of roads that start about 75 km. SW of Jalpan.

One goes to San Jose Iturbide and the other goes to San Luis de La Paz.

Does anyone know if they are paved. On GE it looks like they MIGHT be.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 10-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

CWC , yesssssssss !!! those roads are paved all the way. Just did that region again this past March-April.
EXCELLENT touring routes, great scenery from highdesert to higher greener country still,.
From Mex 120 south of Pinal de Amoles 22km turn west on the road to Penamiller, then Santa Catarina
From Sta Catarina there are ,2 possible routes to next town Victoria,north one via Rio Victoria Valley and south one more hill country.From Victoria keep going west to San Luis dela Paz a big city with an old core and only 10km east of Mex 57
The south road from Sta Catarina gets you to a junction of paved highway west to SanJose Iturbide an old desert mining town.
Al these towns I mention have hotels for you , Pemex in Penamiller, Sta Cat. ,Victoria and elsewhere.
If you are in Santa Catarina regardles of time of day make a point of stopping for a meal or just some refreshments at the Restaurant EL INDIO, easy to find and all locals can direct you.This nice restaurant is operated by my friends Gustavo and his wife and the friendly staff.Gustavo speeks great English and they can get up a nice variety of Mexican or Anglo dishes for you.Tell 'em I sent you and give them my greetings.A picture of them from 2010

Also it needs to be mentioned that there is an excellent set of super scenic gravel roads up north of these towns in the Sierra Gorda , to places like Xichu (hotels too) and Atarjea ,old valley mining towns .These are still mostly gravel ( from Sta Catarina NE it is first 70 km of great new winding pavement) but very well laid out easy riding , nothing to be scared of and very interesting country up among oak forest.But they do take time so that is why you can aim for hotels in the towns I mention

A bit late, but this is the road sign for Alamos on west side of river at Chinipas in my earlier post Quite a
number of places to ride to

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 12:25 PM
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #21
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Not to hijack a thread, but,
I used Sjoerd's guide book and some of CWC's Copper Canyon tracks on a ride this last spring and would like to thank both of you for sharing your hard work with the rest of us.
Though I must say the route from Satevo through Morales and down to El Fuerte was one cobbled up dusty sun of a gun on the 990.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #22
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
I used Sjoerd's guide book and some of CWC's Copper Canyon tracks on a ride this last spring and would like to thank both of you for sharing your hard work with the rest of us.
Though I must say the route from Satevo through Morales and down to El Fuerte was one cobbled up dusty sun of a gun on the 990.
You're welcome.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 10-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
I used Sjoerd's guide book and some of CWC's Copper Canyon tracks on a ride this last spring and would like to thank both of you for sharing your hard work with the rest of us......
Yellow Brick Road...:)
You already have a good brain, obviously.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
I'm thinking about taking the road to Batopilas, new, old, whatever I need to do. Will be 2-up on GSA. Not skeered of dirt but don't want to be crashing either. Any recent info. on road conditions and driving times would be appreciated. Jim
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Jimmex....driving time as from what starting point ?.. near the route to Batopilas?
Just recently read a post here which said much of the road down into the canyon is now paved already.
Before it was paved you could easily use up two 3 or... hours just doing that 60km route from the start of it at
the main highway at Samachique. It took that long not necessarily because it was so difficult but because it was so spectacularly scenic that one would be a fool not to make frequent stops just to stand and gawk and take it all in.
Just because it is now,or may be ,mostly paved that will not detract from the scenic vistas and you will still need a couple of hours .
But really if you start the leg to Batopilas at Creel for instance you can make it into a day's ride , ,just pace yourselves on the big bike and get to the town in the afternoon. None of this racing in and back to Creel in one day just because the new pavement might make that possible. All the wailing about the ride being ruined just because of pavement is nonsense. There are still, and will be for a long time , many other unpaved roads to explore if one is so inclined and averse to pavement.The roads are there to serve the Mexican population living there, not for the prime purpose of giving us motorcyclists a playground.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
jimmex
Guero con moto

Sorry should have been more clear; I'm inquiring about the new detour route around the construction from Samachique to Bato. Also whether there are days when you can go through the construction zone on the old road that is being paved? Thanks. JIm
PAPA
SJTR
Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #27
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
Jimmex, the "new" road from Samachique to Bato might be a bit much for 2 up riding. It has a few nasty sections. (rode it in December, maybe they worked on it?) But I can't imagine the classic/origional road from Samachique to Bato is closed during any rumored construction since it's the only real way to get to Bato. The classic route is an easy day BTW. 3-4 hours without a camera, 5 or 6 with a camera. Definately spend the night in Bato. 2 up on a GS, I would highly reccomend the classic/traditional route. It's spectacular!

BoulderGuy screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 01:03 PM
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #28
jimmex
Guero con moto

Thanks, I've done the regular route many times but had heard that it is completely closed while they work on the switchback part of the road. I will find out in all likelihood next week. Saludos, JIm
PAPA
SJTR
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #29
BoulderGuy
out ridin'....

Oddometer: 433
Jimmex, I would think that if the main route is actually closed they will have spend some time fixing up the new road so people can actually get to/from Bato. It's a nice route BTW. That new road also connects Bato and Urique pretty directly without having to go the long (but nice) route that skirts Tubares. Have fun!
BoulderGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #30
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Detour to Batopilas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Thanks, I've done the regular route many times but had heard that it is completely closed while they work on the switchback part of the road. I will find out in all likelihood next week. Saludos, JIm
Jimmex;

As many AdvRiders know and for those that are new commers to the canyon, the new road under construction to be paved, the crew is just a few 3 kms after Kírare ( Quirare ), exactly at the view point where the 1st bridge down at la BUFA is spotted.,due to topografic conditions no crossing is available, Sometimes locals on both sides exchange transportation, but when needed the best way is to go to Guachochic, take the road to YOQUIVO-- ABOREACHI--BUENA VISTA--LA CARBONERA.
From la CARBONERA to the intersection of the oiginal road passing by the airstrip is only 16 kms going down, from this intersecction it is 6kms to BATO.
From Guachochic to LA CARBONERA it´s 35 KMS,by the way this road is being prepared to be paved to connect to TUBARES passing through POLANCO,SAN MIGUEL ( site of one of two bridges at the SINFOROSA RIO, the other is at GUERACHI ).
It´s wise to go to the site where the road crew is and find out if it passable,46kms back and forth paved.

The other route to BATO is from SAMACHIQUE taking the new ( has about 3 years) road that heads to URIQUE and makes a loop to BATO ( SAMACHIQUE to BATO 120 kms, not for 2 up.)

CWC and his Pandilla (gang) from Minnesota were the first to do that route, second was Burt Gunn and riders, It´s a must for lighter bikes, solo,. Fortunately it has rained quite a lot, so the roads are maintained after the rains have passed.

While at GUACHOCHIC have dinner at los ADOBES rainbow trout and ask the owner,Sr Chaparro about the route to BATO, he knows it very well !
Hope this quote is of some use
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote