User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
munchausendrive OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Question Push rod contact.

I bought my first bike back in August. It's a '72 R60/5 and my life is all the better for it. I do have a question though.

I pulled one of the cylinders to replace a push-rod gasket and the push-rods showed signs of contacting the sides of the push rod tubes. Is this normal?

Also, I'm planning on rebuilding the forks. Any thoughts on replacing the stock springs with a progressive set from Hucky?

Thanks

munchausendrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,835
Yes, those marks are very normal.

I recommend staying with the stock springs and adding more preload. In the end you will have better working forks for it. Plus it saves you money.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Another possibilty is that the head gasket was installed upside down to cause the marks.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,316
One possibility-- the head gasket fits one way. If you flip it over, it'll still seal OK but the pushrod tube holes will be offset and the pushrods will rub the head gasket. If the scoring is deep, the pushrod can be weakened. Easy to spot, just look down the pushrod tube and thegasket offset will be evident.

--Bill

Oops, didn't see 100RT's post-- yeah, what he said. :)

Bill Harris screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:20 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,835
An upside downb head gasket will rub on the pushrods but they will most definitely have rub marks with a correctly installed head gasket. The pushrods flex and rub the end of the pushrod tubes in both the top of the cylinders and the ends of the tubes in the base of the heads. They seem to do it about the same whether it's a R60 cam, a 308 or a 336. Aluminum pushrods almost always have rub marks in the same spots for the same reasons in every airhead engine. Those pushrods flex a lot! I don't know for sure but I bet they do it even more with stiffer valve springs?
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
munchausendrive OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thanks for the fast replies. I replaced the gasket with a new one. it definitely went on the right direction. I didn't look closely at the old one. The marking didn't seem severe so if it's not unheard on I'm no longer concerned.

Are there any good thread about increasing the pre-load on the front springs?
munchausendrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Freeagain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I put new progressives into toan '84 G/S (replacing originals). Absolutely transformed to the bike. Horror to joy.
Freeagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchausendrive View Post
Thanks for the fast replies. I replaced the gasket with a new one. it definitely went on the right direction. I didn't look closely at the old one. The marking didn't seem severe so if it's not unheard on I'm no longer concerned.

Are there any good thread about increasing the pre-load on the front springs?
One last possibility, if you didn't support the rocker blocks when torquing the heads the whole assembly can sag and the pushrods will contact the pushrod tubes at their fullest extension. If installed correctly, at top dead center (like when you are adjusting valves) the pushrods should be above center in the pushrod tube where it exits the head. This will leave room for the up and down motion of the rod, due to the rocker moving in the horizontal plane and the rod pushing up at an angle.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote