User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
F8GS Foot Brake Lever Top Position

Sorry if this questions has been already raised. I did a search but had results with zillion possibilities.... However, think its in the nature of a forum that some questions may have been asked several times. Pls dont shoot me

After a short ride I tried to adjust the foot brake lever as it is far too low for offroad riding when I stand on the pegs. Unfortunately the pedal seems to be already in its top position as the lever touches its upper stop (I think thats the stoplight switch).
Turning the spindle just reduces the pedals gap. Sure I can add a bracket on the pedal so that it gets higher but I'd like to have a possibility to lift and lower the lever as I am not always riding off road.

I think the position of the pedal is standard but I can remember that when I installed the TouraTech crash bars that I had to take of the brake pedal and had to add a small bracket or plate, cant remember for what this was but am sure that this did not change the pedals original position.

How did you solve the problem?

Regards
Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,377
I found that enlarging the Brake lever helps. Maybe try that if you can't lift the position
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Grind down the tang on the back of the pedal arm where it makes contact with the brake light switch. Then adjust the connector to the rear master cylinder.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
ebnelson
Frozen rider

Oddometer: 233
Putting Fastway pegs on "low boy" position has brought the relative height of the brake pedal up for me.
ebnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 179
Bend it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Sorry if this questions has been already raised. I did a search but had results with zillion possibilities.... However, think its in the nature of a forum that some questions may have been asked several times. Pls dont shoot me

After a short ride I tried to adjust the foot brake lever as it is far too low for offroad riding when I stand on the pegs. Unfortunately the pedal seems to be already in its top position as the lever touches its upper stop (I think thats the stoplight switch).
Turning the spindle just reduces the pedals gap. Sure I can add a bracket on the pedal so that it gets higher but I'd like to have a possibility to lift and lower the lever as I am not always riding off road.

I think the position of the pedal is standard but I can remember that when I installed the TouraTech crash bars that I had to take of the brake pedal and had to add a small bracket or plate, cant remember for what this was but am sure that this did not change the pedals original position.

How did you solve the problem?

Regards
Steve
I simple grabbed the foot brake lever by the end and bent it outwards (away from the bike) so that the top (vertical) triangle of the brake lever was easily reachable when standing. In it's stock position this part of the lever is too close to the bike to step on with the boot.

Works like a charm. Takes 10 seconds. And best yet - costs nothing.
11Husqvarna TE 449
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

guys, many thanks for all your hints. Yo, I did already think about grinding the pedals stop down a bit but as this is irreversible I finally didnt do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Rrr View Post
I simple grabbed the foot brake lever by the end and bent it outwards (away from the bike) so that the top (vertical) triangle of the brake lever was easily reachable when standing. In it's stock position this part of the lever is too close to the bike to step on with the boot.

Works like a charm. Takes 10 seconds. And best yet - costs nothing.
I will try this, now that I read that I can remember that I saw a video about off road riding techniques where the trainer did something similiar. With big pliers he bent the vertical triangle outwards. After that it wasnt exactly vertical anymore but could be reached with the boot. Maybe this triangle is intended for being used in the described way.

However, thanks for the hint, seems its a good idea and does not cost me anything

BR, Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 179
May I recommend the "no pliers" approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
guys, many thanks for all your hints. Yo, I did already think about grinding the pedals stop down a bit but as this is irreversible I finally didnt do it.

I will try this, now that I read that I can remember that I saw a video about off road riding techniques where the trainer did something similiar. With big pliers he bent the vertical triangle outwards. After that it wasnt exactly vertical anymore but could be reached with the boot. Maybe this triangle is intended for being used in the described way.

However, thanks for the hint, seems its a good idea and does not cost me anything

BR, Steve
It was on the BMW Off-road DVD by RawHyde. I found that using large pliers actually wanted to twist the brake pedal. Was easier to just pull the pedal outwards from the end of it. This left the vertical triangle perpendicular to the pedal.

Happy braking!

Kyle
11Husqvarna TE 449
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
nzcvlh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I cut the stop off of the lever and brazed on a coupling nut about 1 inch long and then added a threaded stainless steel bolt and jam nut. Now I have complete adjustability. Works and looks great, I like to change the position depending on boots and type of riding.

Dave
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzcvlh View Post
I cut the stop off of the lever and brazed on a coupling nut about 1 inch long and then added a threaded stainless steel bolt and jam nut. Now I have complete adjustability. Works and looks great, I like to change the position depending on boots and type of riding.

Dave
any chance you can post a picture of this mod?
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
nzcvlh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
sure, I'll take a pic and post today.
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
Steveman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote: