User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Geeto67 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Are they all denfeld?

So I bought what I thought was a stock /6 or /7 seat (no cowl) that was sitting in a friend's pile of seats at her shop. She had no idea what it fit and gave it to me for cheap. The cover has a few rips but both the pan and foam are good. However the pan has a denfeld decal affixed to the underside of the seat pan. Were BMW stock seats all made by denfeld? or did I luck into something special? It does not look like it has provisions for the grab rail or the emblem on the back but otherwise it looks like a bone stock seat (could just be a recover). It does have a white painted BMW logo on the back.

opinions?

anybody have a good soruce for the bolt on seat hinges?
Geeto67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,031
What other hardware is there? I think one of the hinges is still available and one is NLA. Are the screw holes for the hinges in good shape? You can get by with only one seat hinge and some set ups don't have any seat hinge, the seat lifts off.

The /7 seat is shorter than the /6.

I have no idea what bike you want to mount this on. Fill in your profile a little more, we find it entertaining.

Seat covers are available. Not sure which years had the white painted emblem but the last year to have a screwed on badge was 1974. I have one on my 1975 even though I know it's wrong.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Geeto67 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I am trying to fit it eventually to my 1986 R80RT monolever. I asked on this forum before and was told it would fit without modification (provided I ditched the plastic cowl), so now I am proceeding with caution. Becasue the mono has a different set of seat hinges I am SOL on the original hinges for a /6 or /7. The screw holes are in great shape, they screws are there as well, just the hinge pieces are missing. I don't mind making my own but would have preferred to just order a set. I think I can hit up the local shops if one of the hinges are NLA.

I don't want to butcher this seat pan - it is in nice shape (a little surface rust, not rot at all). I was planning on sandblasting it and repainting it once I figured out how to mount it.
Geeto67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
The mono lever rear fender is wider so the seat will hit it. Either space the hinges up a little bit or lower the fender. With the BMW logo on the back of the seat I would think it to be a /7 seat. Is the trim around the bottom black(/7) or chrome(/6)? A picture of the seat might help as well.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote