Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 04:28 AM   #1
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,531
Mainland Wanderings (New Zealand)

New beginnings.

As the new year starts I am preparing to go forth with a whole new chapter in this journey we call life.
I've just turned 29 years old, own my own home and have no partner or kids, so what's holding me back?

2014 was a great year for me, definitely one of the best in my life with constant adventures, many new friends have been made and I have reconnected with just as many old friends. I have been places I had only heard of or read about and lead others to destinations they didn't even know about. Many many nights have been spent out under the moon and stars, drinking wine and whiskey, smoking cigars and telling tall tales or sitting by myself contemplating the answer to life, the universe and everything.

The only thing that marred my year has been my health, with more visits to doctors and physiotherapists in one year than the whole past decade. I love my work but it has taken it's toll over the past 15 years, I'm not very old age wise and yet I physically feel knackered.
And I only have to look around me among my older friends to see plenty of those who worked too long and left it too late to do those adventures they had spent all that time dreaming about.

One Thursday night a few months back, I decided I needed to pursue those dreams while I can make the absolute most of them. So a few plans were set in motion, I bought what I reckon is the best bike and gear for the job, gave notice at work and as of today, I have left and am on the road. At this stage I have a loose route planned that is likely to change and no real time schedule or need to be back home by a certain date.
Anticipation is building and I'm looking forward to exploring new trails, meeting new people and visiting old friends again.

The bike was prepared last week and given a thorough 500km shakedown run with some of the local and Nelson lads.
All went well: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...09828&page=123 Post 1837 onwards

Sweet, a service and I'm good to load up and go.

Day 1

After a leisurely start today I left home at 11am and headed off around the Queen Charlotte Drive to see my first lot of friends, my old employers.
It was a bit of an eye opener at the start, I started riding the road like I have literally a few thousand times and it was only a few corners before I was forced to remember I am on a fully loaded up bike.

Once I arrived, over a few coffees and sandwiches we discussed happenings and the future for them without me there to stay on top of things
When it was time to move on I couldn't resist getting a photo with some of the Bradley kids and grand kids.

From there I was a little nervous, the bike is heavier than I'm used to and the conditions of the track ahead was unknown.
Once I hit the gravel I noticed a cool spot to stop and let the tires down a tad:

With 18psi in the front the bike was feeling much better and I continued on my way up the Maungatapu track, it was rough in sections, smooth in others and oh so much fun.
I had my mojo back, the bike was feeling balanced and comfortable

This hole looked enticing in the 31'c heat but it was a long way down sheer sides so no swimming here unfortunately:

It was a relief to make it to the top and get off the bike to cool down, those hills distant right surround my home:

And where I was heading for the night, right down in the midst of the heat haze, Nelson:

The descent was awesome, the track was smooth hard pack with drainage humps for the most part and I was having a blast and working up a sweat.
I inadvertently took a wrong turn and found myself at a nice beach with a beautiful pool but seeing as it's the water supply, I thought I better not go for a swim in it

After a cool off, it was time to visit my cousins which is where I'm at now.
I've a big feed of home grown salad and spuds, some nice chicken, a bottle of wine and many many laughs
I'm thinking it's time for bed.

Freedom is found in moments like these, when the track ahead is unknown, home seems distant and the ability to let go of self imposed limits and step outside comfort zones is almost tangible.

Day one done and dusted.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #2
kiwibolt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Awesome. Looking forward to this one. I lived in Hamilton from 2003-2008 and I miss the hell out of NZ. Can't wait to see some of the countryside through your lens.

Got a rough plan of where you're headed? Looks like you're not taking the ferry to the North Island based on your route. I've got a ton of great memories from driving through the South Island. Such amazingly beautiful country.
kiwibolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
kiwibul
Staffy

Oddometer: 119
looking good Deano, if your in reefton and need a bed let me know as the kids all live down there, they can show you some good roads, have fun and keep safe....
Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,299
Subscribed

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibolt View Post
Awesome. Looking forward to this one. I lived in Hamilton from 2003-2008 and I miss the hell out of NZ. Can't wait to see some of the countryside through your lens.

Got a rough plan of where you're headed? Looks like you're not taking the ferry to the North Island based on your route. I've got a ton of great memories from driving through the South Island. Such amazingly beautiful country.
Yea, I'm just doing the South Island for now but that may change yet.
So I'm heading North to Takaka/Golden Bay, south down the West coast, around the bottom of Fiordland/Southland and zigzagging my way back up Otago and Canterbury back to Marlborough.
Heaps of tracks are in my notebook and GPS and if all goes to plan, I'm planning on taking 4+weeks at it.

Short days, stop and admire the scenery, take a swim, have a holiday
Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
John C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Following with interest.

Good luck Deano!
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 449
Great pics!

Looking forward to your RR.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Destination for the day, Takaka via a few back roads

Sent from my GT-S6500D using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
nichloasjerry1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Count me in
Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #10
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Great start! Looking forward to the rest.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Man what a day, run into a mate travelling over this way, so we've been doing some crazy climbing through the bush and swimming at pohara.

I'll try and post some pics later on if I still have reception

Sent from my GT-S6500D using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #12
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 509
Subbed!

Is the coffee boat still around there somewhere? Always worth a nudge
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:37 AM   #13
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaTTaz View Post
Subbed!

Is the coffee boat still around there somewhere? Always worth a nudge
Where's that then?

Day 2
Another slow start, my cuzzy cooked us all up a bunch of these to start the day off right, bacon wrapping with avacado, cherry tomatoes, parsley and an egg cracked on the top:

I was in no hurry to head north so the decision was made to explore Pigeon Valley Road through to Dovedale, the scenery was nothing special but the gravel was smooth hard pack, the seal smooth and twisty and the scent of the Eucalyptus and Pine trees lining the road was heavenly!

From there it was a cruisey ride up the Motueka Valley road, admiring the crops of apples, tobacco and hops growing in such healthy looking profusion.
A quick fuel up in Motueka and I was back on the road heading towards Takaka Hill and it's horrible holiday traffic, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing as it kept me in check.

The ride down the north side was MUCH better with very little traffic to contend with

What an impressive hill it is

Hunger and heat meant a quick stop to buy some lunch and a bottle of beer in Takaka, then heading straight for Pohara.
Well blow me down, I found a familiar looking vehicle and it's occupants already there.
My mate Joe is doing a similar route with his American fiancee so we spent some time catching up on the cricket and cleaning up the bottle before we jumped in the ocean for a swim.

Now we both know of this crazy little route up onto the cliff behind Pohara but it was 10 year since either of us had walked it.
I have to say in under the trees it was slightly cooler but not when you're climbing very steep rock faces.

Admiring a large Rata:

The track goes under the Ratas roots...

...past some interesting limestone formations...

...climb up a very very steep, muddy slope by clinging to more rata roots...

...and break out of the bush to a view like this, thats a damned scary drop right next to where I'm standing (I posed for one shot then thought fuck this, that'll do )

The climb down was a whole 'nother story, Joe decided to explore to see if we could find another route.
Well after bluffs, over grown bush, muddy bogs and a lot of sidling we were back down at the road, dirty, scratched, very sweaty and ready for another swim.

Hmmm still early, so why not backtrack to The Grove Scenic Reserve for some much easier trails, this one actually has steps and a viewing platform, luxuuury.

It was getting on time to find a place to stay the night but not before a quick visit to the beautiful turquoise waters of Pupu Springs:

We stopped further down at the Takaka River for a swim before cruising up to Collingwood and finding a great spot on the beach at the local campground.
Aaaaaand it was here that I found I'd lost my cell phone.

A quick call to it and it was answered, "yea mate I'm camped in the house bus called the Hillbilly Hilton at Takaka River, come and get it whenever".
Well seeing as I'm heading in the other direction tomorrow, I chucked the panniers in the tent and raced back south again.
Damn, what a RIDE!
Empty road, nice surface, light bike, warm evening and a stunning red sunset.
Too bad I left the camera in the tent in my hurry.

So thats it for Day 2, tomorrow I fuel up and Joe and I are making our way out to Westhaven Inlet and south to the Patarau and Anatori Rivers.
I'm guessing reception is gonna be nil, so you all are gonna have to wait in suspense a few days to find out how we get on.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:12 AM   #14
nichloasjerry1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Keep them coming
Old 01-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #15
kiwibul
Staffy

Oddometer: 119
great going Deano, Golden Bay has to be one of my favorite spots.( going over there in February for Old Thumpers VMX racing) enjoy the Bay...