Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
Open-Explorers OP
Daniel R.

Oddometer: 58
RTW 2-wheels 1-world 0-money (+ THE GIRL)

Josephine and I started our Pan-American trip 9 months ago in New York. It took meeting Glen Heggstad in Mazatlan, Mexico for us to finally start our Ride-Report here. Glen hosted us over Christmas at his awesome place right on the beach. We had a fantastic time talking adventure and sharing travel stories. Subsequently we were reminded of one of the reasons of why we travel the world on motorcycles - to share the experience with those who are currently unable to do the same. So here we are now, planning to be back frequently.

To catch you up quickly; I started my RTW in 2008 in Berlin, made it through Europe, North-Africa, Middle East, Asia, SEA, Australia and New Zealand until I finally decided (2011) to take a break from traveling in order to be with the girl that I met along the way, Josephine (also referred to as Joey). April, this year (2014) we shipped both our bikes over the big pond and zig-zagged across the US and Canada together. Our plan is to make it all the way down to the most Southern tip of Argentina, which will take at least another year. It's been a blast so far and if nothing too incredible happens in the next few days here in Mexico (that makes us wanna write about it right away), we'll jot down a number of entries on our experiences of the past months. For now, we wish you all a happy New Year! Till soon.

Open-Explorers screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 07:39 PM
Open-Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Bring it!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
nichloasjerry1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Subed
Old 01-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,869
Because of the ever-growing over-commercialization of Christmas, I usually spend the holidays outside the US. But this year fellow riders Daniel, Joey and Ingo from Germany made Christmas two dinners the way they should be. Lucky for us, Joey is a creative cook with a penchant for decorations as well.

I first met Daniel online six months ago after writing to him to congratulate him on his award-winning documentary about riding around the world. After only viewing the trailer, I knew he was onto something great that will promote our common passion beyond what we’ve all seen before. This current journey is a sequel to their previous so stay tuned for fascinating video and pics.

Daniel says better with his video and words more than all of the adventure-moto books and documentaries so far, including mine. His work better encapsulates everything I tried to get across in my postings here on advrider and through my books. After seeing the complete documentary here in Mazatlan, my first thought was that not only every motorcyclist but also everyone in the world should see it to better understand each other.

For those who have experienced international moto-travel, you will be mesmerized as you relive your travels through this astounding documentary. And for those still in the dream stage, this will fan the flames and likely compel moving forward your departure date.

I could not recommend this documentary strong enough. Check it out.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 1,012

Sub'd!
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
johnnybgood8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Im in!!!
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:07 PM   #7
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,869
You guys gotta check this trailer. I promise you will love it.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Open-Explorers OP
Daniel R.

Beginning

Thanks Glen for your kind words, I'm very glad you enjoyed watching "Somewhere Else Tomorrow" when we were at your place.

Riders! When you ride South, make sure you stop at Glen's in Matzatlan, Mexico. He's not only a great guy but also a fantastic host. He absolutely knows what a traveller needs. We instantly felt at home.

But let me catch you up on what happened since we started in New York 9 months ago before I get into what we are getting ourselves into these days. (For some tales of the first leg of the journey check this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838459 )

So, we shipped both our bikes to Newark and flew ourselves into the big apple. Getting the bikes through customs and on the road was pretty painless. It took us a couple of phone calls and about 4 hours of handling paperwork at the harbour. (With Wallenius Wilhelmson RoRo for 1200 Euros each bike all in.) The only downside - both mirrors of the R80GS were missing :( Someone needed them badly I guess.

Even though the timing of our flight and the bikes arriving was quite seamless, we wanted to spend some time in the city. Staying there is not cheap, we knew that. But we were very lucky. Months before we left, when the movie premiered in Germany, a guy came up to me afterwards and introduced himself and said: "When you continue your journey and pass through New York, I know someone you can stay with!" So I emailed this stranger's friend and asked him if he'd host us for a couple of days. The stranger's friend promptly replied saying that he wouldn't be home when we arrive but he would send a friend to let us in. When we finally arrived in NYC, we met the stranger's friend's friend at Penn Station. He gave us some printed Google maps and the key to the apartment. There we were in the city that never sleeps, where nobody trusts anybody, staying at somebody's place who we've never met. That's what travellers-luck is. Or as the ADVmoto magazine's editor Nicole uses to say "ROADMAGIC". And that was only the beginning of what our U.S. experience was like. More soon...

Old 01-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
Open-Explorers OP
Daniel R.

Ready to ride

Having gotten our 2 sets of wheels on the Americas we were ready to ride up to most northern motor-able place in Alaska - Deadhorse, Prudhoe Bay - before going all the way down to the most Southern tip of Argentina. But we didn't just go straight north-west of course. Our route is very much determined by the jobs we score along the way. Like during the first trip, we are still/again on the 0-money theme... working as we go to support our journey. We pretty much started on empty bank accounts again. (Just to make it more interesting)

It didn't help that I spend all our money on a newer bike ('07 GS) just before we left. Yes, the 30-year old R80GS (+200,000km) I owned would have done it too. But I would have had to invest a couple of grand to make her at least halfway fit enough for the current trip. And then I still wouldn't have had throttle and brakes that amaze. So I took the plunge and upgraded. I was thinking about a F800GS to be the successor, but I test-rode one for a whole day. Well... it's a great bike, but... I wasn't sure. After riding it for 8hrs on and off road, I came back to the dealer, parked it and got onto my old bike to ride home. It was exactly then that I knew the F800GS is not for me. My old bike immediately showed me its love for twisties just by the way it turned from the dealers driveway onto the road. The low center of gravity of the boxer engine makes it feel so nimble and fun to corner. Or maybe that's just what I'm used to.. Anyways, I decided to stick to bikes with boxer engines and Geeee... with all the twisties in the US and Canada in the past 8 months, I have not regretted it. And off-road... well, there's bikes out there that are easier offroad, but during the last 35,000 km, there was no place that I wanted to go but couldn't. And as for Joey, she loves her R80GS! Even if we could afford it, she wouldn't trade her R80. She says, a bike has to have a tank that looks like a tank and a round headlight. Bikes nowadays look like spaceships. I love her for that (and for letting me spend our last money on the newer GS)

Anyways, we had to meander through the US and Canada picking up random jobs as we went along. We had our first gig in Cleveland in an upholstery company. We've never done anything like it, but we were ready to give it a try. Funny story about how we came in contact with the owner; I think Touratech posted something about our 2-wheels 1-world 0-MONEY theme somewhere on the web and someone emailed us saying something about having a friend in Cleveland... Anyways, we met the guy and had a great time there. Didn't make too much gas-money, but still great time...

Then I was editing a documentary in L.A. and we did some berry picking and working on a construction site in Canada... not making us rich, but we're still rolling and that's what matters. More soon.

midget-power-pole

route planning

Great Sand Dunes in Colorado

Ain't she cute?

The big one

camping at the big one... or the "grand" one better ;)
Old 01-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
johnnybgood8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Cmon guys keep it up
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 AM   #11
pi8ikos
Overlanding Monkey

Oddometer: 24
Hola Daniel and Josephine,

Thanks for posting here. Advrider is a great motorcycle community.
I've followed your first trip and just recently rented your dvd from vimeo.
Just want to say that I truly appreciate your ethics and view of the world.
Hope from the bottom of my heart for you guys to be healthy and that hopefully one day will cross each other's paths.

Regards mate
pi8ikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #12
Open-Explorers OP
Daniel R.

Going up

Needless to say, because of all the random jobs, we were running a bit late going up to the most Northern, motor-able point in Alaska. It was late August, soon to be September when we started in Northern Canada. To be honest, we were only worried about timing when Joey noticed some weird vibrations and noise coming from the bike. "What if something breaks?" We blissfully ignored the bike signalling us and sure enough only two days later I hear Joey over the intercom: "Urg, oh nooooo... Yolanda (her bike) made a very loud metallic noise! It came from the engine I think. I have to stope!"

"Oh no" I thought "The dream of riding Alaska's gone." I turned around to check out her bike and yeah... gearbox's gone. We were in the middle of nowhere 40 miles from the next tiny town. I got Joey to ride my bike and I rode her's, slowly and in whatever gear I could keep on rolling. I was worried about the gearbox jamming, the rear wheel blocking and being thrown off along the way. Anyways, we made it to New Hazelton: One street, a gas station, a couple of buildings and a bakery. We sat there for a while, munching muffins, thinking about whether we should temporarily ride both on my bike, just in order to make to our destination in time. Joey was devastated. She loves her bike. Anyways, the bakery had Wifi. I got right on it working social media, asking for any tips. I didn't even think about opening up the gearbox, it would take too long. I just thought, if we can get a re-conditioned replacement gearbox shipped up, I can swap that around in no time. Anyways... happy go lucky. Within 6 hours of the breakdown, we had an offer from Shail's Motorcycles in Vancouver. But not only that, as soon as I went online I had an email pop in from the berry picking guy saying that he has a friend in precisely that town that we were stuck in. What are the odds? The berry picking guy, his friend and us got on a Skype conference call and... We had a place to stay for the time it took to get the gearbox shipped. Oh, are we lucky!

A couple of days later, having made new friends and repaired the bike, off we were. But not without another hick-up before reaching the Arctic Ocean...

Old 01-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
Open-Explorers OP
Daniel R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pi8ikos View Post
Hola Daniel and Josephine,

Thanks for posting here. Advrider is a great motorcycle community.
I've followed your first trip and just recently rented your dvd from vimeo.
Just want to say that I truly appreciate your ethics and view of the world.
Hope from the bottom of my heart for you guys to be healthy and that hopefully one day will cross each other's paths.

Regards mate
Thanks Pi8ikos, let's stay in touch and meet on the road somewhere. Ride safe.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
radmann10
Fred

Oddometer: 53
Great RR

I'm in! Do you have all the tools needed to R&R a gearbox with you?
radmann10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,705
zero $....i like it, you and me share the same situation....

subscribed!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote