User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
DRglidarn OP
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 473
Thumb A trip with my KTM 690 to Preikestolen in Norway

I got four days off from the family and was eager to go for a ride. Quickly i decided to go for Preikestolen in Norway, a spectacular rock formation with a great view over Lysefjord.

From the beginning i planned to do this trip with my son on my 1200GS Adv, but since our family had spent three weeks in Italy togeather he wanted to stay at home with friends. Hopefully we will do some other ride soon. That made med to go with the 690 instead since i was curious to test it as a light tourer.

Monday 14th July i packed up and left Trollhättan in Sweden and aimed for Strömstad close to the Norwegian border. About a 150 Km ride on windling roads thru Dalsland. I didn get there as planned (or with lack of planning) as i now know that the 2014 KTM 690 is able to get at least 270 Km on a full fill... I got a fuelstop after passing a fuelstation that i thought i could fill on, but it was shut down. No one stopped to help at the road side so i had to push the bike o the closest farmer. I got 0,8 liters from a lawn mower can, all he got, but that was enough to reach the fuelstation in Strömstad 20 Km away.

From Strömstad there is a ferry to Sandefjord, Norway. It takes 2,5 hours and was a good rest on upper deck and refilled myself with a dinner onborad.

I was planning to overnight in cabins (hytte in norwegian), but i had packed a hammock just in case. I was late entering Norway because of my fuelstop delay. In Norway it could be difficult to find a available cabin after 6 PM (18.00) and ofcourse that was my case so i had to hang in the wild first night. I couldn't care less though since i had at great view from the hammock :)

Day two was a great ride starting with looking at a roadmap that i bought at a fuelstation in Sandefjord. However it seems to be difficult to fail on road choises in Norway. I was aiming for the small village Lysebotn in the far end of Lysefjord. From there i knew that i could get a ferry (Hurtigferry) thru the fjord to Forsand close to Preikestolen. The leg this day was about 350 Km and I had some rain on the high mountain passes, but the riders paradise type of roads easily made it a great ride! I also got lucky to stumble on the Eidsborg Stavkirke, an old wooden church dated to about 1250, restored at some point but not reshaped. The ferry in Lysefjord is a must do in this area, beautiful trip!

Video Part 1

http://youtu.be/td150XM-KhU

DRglidarn screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 03:08 PM
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Great video, thank you for sharing, I look forward to the next parts.

Kiwi Mike
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Europe trip 2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971014
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
DRglidarn OP
Panzer pilot

Thanks Kiwi Mike!
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
DRglidarn OP
Panzer pilot

Talking

The ferry from Lysebotn took me to Forsand where i jumped off (the ferry goes on to Stavanger) with the bike and throttled on about 10 minutes to Preikestolens Fjellstove, the hotel/hostel closest to Preikestolen itself. I had called the hostel during the time i waited for the ferry in Lysebotn and was lucky to get a bed in a room shared with others and brekfast included. I shared the room with an Argentinian family, so we talked about the football championship ofcourse. I walked up to the restaurant at the evening and got a great dinner made by a member in the norwegian topteam of chefs, a surprise that was welcome after a good day in the saddle. A couple of beers and a long drink named Preikestolens Fjellbekk later i walked down to the hostel where i chatted with a brittish donna and her father. We took a late walk to the beach and back before i crashed in my bed.

Day three, finally it was time for the goal of this miniadventure! I got upp pretty early to check the weather forecast before walking up to the spectacular Preikestolen. I found out that the rain in the morning should clear up about lunchtime, so i took my time with the breakfast. Prepared with filling up my water bladder backpack with fresh water, a sandwich and a egg. i started the walk in light rain in time to get upp to hopefully better weather to get a good view. It was perfect to walk up the pretty steep and demanding walk in this weather condition. The walk is 3,8 Km and takes about 1-2 hours each way. When i came to the top it was still mist and the view was not that good. I sat down at the top to eat what i brought. I also met two nice couples from Sweden that was on a motorcycletrip togeather. During that time ot suddenly cleared up to get a good view of the Lysefjord from the cliff. Ofcourse i had to sit on the edge to suck in the view and time being there
A great place that didn't felt like a tourist trap, i definately recommend everyone that has the chance to go for it! To be there and get the spectacular view took a warm place in my heart and i would go for it again if my family wants to go :)

At the down walk the sun was starting to shine and i could see that this was tougher for the people i met walking up. Now i had a new goal in mind, to get home via great roads to my family before the end of day four :)

Video Part 2

http://youtu.be/kuYNHpoGSk8

DRglidarn screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 04:12 PM
Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,459
beautiful scenery!....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,918
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Norway sure makes rest of the scandinavia look bad.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
DRglidarn OP
Panzer pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Norway sure makes rest of the scandinavia look bad.
That's for sure, i'm happy to have this bikers paradise close enough to go there occasionally, and that is something i need to do more often
Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
DRglidarn OP
Panzer pilot

I packed upp my stuff, switching to riding gear and loaded the bags on the bike pretty soon after getting down from the Prekestolen trail. While loading the bags i met a german girl that was on a solotrip up north, she was riding a Suzuki streetbike and if i remember corectly she was from Freiburg in southern Germany. Someone that knows about her trip, blog or something? Anyway she was cool and was on her way up, hope she got a great experience :) .

Right before i fired up my lovely 690 a thought come up that i mabe should have a look at the map for which road i should take home, the german girl laughed and told me that she used to do the same... Well i choosed to go for the road 45 south of Lysefjord, i thought that this road should be a normal good scenery norwegian road. I was blast by the beautiful scenery!

I started about 14.00 and rode on to about 18.00 before i started to search for a cabin (hytte), a bit to late which could end with a night in the hammock again. While searchin i rode by two guys that had stoped by a streaming mountain creek. They were lying down and was eating their dinner made on Trangias, the dinner looked tasty, especially since i hadn't been eating since i was on the top of Preikestolen. A funny thing was that they looked like Ewan and Charlie from a distance laying beside their 1150 GS Adventures (beautiful bikes), i stoped and chatted with them. We talked about our experiences and got some god tips where to go on the next trip tp Norway. Cool guys from Gothenburg, Sweden. I rode on for about one our and turned off the road where i found a sign for cabins/camping. I was lucky to get a cabin at this place, Tveiten Camping. A nice scenery place. I unloaded the bike and took a quick shower before i sat down infront of the cabin and just relaxed in the sun, eating freezedryed oriental stew, making good coffe with some cinamon sweet bread. Yummy
After the meal i took a walk in the surroundings before i went to bed.

I woke up early at day four and packed up my stuff, i had about 350 Km to Sandefjord and the ferry back to Sweden. I wanted to be there at about 12.00 to get on a ferry at 13.00. The ride started with some light rain for about one hour before the weather got better and later even sunny. The road was great as most roads in the area. I took the road 38 from Dalen eastwards and reached Sandefjord in time, got on the ferry without prebooking a ticket. While waiting for the ferry i rode in to town and managed to get a parking ticket (still waiting for that to arrive by post...). On board i ate a couple of pizza slices and slept outside on deck. Arriving to Strömstad 15.30 i throttled on thru Dalsland again on twisty roads and finally parked outside my home in Trollhättan full of warm memories from a nice unplanned trip.

Now i'm eager to explore more of this southern part of Norway ( have been to other parts before)

Video Part 3 (some babbeling in swedish and didn't tape much from the ride at day four)

http://youtu.be/dktTj3GPd3c

DRglidarn screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 01:12 PM
Old 08-05-2014, 03:06 AM   #9
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Thanks for the ride

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #10
DRglidarn OP
Panzer pilot

My pleasure for sure ;)
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Thank you, I would love to see Preikestolen for myself although I wouldn't go as close to the edge as you
ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #12
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,548
I really liked seeing your little ride in video. The terrain is very similar to many parts of Canada, although the roads look so much better maintained.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

DW
Old 10-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
DRglidarn OP
Panzer pilot

Thanks guys! Chubby, i looked at your Norway RR, great photos! Norway is magic, it's great nature is really a bless for your soul. Lofoten is on my list to ride too :)