Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
joon1911 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Question Does anyone make higher pegs for the R1200GS

Hello inmates,

Does anyone know if anyone makes a higher foot peg for the R1200GS? This might be silly, but I'd like to raise my foot pegs slightly, maybe an inch. I find my boots tend to drag in curves on a fairly regular basis and find it a little disconcerting mid corner. I've always ridden a sport bike prior so I never had this issue before.

I tried to do a search on the forum but didn't see anything pertinent. Most of what I've found concerns lowering foot pegs for comfort. Hopefully raising the pegs slightly won't cause the jugs to drag.

Thanks.
joon1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by joon1911 View Post
Hello inmates,

Does anyone know if anyone makes a higher foot peg for the R1200GS? This might be silly, but I'd like to raise my foot pegs slightly, maybe an inch. I find my boots tend to drag in curves on a fairly regular basis and find it a little disconcerting mid corner. I've always ridden a sport bike prior so I never had this issue before.
At the risk of sounding like a total asshole(again), I'm going to have to call bullshit!
If you come from a sport bike background you already know that the balls of your feet belong on the pegs, and it's the pegs that drag, not your foot.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,879
I think Aerostich also do a platform sole option on sidi combat touring boots. Might be a good way to get that extra inch you're looking for
Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
joon1911 OP
Adventurer

Thumbs down Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
At the risk of sounding like a total asshole(again), I'm going to have to call bullshit!
If you come from a sport bike background you already know that the balls of your feet belong on the pegs, and it's the pegs that drag, not your foot.
JustKip,

You're welcome to call bullshit, it's a free country, but you're right it is a little bit of an asshole move. For your information, since I've picked up the GS I've been doing a lot more distance riding vs. strafing corners. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to ride, just different ways. If I'm riding a real technical area, then the balls of my feet are on the pegs "where they belong" as you say (and yes I do already know this.)

That's not where I have the issue. When I commute or take a more leisurely ride, my feet are positioned where they can use the shift & rear brake levers most efficiently and I tend not to move them, especially right now when the deer are in rut and crossing the road like crazy. I want to be able to brake ASAP, not move my foot around so it doesn't scrape in sharper curves. Go ahead and tell me I'm doing it wrong and I'm going to tell you I don't care about your opinion that I should have the balls of my feet on the pegs so they don't scrape.

Why is it that you feel the need to be an ass (you said it first, I happen to agree) instead of being helpful and answering my question? If you don't have something constructive to add why even post?

Ayrshire,

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't think there is a right or wrong way to ride, just different ways. If I'm riding a real technical area, then the balls of my feet are on the pegs "where they belong" as you say (and yes I do already know this.)
There clearly IS a right and wrong way to "strafe corners", and I assumed you didn't know since it's the obvious cure for your problem. If you never imagined it would be a good idea to raise the pegs on a sport bike, why should it be different on a GS?

Quote:
That's not where I have the issue. When I commute or take a more leisurely ride, my feet are positioned where they can use the shift & rear brake levers most efficiently and I tend not to move them, especially right now when the deer are in rut and crossing the road like crazy. I want to be able to brake ASAP
If you have ABS the brakes are linked. They both activate with the front lever.

Quote:
Go ahead and tell me I'm doing it wrong and I'm going to tell you I don't care about your opinion that I should have the balls of my feet on the pegs so they don't scrape.
[snip]
Ayrshire,

Thanks for your suggestion.
You took the "platform sole" suggestion as serious? That would help short legs reach existing foot pegs, but do aboslutely nothing to get pegs or boots higher. He's making fun of you.

Quote:
Why is it that you feel the need to be an ass (you said it first, I happen to agree) instead of being helpful and answering my question? If you don't have something constructive to add why even post?
Calling me an ass is stating the obvious, as was my suggestion about foot placement was. As I said. I assumed you didn't know, and that's why I was calling BS on the sportbike background. I thought I was being helpful in stating the obvious, albiet in a rude way. Dragging hard parts is a limit of the bike. Dragging body parts is a limit of riding ability.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
... Calling me an ass is stating the obvious, as was my suggestion about foot placement. As I said. I assumed you didn't know, and that's why I was calling BS on the sportbike background. I thought I was being helpful in stating the obvious, albeit in a rude way. Dragging hard parts is a limit of the bike. Dragging body parts is a limit of riding ability.
From a lurker here: just so you know, I thought your initial comment was friendly, not rude and have been dismayed to see how the thread developed.

We all are friends here (or should be) and stating the obvious is not an offense. If that's not the issue, then - if it was me on the receiving end - the response would have been: "thanks, I know that already, but...", not a counter-attack.

After all, there are countless posts here asking for advice that were resolved by a seemingly obvious reply, with the OP slapping himself on the forehead: duh! "Is the kill switch on?" "Kickstand up?" etc.
Yes, we all screw up the obvious sometimes.

And to restate the obvious: raising footpegs may alleviate the problem of boots coming in contact with pavement, if the rider insists on toes-out position. Still, tucking the boots in is just as basic element of cornering technique as shifting your body - or so I thought.

rdwalker screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 08:13 AM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Not quite sure why I'm going to wade into this mess, but here goes...

Yes, there is a right and wrong way to position feet on the pegs. A "toes out" position is wrong. This is not debatable IMHO. Besides the obvious problem of dragging toes, you run the risk of snagging a toe on something, having that foot pulled backward off the peg and being severely injured or crashing. There's no good reason to be riding "toes out", especially (as JustKip pointed out) on a bike with linked brakes. Apologies if expressing my opinion makes me an asshole too, but you're searching for a hardware fix to a skills problem IMO.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,879
'making fun of anyone?' - moi? not at all .....

get your toes higher on the pegs with these bad boys! .....
Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
No, I don't think any one makes higher foot pegs. I have seen weld on pieces that make them wider though. It would be fairly simple to re bend them so you could place them on top of the stock pegs. Make sure to move shifter and brake to account for new height.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
joon1911 OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys,

I do understand the technique of shifting to the balls of the feet for cornering and the potential issues of leaving the arch of the foot on the peg going thru corners. I do also understand that shifting from the balls of the feet to downshift/brake would be ideal in an ideal world. This is the way that I've always ridden in the past. That being said, I've been riding a lot more rural areas in western NY on my commute and have seen way too many deer crossing the road and dead on the side of the road to not question how I've always ridden as status quo.

I get that it may be less-than-ideal technique to keep my feet in postion to downshift or brake at all times, but I'm trying this out because quite honestly I think the less I have to do in a panic situation to be able to slow down as fast as possible is more important to me right now than "proper" technique for cornering. One less mechanic to incorporate in the braking process (moving the feet from ball to arch to allow braking/shifting) in my mind is at least a quarter to half a second of reaction time.

If there's anything I've learned in twenty + years of riding motorcycles, is that I am always learning new things and I hope to always question the habits that I've acquired to become a safer rider.

These deer are nothing more than forest rats as far as I'm concerned, but seeing as they are big enough to kill me at speed, they have me scared shitless. I had one cross the road about 50 yards ahead of me last week that literally came out of nowhere. I am vigilant and scan during my rides and still it caught me off guard.

I admit Kip caught me at a bad moment and I shouldn't have reacted as strongly as I did and I feel bad, but what ever happened to common courtesy? After reading rdwalker's post, I reread Kip's first post and I admit that it would have been more productive to engage in a more positive way, but I still think the his first post was rude in tenor and assumptive. If you are trying to be helpful, be helpful. Don't vomit attitude and vitriol that mask your positive intentions.

And I still have to disagree a little bit here. Riding on the balls of the feet is primarily about attaining better biomechanics, not dragging your toes is a secondary benefit but not the primary reasoning. Using the balls of your feet allow a more solid connection to the bike and allows more feeling to transmit as well as being more efficient for moving your body weight when cornering. Of course you probably already know this, so I'll just shut up now.

For all of you who have offered constructive advice, thank you and I appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Serious answer

It seems unlikely that anybody is making what you're looking for, but that shouldn't be too big an issue if you really want to persue this idea.
Because of where and how they attach, stock foot pegs can't easily be modified to be lower. All the lowered pegs are made with a built-in drop from the attaching point.
Although it won't look like a factory fit, and could even look a little "ghetto" if poorly executed, it would be easy to weld other foot pegs (modified, of course) to the tops of the stockers. This would be done by grinding the serrations off the tops of the stock pegs and cutting and grinding the bottoms off the aftermarket ones. This would allow you to use wider, extending further forward or back for a truely custom fit.

You might also need to replace the shifter and brake pedal with adjustable, but it'll be just the wway you want it...till you lean further with your newfound space and start dragging the pegs.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Am I missing something? When I first read the original post, my first thought was the OP wash't riding on the balls of his feet, thus enabling his toe to come a little too close to the pavement. Good call on the first response. The linked brake comments are correct, and if I had to make a panic stop on a bike without ABS, I would be hard on the fronts first with rear following only if I wasn't scrubbing enough speed. Covering the rear brake isn't a good habit to get into unless riding off road, and only using the rear brake sparingly. Jumping on the rear brake of a non linked bike screams low side, unless you're trying to back it into a corner and exiting hard on the throttle. I've put a lot of miles on several GSs and have never had an issue with scraping my feet or coming close while having very narrow chicken strips showing on the tires. I wear a size 10 1/2 boot, maybe the OP's feet are too big?
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
joon1911 OP
Adventurer

Thanks everyone.

My original intention was to find a mechanical fix to an issue that isn't really an issue. I appreciate the dialog and it seems the consensus is to just use proper technique.

I was raised thinking that there are many ways to skin a cat, thus looking for a hardware choice to accommodate my choice of how to ride. Key word being choice. I recognize I was rejecting current methodology for my own specific reasons. The dialogue brought up here has made me to rethink my stance.

Kip, thanks for your last post. I don't think I want to weld up custom pegs. Sorry I was a douche responding to your first post.

I think this has gotten off the rails and maybe the admins can lock or delete this topic.

Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

My original intention was to find a mechanical fix to an issue that isn't really an issue. I appreciate the dialog and it seems the consensus is to just use proper technique.

I was raised thinking that there are many ways to skin a cat, thus looking for a hardware choice to accommodate my choice of how to ride. Key word being choice. I recognize I was rejecting current methodology for my own specific reasons. The dialogue brought up here has made me to rethink my stance.

Kip, thanks for your last post. I don't think I want to weld up custom pegs. Sorry I was a douche responding to your first post.

I think this has gotten off the rails and maybe the admins can lock or delete this topic.

Thanks again.
I don't know of anyone that likes criticism, but sometimes we hear things we weren't looking to hear, but we hopefully grow from this. Be careful and safe my friend.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
I don't know of anyone that likes criticism, but sometimes we hear things we weren't looking to hear, but we hopefully grow from this. Be careful and safe my friend.

Speaking only for myself, my prior comment was meant constructively so hopefully it was taken that way.

The point about foot position was hammered on quite a bit when I took the Lee Parks Total Control class. Depending on the bike, it's also a very subtle difference between dragging toes and not. Having the ball of your foot on the peg is sometimes not sufficient to keep from dragging toes. Here are a couple of photos of me on my V-Strom (at that time). The first photo is from early in the day. You can see that the ball of my foot is on the peg, but the toe is angled out slightly. I did drag my toe in the drill and Lee picked up on it immediately and spoke to me about it. The second photo is from the afternoon. You can see that the ball of my foot is on the peg, but the whole foot is set far further inward so that the peg feeler would touch first (of course my body position was better by then, so my knee was touching before the peg feelers did which was the point of the class).

Before:

After: