Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #61
dancerdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
i can only tell what i experianced ..sounds like the trouble i had and if they put a different tank on it and it ran that should tell something..the filters crack at the seam... good luck and hope i have helped
Old 10-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #62
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyjr View Post
I maintained a fleet of BMW's for a large police dept. Eighteen bikes. We also had Harleys. The warrenty work went on forever. Day one = one engine replacement+ two transmission replacements. Finally they recalled all of them due to a brake issue. BMW grounded them (do not ride), and came for them with a trailer. When they came back they were the most expensive bikes we ever had. Harleys were not much better. The old KZ Kawasaki was the best.
Yep. I think the Denver area PD's must be experiencing the same thing, or something similar. They dumped their Harleys for BMW's a couple of years ago and a motor-cop recently told me that they're also thinking about getting into a Jap brand soon.

Beemerlover screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 03:38 PM
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #63
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,658
Fuel, Spark, Compression

The 3 basics for an engine to run. The problem I find with todays tech's is that they forget the basics. The first thing they do is hook up the bike/car to a computer and cross their fingers that a direct fault pops up and tell's them what part to replace for a remedy. In this case I think his bike was dumped onto the youngest guy in the tech pool and he was too proud to say he was stumped. Just postulating here.

Hope you get it figured out. I don't know about suing (this ain't the U.S.A.), but you could have a case for small claims court depending on what it says on your bill.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #64
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
That's on hell of an over reach. Lousy dealer, not BMW! I just had 2 expensive parts replaced by a good dealer and BMW.
And yes, my bike is and was out of wty. If your going to throw rocks, work on your aim.

I disagree. Why did he choose to go to this repair shop? Most likely because they were a BMW dealer and certified shop. When I bring my bike to the shop, I bring it to a dealership because I imagined that if there was a big issue, I could speak with BMW about it. BMW may have terrible support and service, but I have to imagine they care about their image.

I would point out to BMW NA that this shop is an extension of them, and makes them look bad. It would be one thing if this shop was just Joe Mechanic in his own garage, but they are a BMW dealership, and therefore must hold themselves to a higher level, or the brand suffers the black mark. Considering this, I know that next time I am looking to buy a new bike, it won't be a BMW, until they clean up their service centers.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #65
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...152727&page=19
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #66
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
That thread is about 1200s. Eric's is an 1150.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #67
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,330
Choosing the BMW repair shop means that the person has a reasonable expectation that his vehicle will be repaired using BMW trained technicians and parts.

Also, look carefully and read the fine print on your repair order or receipt to see what the shop's limits of liability are.

There are laws that govern your recovery. I do not know them. You'll have to do a bit of research (you were in Canada yes?).
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #68
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Choosing the BMW repair shop means that the person has a reasonable expectation that his vehicle will be repaired using BMW trained technicians and parts.

Also, look carefully and read the fine print on your repair order or receipt to see what the shop's limits of liability are.

There are laws that govern your recovery. I do not know them. You'll have to do a bit of research (you were in Canada yes?).

Yes, I was in Canada.

I plan on looking at the bike in the next few weeks. Want to pay this bill off before taking it to another dealer. Will keep you updated. I plan on swapping out the HES sensor and taking a look at the fuel pump/filter and going from there.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #69
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I'm completely confused about why you think you owe this dealer anything. If you haven't paid the bill in full, don't give them any more. If you paid by credit card dispute the charges asap. Not only did they not fix the problem, they didn't even earn a diagnostic fee for telling you what the problem is. You aren't approaching BMW correctly - call them and lodge a complaint against the dealer, of course they aren't going to help with the bill because the bike is out of warranty.
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #70
AUSSIEADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Bummer about the bike,

What's the consumer law about having to pay/not pay for work not completed in Canada?

They'd have a hard time getting the bucks outta my wallet!

Remember, the noisy wheel gets the most grease!
AUSSIEADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #71
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I'm with the new guy

duke944 has made a good point in his very first post.
I would pay for parts but I wouldn't pay them a dime for labor. I'd love to see a training and performance history on the mechanic that worked on your bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I'm completely confused about why you think you owe this dealer anything. If you haven't paid the bill in full, don't give them any more. If you paid by credit card dispute the charges asap. Not only did they not fix the problem, they didn't even earn a diagnostic fee for telling you what the problem is. You aren't approaching BMW correctly - call them and lodge a complaint against the dealer, of course they aren't going to help with the bill because the bike is out of warranty.
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #72
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
I disagree. Why did he choose to go to this repair shop? Most likely because they were a BMW dealer and certified shop. When I bring my bike to the shop, I bring it to a dealership because I imagined that if there was a big issue, I could speak with BMW about it. BMW may have terrible support and service, but I have to imagine they care about their image.

I would point out to BMW NA that this shop is an extension of them, and makes them look bad. It would be one thing if this shop was just Joe Mechanic in his own garage, but they are a BMW dealership, and therefore must hold themselves to a higher level, or the brand suffers the black mark. Considering this, I know that next time I am looking to buy a new bike, it won't be a BMW, until they clean up their service centers.
You do realize that BMW Motorrad Canada and BMWNA are different companies, don't you?

I sympathize with the OP but I think his only recourse is small claims court, which he or his representative must attend in Canada.(New Brunswick)

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 07:35 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #73
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
...small claims court...BobLoblaw
In Canada, jurisdiction over private property matters is vested in the provinces. In this case, the appropriate forum is probably a New Brunswick small claims court, and an action, if brought, would be based on breach of contract. An attorney would probably plead in tort as well, although it would be difficult to prove negligence, unless you could produce an expert witness.

There is consumer legislation in New Brunswick, but I don't know if any of it would apply to a situation like this. Here is a link to the N.B. provincial consumer rights agency:

http://app.infoaa.7700.gnb.ca/gnb/pu...462&DeptID1=45

Unfortunately, in the event of a dispute such as this one, most dealer's won't release the bike unless the bill is paid, and in some provinces they have the right to a possessory lien until payment is made.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #74
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
In this world, people get paid for results - not time spent trying. A certified BMW tech with a diagnostic computer should have no problem figuring out a no start problem. Are the plugs sparking when the engine is turning over? does it have compression? if yes and yes, it's a fuel issue. It just isn't that fucking complicated, this is clear cut incompetance.
If I read the op's last post he still owes part of the bill? for cripes sake don't pay any more. If you paid by check or cash just forget it and move on. If you paid by credit/debit card I almost guarantee a victorious dispute. Say the only reason you paid is because they wouldn't let you have the bike back after an unsuccessful attempt to fix your bike. I've disputed bad service before and won - write up a detailed report with any emails, they will have to prove they earned your money - how could they possibly do that?
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #75
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I am currently disputing the charge with my credit card so we shall go from there. Will keep you guys updated.