User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #91
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Still at shop

It is still at the dealer but not running. They did not start working on it till Saturday or Tuesday. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #92
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
so looking forward to end of this story...I feel bad for you having to post nothing so far but frustration!! I hope it all works out for you.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #93
RoverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
WTF? Is the world's most difficult motorcycle? I've had some really weird problems on aircraft that didn't take this long to troubleshoot.
RoverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #94
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Darn I discovered that thread when it started and now when I saw it again I thought the problem was solved... not at all. For that kind of money you could have shipped it to the Mothership in Munich and let them handle the problem

Best of luck!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #95
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
I don't fill that I pissed off 1500 dollars. Let me explain. The Jeep had a bad vibration that came on at 45mph. We took the front driveshaft off and there was no vibration up to 95mph. We have had 5 different driveshafts in the jeep to no avail. We went through the transfer case all was well in there. We went through the front differential all is well. The yokes at both ends were changed again to no avail. Jeep Wranglers don't have hubs so at all times the axles are turning. When the driveshaft is disconnected the only difference is the transfer cases output shaft is not turning. Between the three of us working on this problem we have 50 years experience. More then 40 hr were spent. These guys worked dam hard to try to solve my problem. I can't just say screw you I'm not paying you for your effort. I don't feel cheated. I don't feel taken advantage off. I feel discouraged and being the reputable shop they are I know they feel the same.
The examples of lawyers and physicians were used to support my argument that service industries don't do as good a job of warrantee their work as manufactures do of warrantee their products. chip

Just read your post if the front driveshaft is removed and you have no vibes it's a bad driveshaft, splines or u joints, since a new shaft didn't help, your front driveshaft angle is off. You need to shim the axle or adjust the control arms.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #96
mpillis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Well said BobbySands

I want to know the outcome of the bike repair.
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
mpillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #97
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

It is FIXED

Well, it appears the guys up in Canada broke the tab on the sensor rotor causing the bike's timing to be off. So good news, it is fixed. Bad news, well damn near 5k to fix it.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #98
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 889
AH, good but expensive news. I am stunned that such a simple thing was not noticed earlier. Was it popping or farting at all while cranking over?
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #99
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebohnet1 View Post
Well, it appears the guys up in Canada broke the tab on the sensor rotor causing the bike's timing to be off. So good news, it is fixed. Bad news, well damn near 5k to fix it.
:f reaky

AMAZING! great news (well except for that 5k...)

Now write a "nice" letter to that dumb dealer who wasn't able to fix it!!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #100
duke944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I'm confused. If the problem was caused by the Canadian dealer how did your bike end up there in the first place? Isn't $5k about what the bike is worth? that seems an enormous amount for any one repair, close to what I'd expect for an engine replacement. How the hell are they arriving at that? how is the cc dispute going?
If the second dealer can somehow prove the first dealer caused the damage the first dealer obviously should pay for this repair. That's a big if.

duke944 screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 10:17 AM
duke944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #101
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

I was on vacation with the bike. Broke in Nova scotia. Dealer tried to fix it. I brought back to US dealer to fix problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #102
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Eric, I'm missing something here. Something was wrong with the bike before it went to the Canadian dealer. Perhaps the tab broke before they got it?

In any event, I would do a number of shake down runs near home before taking it on any long trips.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #103
ebohnet1 OP
Adventurer

My belief is the hall sensor was bad. When they went to replace the sensor they broke the tab. The dealer said it can happen if one is not careful.

I already drove it for an hour and the bike rode smooth.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #104
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
get your local dealer to write a statement to that effect and have it signed by the dealer principal and the head mechanic. in the event that your credit card dispute doesn't go well, this would be a hail mary in small claims court.

they tried to fix your bike, and in one of the first things they did, broke something which they overlooked/missed and then proceeded to inconvenience you monetarily.

such a document could also help with your credit card dispute.

did you call the new brunswick dealer and tell them what their tech did?

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #105
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,428
My 98,000 mile 2000 BMW R1150GS broke down in Wisconsin. With $3000 I traded it in for a 22,000 mile 2004 BMW Rockster 1150, problem solved.

Sorry for your experience....gotta hate chasing a problem that way...I've done it before.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote