Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
dirkdiggler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Port and customs charges Buenos Aries

Hi
My bike is being shipped from England to Argentina in November just wondering if anybody has recently cleared a bike shipment from the port in Buenos Aries and what time and costs were involved for port charges and customs clearance? Many thanks.
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
Hi
My bike is being shipped from England to Argentina in November just wondering if anybody has recently cleared a bike shipment from the port in Buenos Aries and what time and costs were involved for port charges and customs clearance? Many thanks.
I'd suggest contacting Javier or Sandra at Dakar Motos. www.dakarmotos.com
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
dirkdiggler OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I'd suggest contacting Javier or Sandra at Dakar Motos. www.dakarmotos.com
Hi Bananaman yes that was an option we had considered and will probably end up doing as my Spanish is limited. Just trying to keep costs to a minimum but probably my best option. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
XTrovert
chick magnet

Oddometer: 112
Hi Mate you do not need the help of anyone. The process is very simple
You start with the shipping agent, get the papers. You pay with a pound of flesh they will give you a lot of papers.
Then you go to Emba with those papers and your documents and in half day they give you more papers.
Then you go to the depo where your bike is, pay three pounds of flesh, wait about half day and you will have your bike.
Things to keep in mind:
Never time your arrival in Argie for the scheduled arrival time of the ship. Book for a week later.
Sart preparing for the fees. It will cost you roughly USD $500 for the shipping agent and US $1000 for the depo to clear the bike. Yes!
Do not pay anyone to help you. If you need a bit of help I can and for free if I have the time. I cleared an italian's guy bike last April.
If you have not shipped the bike, get a quote from Aerolineas Argentinas via Madrid. They are giving away their cargo space and there are almost no fees for Airfreight clearance.
Failing this try Ro-Ro Wallenius Willhelmsen to Zarate
Believe me, consolidated cargo will cost you an arm and a leg. Think minimum GBP 2000 for the freight, and the papers and clearance. Price of the box and all the transporting from yours to port extra. And to ship it back....well cater for GBP 3000
You have been warned!
Hope this helps
XTrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 975
Ask on Horizons Unlimited and check out the Actual Shippments
by Travelers section for more info.

The charges are pricey.

I'd suggest googling up the Argentine exchange rates.
It appears that if you have dollars you can get 6.1 instead of
the official 4.6 rate.

But if you try to get dollars from an Argentine ATM you will get the
lower rate, so bring them with you.

Check out el dolor Blue for up to date info and how to work the black market.

( thanks Gaston for the heads up )

I should be down there sometime in January.
Keep us up dated on what you experience.

Max
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
dirkdiggler OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrovert View Post
Hi Mate you do not need the help of anyone. The process is very simple
You start with the shipping agent, get the papers. You pay with a pound of flesh they will give you a lot of papers.
Then you go to Emba with those papers and your documents and in half day they give you more papers.
Then you go to the depo where your bike is, pay three pounds of flesh, wait about half day and you will have your bike.
Things to keep in mind:
Never time your arrival in Argie for the scheduled arrival time of the ship. Book for a week later.
Sart preparing for the fees. It will cost you roughly USD $500 for the shipping agent and US $1000 for the depo to clear the bike. Yes!
Do not pay anyone to help you. If you need a bit of help I can and for free if I have the time. I cleared an italian's guy bike last April.
If you have not shipped the bike, get a quote from Aerolineas Argentinas via Madrid. They are giving away their cargo space and there are almost no fees for Airfreight clearance.
Failing this try Ro-Ro Wallenius Willhelmsen to Zarate
Believe me, consolidated cargo will cost you an arm and a leg. Think minimum GBP 2000 for the freight, and the papers and clearance. Price of the box and all the transporting from yours to port extra. And to ship it back....well cater for GBP 3000
You have been warned!
Hope this helps
Hi i think the bikes may have just arrived and i fly out this coming Tuesday. My dad has been in touch with the shippers in Argentina and has had a e-mail with a breakdown of the costs we expect to pay to get the bikes out. It turns out the people the other end have been quite helpful and we now intend clear the bikes from the port ourselves. The breakdown of the charges did not seem to be too bad and if that's what we pay i'll be happy.It's too late now though and whatever we have to pay we pay, the trip should be worth it.
Many thanks for your offer of help and taking your time to reply. I will post a ride report and some more info on what we paid and how the shipping went.

dirkdiggler screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 09:13 PM
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
dirkdiggler OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Ask on Horizons Unlimited and check out the Actual Shippments
by Travelers section for more info.

The charges are pricey.

I'd suggest googling up the Argentine exchange rates.
It appears that if you have dollars you can get 6.1 instead of
the official 4.6 rate.

But if you try to get dollars from an Argentine ATM you will get the
lower rate, so bring them with you.

Check out el dolor Blue for up to date info and how to work the black market.

( thanks Gaston for the heads up )

I should be down there sometime in January.
Keep us up dated on what you experience.

Max
Hi Max
Great thanks for the advice on the dollars i have just ordered some with my bank i'm guessing i can use us dollars pretty much anywhere. I'll be visiting Argentina,Bolivia and Chile. I did look on Horizons unlimited and got a mix of reports of what people had paid in shipping costs. It seemed like pot luck with some reports of minimal fees with other reports of horrendous ones. Time will tell.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
XTrovert
chick magnet

Oddometer: 112
Hi I am sending you my phone number by PM
The information about the dual exchange rate is correct.
Dollar is the currency here. If you intend to use CC to pay your travels then you will loose 30% due to the difference between the official rate and the black market - or blue.
Bests
XTrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
GastonUSAChile
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrovert View Post
Hi I am sending you my phone number by PM
The information about the dual exchange rate is correct.
Dollar is the currency here. If you intend to use CC to pay your travels then you will loose 30% due to the difference between the official rate and the black market - or blue.
Bests
Yes, the Argentinian black or blue market is going on. Always change small amount of cash at restaurants or decent stores. Know first the daily change (Black one) and proceed. Be discrete because it is 'ilegal' but common changing on a black market. Peru dones not have black market instead because the economy is healthy.

If you are in Peru, always do the transaction outside of any bank. Changers carry a batch , so its allowed . They will give you a little better than the bank. This is a common procedure and no risk at all.

US SHIPPING Now open: APRIL 2014 Container SANTIAGO CHILE to LOS ANGELES
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741582
GastonUSAChile is offline   Reply With Quote