Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
cantweallridealong OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Brake Disk Help Needed... PLS

Hi All

i am currently on the road..in Brazil to be exact and have come to the point where i have to change out my front brake disks..

now i have already managed to get a set of EBC disks down here and can remove the existing disk from the Wheel hub.. my problem is, in my original BMW disk there are little Bobbin things and spacers where the mounting screws would go..

on my EBC disk there are none. and the bolts simply would not stay in place if i were to mound it without them...

i have tried to see if i could use the existing bobbins and spacers from the disk but they are pressed on and i would most likely damage the parts trying to get them off...

is this a BMW part that maybe i can find in a dealer down here..???

is there another EBC Part that i am missing...???

am i completely screwed having paid for the disks somewhere near Colombia and not going to be anywhere back there soon..???

any wisdom or info would be great

thanks all

James
cantweallridealong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,801
BMW changed the rotors and mounting sometime around 2008 (?). The original mounting was with bolts, wave washers and machined spacers. The new mounts used the rotors with pressed in bobbins and different bolts.

To use the early style rotors (EBC) you can try and find early mounting hardware (wave washers and bolts) at a dealer. It is not listed in the parts, even for early bikes. Maybe a mechanic has some lying around in back as the replacement rotor from BM is the new style. You might also try parts for an HP2. Seems BMW has not listed as many of the 12GS superseded parts for that bike so old style hardware is still listed in the parts catalog. The HP2 had different forks and tighter fork t rotor clearance so they may still be available.

Galfer supplies a hardware kit with their replacement rotors. I don't know if it is available separate but that would also work. Maybe BC has a kit also?

Also could try Beemer Boneyard. BMW used the same brake disks on a large number of bikes so don't limit your search to just a GS. Good luck