User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
mfredrik OP
Riding this weekend?

Oddometer: 24
Round Britain Trail Ride 2013

Well Patrick let the cat out the bag in the "Long day in the Saddle" thread.

This is perhaps a dumb idea but here goes...

Summary

7 days, 7 teams, 7 start points, 7 end points, 7 base camps, 7 x 200miles = 1,400 miles .

...and a cheeky name given the proposed route (see below).

Each team will plan a route taking riders around their segment of the UK, as well as setting up a base camp facility and logistics support in their locale to be used by all the teams as they work their way round. The routes will be shared as .gpx files.

All on the old green lanes and by ways of Great Britain.

In the name of the TRF (tbc) to gain publicity for it by a Press Release or two, and to raise money for the Air Ambulance.

When

13th July – 20th July 2013 (tbc), this can be jiggled around to accommodate the core organisers.

Who

Well I guess its my idea so I have to pull it all together and be the central point of contact, set up some web pages and shared docs, do the PR etc. But there are of course 7 team leaders needed. I’ll be a team leader for Berks, Hants, Oxon, Wilts if needed – but there are probably better men than me. By necessity these will need to be based in or near their regions.

Teams

I am thinking teams of 8 riders + a ground logistics person or persons per team that stays at home but can help line up any spares or other help needed (so not a full time role, this person could be a dealer or someone working that week). Riding teams will have a Lead Navigator and Back Up Navigator, both having the tools to take care of navigation (ie Garmin or Sat Map and knowing how to use ‘em). The leaders will also take responsibility for tasks in the set-up of the event (his base camp, team list, payments etc).

Each team keeps 2 places free for overseas / guest riders. I’d love to see the core team being invited to the equivalent French / Italian / etc event in the future....So we’d need to put the word out on Adv Rider. Any guest slots not taken 3 weeks before the event will be released for additional local riders.

Base Camps

Originally I thought camp sites at a pub with 8 x single tents. Riders just bring sleeping bag liners. Hot food and showers are must haves. Then I thought YHA – anyone tried anything similar with them?

Bikes

I cant be arsed to map big bike friendly routes so just single cylinder trail bikes. Big bikes might slow proceedings down unreasonably.

Costs

Well this has to be the ride of your dreams, or why bother doing it. £5/day for air ambulance seems fair, plus campsite/hostels, plus a nice embroidered Polo shirt. About £200 (tbc). I am thinking we set an expectation that each rider raises a minimum of £50 for local charities within each of the 7 regions to help with PR – this could be included in a higher entry fee but refundable on successful sponsorship. Or is this making it all too convoluted?

Next Steps

Do you fancy it? Has it been done before? Is it inherently flawed?

Most important thing is finding the right 7 Team Leaders, and in the right locales – anyone offering themselves up for it?

Then I guess we should gauge demand, are there really 60+ people up for this?

Looking to the Future

A 2 week full tour of the UK for 2014....

Overseas tours....

PR Opportunity

I'd like to think we can use PR from this to the TRFs advantage We can invite a few press people along – TBR Chris Moss, Chippy Wood from Bike plus a couple of others are worth inviting I am sure.

All the TRF regions we pass thru can do a Press Release to local press and use the Air Ambulance money to generate good publicity, but local sponsorship within the teams to support local causes would be even better.

Where

Sadly not all the UK, not in a week and 1400 miles, and it will flex depending who signs up for this as Leaders. But roughly...

RBTR Simple Map by mfredriksen, on Flickr

Its only this shape as I doubt there is great laning to be had if we go out East more, but I don’t know that as a fact. It’s totally fluid at this stage.

What's the Next Step

Well its finding Leaders in the right locations, then of course validating that there are enough people that are actually daft enough to want to do it. Don't clutter the thread with replies, just send me a PM to let me know if you are interested, especially if you are interested to be a Leader - let me know your location too, of course,

So, lets see if we can make this happen. I reckon we'll all do a few lanes we wouldn't ride otherwise, and have some craic along the way.

Cheers, Mike F
mfredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 221
No offence Mike, but calling it Round Britain Trail Ride must be a piss take, it looks more like Wales with a bit of England thrown in

2011 KTM 690 - Devon TRF
Harty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
mfredrik OP
Riding this weekend?

No offence taken, I did say in the opening gambit it was a cheeky name given the proposed route.

Yours is a bit of a long title tho'.

If the format works it would be great to see it extended to cover more of GB in 2014.

As it stands are you in a jaunt round Wales and a bit of South West England?

M

Sent from my A1_07 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
mfredrik OP
Riding this weekend?

Some clarification

Question

"Each team will plan a route taking riders around their segment"
If I'm hosting 6 x other teams, showing them around my patch how do I get time to do the other regions?

Answer

Each team plans a route through their sement, the route is then made into a sat nav file, each team has all maps, teams navigate themselves.

On any one day, each sement is being ridden by by a different team, each team works it way round the 1400 mile course segment by segment.

You don’t lead each of the 7 teams through your segment yourself.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Zen Overland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I'm interested

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me. Insurance might be a bit of a pain, but apart from that it sounds superb.

I'm interested in being part of it. I know lots of lanes around our area (Bristol/Bath), I've got hundreds of lanes mapped already.

I'm run an off road parts business, which could be useful. I've also hosted a few bike rallies in our local area, with 70-220 participants. I know a few local bike friendly camp sites.

I could also publicise from our website, and circulate emails round the local trail riders I know.

Just let me know where we go from here!

MEFO tyres - Andy Strapz - Rigid Industries LED - Black Dog Cycle Works - Kriega
Zen Overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #6
mfredrik OP
Riding this weekend?

Thanks for all the replies.

So far interest has been distinctly "Southern" and given my proposed route hardly surprising.

Does anyone fancy picking up the mantle and setting up a separate Northern biased 7 day ride? I ask just one thing - do it on different dates so I can ride!

Judging by the initial interest I reckon we can do this.

Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
GFJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Well, this certainly sounds interesting. Will check to see if I have any chance of getting the time off.

Having just come back from 3 days doing similar around North & Mid Wales, we averaged 150miles a day and half of that was tarmac. Admittedly we were carrying full camping gear, but it was enough. Including running repairs, lunch stops etc, we were out for about 9.5hrs each day. 200 miles could be hard going, especially if all on trails.

Having ready pitched tents would certainly shave off some time each day.

Is intriging though

Gareth
GFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
obee404
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ride 2013

Hi,

I am definitely interested in your proposed ride but since I am based up in Lancashire I am unable to lead in the areas suggested. Please put me on your list

regards

Ian
obee404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,084
Of course I'm keen, and have enough knowledge to cover two days of trails on the track shown on the map.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
mfredrik OP
Riding this weekend?

Nice one Timpo, pleased you're on board. Will see you in a couple of w/e's time with the Oxford TRF so lets make some loose plans then...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredrik View Post
Nice one Timpo, pleased you're on board. Will see you in a couple of w/e's time with the Oxford TRF so lets make some loose plans then...
Sure.....
Old 02-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 221
Anymore news on this plan of yours Mike ?

2011 KTM 690 - Devon TRF
Harty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #13
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Overland View Post
Insurance might be a bit of a pain.....
Insurance? The Road Traffic Act dictates the insurance requirements to use a trail bike byways or UCR,it's not a pain but a statuary requirement, third party as a minimum.

I'm sure you don't mean insurance to cover individuals attending.....? What do you need that for as this is neither a race event nor ride organised for profitable gain, so no different from a rider attending say a TRF organised trail ride.
In fact I have already suggested that all riders wanting to join the ride should be members of the Trail Rider's Fellowship.

If a rider thinks he/she needs further coverage by insurance companies, then go buy it..... simples! (Did you see what i did there).

Timpo.

Timpo screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 04:20 AM
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
Zen Overland
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
"....so no different from a rider attending say a TRF organised trail ride..."

My only point being that the TRF does have a blanket insurance policy that covers its members (and probably potential members, taking part on their first ride out) for group trail rides.
I've organised a few bike meets for Horizons Unlimited with 200-300 riders, and they (HU, Grant & Susan) are extremely hesitant to allow trail ride outs for this very reason.
Recently they're pretty much said no off road rides, unless they're managed entirely by the local TRF group.

I'm not trying to piss on your fireworks, just making you aware of the obstacles I've come across in the past.

Worst case scenario, one of the riders breaks his back or is killed. His spouse finds out he was on an organised off-road ride, and fancies taking someone to court to help cover the hundreds of thousands of pounds lost earnings, bereavement etc

MEFO tyres - Andy Strapz - Rigid Industries LED - Black Dog Cycle Works - Kriega
Zen Overland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 527
Why do you think that a free ride on legal roads needs extra insurance? It's not off-road! Nothing 'official', no 3rd party organisation involved, no profit being made,, no private land being used. Optional fund-raising may happen. Following the bloke in front does not make him liable for your fortunes . Perhaps you'd like to point out the case law that says otherwise?
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote