User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
blues OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Thumper Helmets?

This is an equipment question but its so oriented to off road adventuring I though I'd try it here SVP. My Quantum is way too hot for off road so of course I'm looking for a new helmet. The DS helmets ( ie the XD ) seemed like the logical answer but I noticed all the Dakar riders wear MX style with goggles. Any of you desert racers care to comment? I also wear glasses.
TIA
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
In my opinion, goggles are better for offroad where you want the extra ventilation. The faceshield is better onroad because it's more comfortable and keeps bugs out of your helmet. I have an XD for dual sport riding and it's great for that, and I wear a traditional motocross helmet for dirt-only adventures. You can also wear glasses with the XD and the visor up or down depending on the riding conditions.

I've heard some people talk about removing the visor for riding at freeway speeds, but I think that's nonsense. The rally and desert racers wear visors and ride all day at 100+. And it's never been a problem for me with my XD at freeway speeds on a bike with a small fairing (640ADV) or no fairing (625SMC).
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

Oddometer: 820
My RF900 almost cooked me riding trails in 80 and humid.

I can't wait for a plain old MX helmet, it was a pleasure wearing one out in the desert recently. I'll likely get more wear out of it than my Shoei for the summer season.

The only drawback I found was noise level, will definitely use earplugs religiously with the MX helmet setup.

I was up around 65mph on pavement with the dirt helmet and it drags more when I turned my head than my Shoei, but it was no big deal at all IMO.

Got a Kilimanjaro Air coming and the moto helmet is next, finally I can enjoy riding in temps over 75F. I hated the summer for riding.
Kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Try this from Simpson:

Arai XD style at half the price. I like mine, not a bad hat...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
kdxkawboy
Mr. NVKLRGirl

Oddometer: 2,631
I like my XD for DS type riding. While googles will work on the street, it sure is a lot nicer to have the DOT approved face shield. I haven't found the visor to be any problem on the road, it lets enough air vent from under the visro to combat buffeting. However it has it's down side in the rain as the channel the rain onto the visor. So I carry some duct tape to prep my helemt when I run into serious rain.

The Simpson provides an alternative. For fit, comfort and noise levels I've founf the XD to be worth the price compared to other helmets I've worn.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #6
dirtyboy
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
That Simpson is a good lookin' lid. But I wonder how well that narrow visor works to block the sun? One potential improvement over the Arai is the smooth radius on the faceshield, the XD has a sharp bend in the center which causes some distortion when it's not all the way down and it gets real wierd if I'm wearing polarized glasses. It's nice to know there are some other options.
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,726
For True

DS'ing, XD, of course in my OO (own opinion).
Old 06-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,213
Is that Simpson available in the US? (I did a google on Simpson helmets and couldn't find that one) If so, where? What is the model name/number?

SRG
Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
love my xd. it's the shiznit.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
I have the XD, and for combined street dirt riding I really like it, I use it for rides /tours where I'm going to be riding hundreds of miles of pavement, and then riding offroad where I need to wear goggles. That said be aware on some bikes the XD can be really noisey, and drive you made if the airflow off the fairing is "dirty air" the 950 ADV being one of the worst in this regard. This can be fixed, but it adds another item to the to do list of a new 950 owner.

I would prefer to be able to have a lower cost dedicated dirt helmet, and use my existing street helmet as conditions dictate, but when you need one helmet that will work, the XC is my choice. Pretty expensive for something that is going to get beaten up as well.

I would suggest Scott OTG (over the glasses) goggles, had good luck with mine.

I should have some good feedback to post in a week or two, as I will be wearing my XD with the peak removed when myself and a buddy blitz through France in the next few days. I really debated using the XD for this trip, as I have serious concerns it will drive me nuts if not deaf during the highspeed sections, but we will be riding some single track in expected hot weather up in the Pyrennes, and I couldn't imagine being anything but miserable wearing my street helmet for the latter. Still I may very much regret bringing the XD, I certainly would not have brought it if I was going to be riding a 950.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG
Is that Simpson available in the US? (I did a google on Simpson helmets and couldn't find that one)
Odd ... first link with google, browsed and found it here

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/p...8&prod_id=4137

and it's close cousin

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/p...7&prod_id=2457
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 AM   #12
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG
Is that Simpson available in the US? (I did a google on Simpson helmets and couldn't find that one) If so, where? What is the model name/number?

SRG
I purchased my Simpson GS3-MX directly from the factory, over the phone. They then add the visor to your order at their US facility in Texas and ship it direct.

CC
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 AM   #13
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,213
Ah Ha - The shield is an add on to their GS3 MX helmet. So, anyone can anyone suggest the best source to purchase Simpson stuff?

SRG
Old 06-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #14
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Do like I did, buy it direct from Simpson. They are inexpensive enough not to bother with alot of shopping around and the factory guys were a pleasure to deal with. Had it in hand in 10 days after the order was placed....
Old 06-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #15
wax808
Internet Artiste

Oddometer: 4,676
Yeah the simpson looks cool. The only problem I see with it is the gap at the top of the shiled, that would suck in the rain.

I just got an XD. But I was seriously considering getting what I thought was the most bad-ass looking of the whole bunch. Tought to find here int eh states since it is a British product.

The Airoh Tyger:

"And you still can hear me talkin' to the people who don't listen to the things that I am sayin' praying someone's gonna hear.
I guess I'll die explainin' that the things that they complain about are things they could be changin' thinkin' someone's gonna care.
I was born a lonely singer, and I guess I'll die the same, but I've got to feed the hunger in my soul.
And if I never have a nickel I won't ever die ashamed, cause the truth remains that no-one wants to know

-KK"

wax808 is offline   Reply With Quote