Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #61
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post
Thanks.

Really odd about the GS Traction control? - my 2012 GSA is fine (the ABS is far more intrusive)...I know this is a bit off-topic but what gives with the new BMW TC??
I'm curious to know as well....on pavement I never experienced an issue.

RightCross, Pro Italia also carries the Triumph and Guzzi line for test riding purposes.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #62
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post

RightCross, Pro Italia also carries the Triumph and Guzzi line for test riding purposes.
Thanks I will give them a call and schedule a test ride. Likely gonna drive down next weekend.
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #63
RightCross101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Honestly I am no regular gs rider. I had a 650 sometime ago. It just felt really odd, when in tight cornering it felt like it was "engaging" and then the front end felt like it wanted to wander, the movements were kinda abrupt. I messed with the esa settings a lot and by turning off traction control it then was smoother.

But it was not confidence inspiring at all. Otherwise the bike felt great, just a lot bigger than the explorer, felt kinda like a tractor.

Maybe I was just on a crappy demo bike.
RightCross101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #64
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Well ok I'm not going to review the bike (best left to the experts), but I will give some first impressions:

THE GOOD

LED running lights seem to be the "new black" on just about any bike coming out of Europe, Ducati is no different. They look kinda kewl.

Especially when the headlights are both LED as well (which consume a lot less battery charge)

....meaning the (halogen) high-beams can now work together with low beam; greater illumination without getting a dead battery!

The new screen is now higher and wider at the top. Almost as effective as that giant screen on my BMW GSA. Best thing is the "pinch-n-shift" handle; allows the screen to be moved whilst riding. Works perfectly for me in the lowest setting, and surprisingly when I move it to the highest position it all but stops the wind on my head, but changes to allow some side draft to cool my torso.....great in our hot-weather highway riding. (Not sure if this would be the same for tall riders though) -

THE BAD

New seat stitching looks very posh, but those hard edges really dig into your thighs. Will either swap this for a comfort seat, or see if the older original curvier MTS seats still fit

Also the gearbox is way more clunky than any of my other Ducatis...weird??!! I can actually feel a "pulsing" through the clutch lever every time I change gear; it's really distracting. Does anyone have a take on this?? Changing lever span position doesn't do much to change this.

THE UGLY

For all the changes they've made on this bike (and there are lots) you're still stuck with that infernal centre-stand that catches your heel if you want to ride sport-style (on the balls of your feet)......it's not like there wasn't a gujjilion complaints about this on the first model.

Normal foot position

"on the ball" foot position

And there is the most irritating buzzing/rattling at about 3500-4000 rpm. It sounds like all the plastics are about to fall off. As best as i can make out I'm 99% sure it's coming from the retainer springs that lock the windscreen position. Hopefully it's an easy fix by just using a thicker rubber tube around the spring -

That is all.......for now.....
dewog

deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #65
N9921X
Wins

Oddometer: 144
Fuel spec

Does the new multistrada 1200 run on 87 octane?
Or does it need 91 like my triumph tiger.
Thinking of swapping.
N9921X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #66
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Need to check the owner's manual (I've not had to fill up yet) but the technical Guy at the Ducati dealership told me it's rated to use the expensive 98 RON, though 95 RON is ok if the uber-premium is unavailable .

NB: 98 RON = 89-90 MON or 93-94 AKI
95 RON = 85-86MON or 90-91 AKI

Sory but in Aus we use research octane number ratings not motor octane numbers or anti-knock Index
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #67
Stromtrooper246
Lost again

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Went away as in "unswelled?" This would be a (minor) miracle!
Yep, for my bike it did. A 2002 Guzzi V-11. The swelling happened to the prior owner and I had seen it happen at the time. He was the second owner of the bike and MG would not warranty the tank. The tank developed a bulge on one side and he actually ordered a new tank. Someone from the V-11 forum gave him the tip on Stabil and the bulge went away. That new tank is still sitting in his garage in bubble wrap.
13 Tiger 800
02 Guzzi V11 Tenni *T105*
Stromtrooper246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #68
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper246 View Post
Yep, for my bike it did. A 2002 Guzzi V-11. The swelling happened to the prior owner and I had seen it happen at the time. He was the second owner of the bike and MG would not warranty the tank. The tank developed a bulge on one side and he actually ordered a new tank. Someone from the V-11 forum gave him the tip on Stabil and the bulge went away. That new tank is still sitting in his garage in bubble wrap.
Useful, thanks!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #69
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Well, I tested the 2013 Multi yesterday (S model). I have been obsessing about this bike for a very long time, but was never willing to test it before I had the money to buy one.

Overall it lived up to the high standards I expected. Amazingly light steering, feels very stable and easy to control at lower speeds (unlike my old Vstrom). Comfortable. Enough power . I have to say I was a little concerned about how it would handle slow speed and constant low throttle work (I commute, so this is important to me), but I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the character of the motor (feels like I am on a bike, unlike my current Bandit), although it could benefit from an aftermarket pipe to make a bit more noise.

There was only one thing that was absolutely CRAP, and that is that excuse of a screen. I am 6 foot tall, and the buffeting (no matter what setting) and wind noise was terrible. It was almost as bad as the standard screen on my old VStrom. Having said that, having had the Wee experience, I know it can be fixed.

So, I am hoping to hear back from the dealer with a trade in price for my GSX1250FA, and if they get to my magic number I will have one in the garage by next week-end
Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #70
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellies View Post
Well, I tested the 2013 Multi yesterday (S model). I have been obsessing about this bike for a very long time, but was never willing to test it before I had the money to buy one.

Overall it lived up to the high standards I expected. Amazingly light steering, feels very stable and easy to control at lower speeds (unlike my old Vstrom). Comfortable. Enough power . I have to say I was a little concerned about how it would handle slow speed and constant low throttle work (I commute, so this is important to me), but I was pleasantly surprised. I really liked the character of the motor (feels like I am on a bike, unlike my current Bandit), although it could benefit from an aftermarket pipe to make a bit more noise.

There was only one thing that was absolutely CRAP, and that is that excuse of a screen. I am 6 foot tall, and the buffeting (no matter what setting) and wind noise was terrible. It was almost as bad as the standard screen on my old VStrom. Having said that, having had the Wee experience, I know it can be fixed.

So, I am hoping to hear back from the dealer with a trade in price for my GSX1250FA, and if they get to my magic number I will have one in the garage by next week-end
Congrats! I can't remember who posted the saying first...however it is very true..."do not test ride this bike if you do not have the money to buy it".

Remember this however...it's only true when you post the picture!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #71
vellies
Adventurer

Signed for the new Standard Multi tonight, picking it up on Saturday

Waited all day for the dealer where I tested the bike to call me back with a change-over price........I am still waiting. So I drove to the other dealer in town, who did not have a demo, but who I knew had a base model on the floor waiting for me, and after the usual salesman bullshit and negotiation got to the chaange-over price I wanted. I am absolutely WRAPPED. How the hell am I meant to sleep for the rest of the week.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #72
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,295
Congrats on that acquisition. How is it that Perth has two Ducati dealers; I didn't know it was that large of a city. Pics when you get the chance please.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #73
EvilGilligan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I do use the different modes, usually to give myself a horsepower time out because 150 hp in a light nimble chassis just begs to be tugged constantly and my self control is very very poor.
THIS is why I bought a 2013 Multistrada.
I can't bet trusted with any kind of sport bike...hell, during a test drive of a 2011 Sprint GT I damn near scrubbed the pegs off the think in the 'burbs of Seattle! I use the Urban mode to be less of a dick, and the upright seating doesn't cause the broken old bones much pain.

Downside: I wasn't really a wheelie guy before, and now ....

In short- love this fookin' bike. Can't believe how much fun I'm having again.
EvilGilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #74
vellies
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Congrats on that acquisition. How is it that Perth has two Ducati dealers; I didn't know it was that large of a city. Pics when you get the chance please.
We have a population of 1.8 million and increasing every day, and a lot of people with mining $, so can sustain multiple dealers. Thank heavens for that, because if the first one I went to was the only dealer I would have bought a different bike.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #75
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGilligan View Post
Can't believe how much fun I'm having again.
I've been riding for 18 years now. My relationship with motorcycling has changed over those years. Finding different ways to enjoy it and keeping it fresh. Multistrada has put a great big smile on my face. It's exciting again!

tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote