Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #121
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post
Changes from the 2012 to the 2013 model include -

- Skyhook (DSS) semi-active suspension on all S models (replaces electronic, but 'conventional', Ohlins units)
- Twin-sparks on each cylinder (more efficient burn and better low-revs fuelling, ie- "less lumpy" at low rpm)
- repositioned throttle injectors for improved (cooler) intake flow.
- taller, wider windscreen (biggest improvemnet , .....after Skyhook)
- slightly altered front cowl, new LED headlights (give a whiter, brighter light) also means lower current drain and that both headlights can now run concurrently with high beam (conventional halogen)
- the small cockpit storage is now "push-to-click" for open and close rather than the previously useless flimsy tab.
- new seat stitching (which has 'squared' edges and not as comfortable as the previous seat design)
- different rim style (10-spoke)
- ABS-equipped version now have linked front and rear brakes in 'Touring' and 'Urban' ride modes. (the front lever will bring on the rear brake)
- altered ride modes (eg: 'Enduro' switches off the ABS on the rear only)
I appreciate this info more than you know. Can I assume the difference in the 2010 through the 2012 are minimal? The stealer has a nice 2010, but since it was the first year for the 1200, I am concerned about those first year blues.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #122
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropinParts View Post
I appreciate this info more than you know. Can I assume the difference in the 2010 through the 2012 are minimal? The stealer has a nice 2010, but since it was the first year for the 1200, I am concerned about those first year blues.
Correct, there's no real difference between 2010 and 2012 in terms of features, and all the bugs addressed in production on 2011 and 2012 models were also addressed (for the most part) under warranty on the 2010. Just make sure all the warranty stuff has been done already.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #123
DropinParts
Ducatista

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Correct, there's no real difference between 2010 and 2012 in terms of features, and all the bugs addressed in production on 2011 and 2012 models were also addressed (for the most part) under warranty on the 2010. Just make sure all the warranty stuff has been done already.
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #124
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Here's mine...great so far

http://lowside343964.smugmug.com/Mot...20L-Side-L.jpg

http://lowside343964.smugmug.com/Mot...20R-Side-L.jpg

http://lowside343964.smugmug.com/Mot...S%20Dash-L.jpg

http://lowside343964.smugmug.com/Mot...%20front-L.jpg

Flightar screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 04:48 PM
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #125
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Can someone update me on the latest on the issue with the coolant and the porous head problem. Are cylinder heads being replaced? Has the revised coolant solved the problem? I don't really know much about this, just heard some brief info about it and wanted to get better informed before considering a purchase. Thanks.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #126
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Can someone update me on the latest on the issue with the coolant and the porous head problem. Are cylinder heads being replaced? Has the revised coolant solved the problem? I don't really know much about this, just heard some brief info about it and wanted to get better informed before considering a purchase. Thanks.
Just had my coolant changed, 2011 year and original owner. 9000 miles on the clock with the blue coolant and no issues. I think it was a few bad batches but nothing that Ducati will tell us just a lot of speculation. It seemed to be a big headache for the ones affected by it and I would worry about long term effects if I had cylinders, heads or a radiator replaced.
joef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #127
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
EJ,

Definitely worth consideration if you're contemplating a used one, especially of the 2010-2011 vintage (there is a VIN range I believe of effected bikes). The newer and lesser the miles the better. A new bike I would not worry about whatsoever.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #128
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Can someone update me on the latest on the issue with the coolant and the porous head problem.

What's up, EJ? I had gained the impression you were jonesing pretty hard for a new waterboxer.

It appears Ducati has sorted out a lot of things with the 2013 version. The coolant thing looked like it was a bit of a lottery, but there have been several reports on various fora of both cylinder heads being replaced as a result of it.

AFAIK, no-one has reported that their cylinder head failed out of warranty and Ducati failed to make good on it. And if it had happened, you'd expect the disgruntled owner would get the news onto the net somehow.

OTOH, some reports of bikes spending weeks or months in the shop awaiting parts and labour. Thus much gnashing of teeth. But all those were eventually reported fixed.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #129
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
What's up, EJ? I had gained the impression you were jonesing pretty hard for a new waterboxer.
I was...still am I guess, but enthusiasm is waning a little bit. Not sure I want to be a beta tester. On a whim, test rode a K16 and was impressed with that and have always liked the Multistrada although I have yet to demo one. Nothing wrong with my camhead GS but started getting new bike fever when the first bits of info trickled out on the new water boxer and I can't shake it I'm intrigued by the multi because you universally hear people say they LOVE the bike, whereas with the GS you often get comments like...it's a good all around bike and does everything well, etc...but you don't necessarily get the love in capital letters....so perhaps I need to take a ride and see.

Thanks for the info on the cylinder heads.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #130
Vicsplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
So, I'm debating picking one of these up. Just trying to debate saving the extra coin to the S version or just grabbing the standard version now.

Tough decision.....
Vicsplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #131
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Easy: S.
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #132
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicsplorer View Post
So, I'm debating picking one of these up. Just trying to debate saving the extra coin to the S version or just grabbing the standard version now.

Tough decision.....
If you want the panniers, heated grips and center stand, the suspension is pretty much along for the ride with a small premium paid for it. Or vice versa; buy the suspension and get the other stuff for free. Plus or minus.

A wag will come along shortly and explain how you can get soft bags, 30 dollar Chinese grips and that the center stand is a PITA, but there's really only one way to get the suspension if that turns your crank.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #133
slopaleorider
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Get the S

I had a standard ABS 2010 and it was a great bike, went in looking for an S but the price was right so I took the left over 2010 for about a $7k savings and Ducati gave me a free set of side bags, due to some reasons I can't discuss here I no longer have the 2010 and have a 2013 on order, this time I went with the S due to it only being about a $3k difference in price, the extra equipment on the S is worth the money. I would also suggest that you stay away from the early bikes, they have some issues that ducati could never get sorted out on mine. Needless to say I love the bike and am buying another because it is an awesome bike, just keep in mind it is not an offload machine. Jeff
slopaleorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #134
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopaleorider View Post
I would also suggest that you stay away from the early bikes, they have some issues that ducati could never get sorted out on mine. Needless to say I love the bike and am buying another because it is an awesome bike, just keep in mind it is not an offload machine. Jeff
2011 S model still going trouble free and strong. I ride, no worries
joef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:13 AM   #135
Vicsplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Dealer has offered a 2012 standard at a price that is honestly pretty hard to pass up (will end up costing about the same, a grand or two more than the Tiger Sport)...

I'm not overly fussed re the bags or the suspension to be honest, I just like the bikes for the room (I;m a tall guy) and the engine.
Vicsplorer is offline   Reply With Quote