Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,741
I did on my 4S and iPad 3. The panoramic photo option on the 4S is interesting. Maps is working well for me. The satellite view is okay but it would be nice if the distortion could be removed. Even so, there seems to be more detail than the google version. I like the nav so far.

If you want google maps, you can put a link from the website on the screen like an app. I'm suspicious of the Facebook integration. I did some research and it looks like enabling it may allow access to your contact list which makes a mess. It appears this can be turned off in the preferences. Oh yeah, if you aren't paying attention, because of the integration you could wind up sending a photo or text to Facebook instead of the desired recipient. Some actress accidentally sent a tit shot to her twitter feed instead of her fiancé.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
I have the 4, and I still have not seen the 6 on mine yet. It is weird. I plugged it in on Friday, and it said my phone was up to date.

If you have to have the 4S to get the cool updates, when mine does show it is able to update, I will probably just leave it how it is.
I didn't see a message for the new update either on my iPhone 4. So I went to Settings and when I looked at the Software Update, it stated that I needed 2.5 gig of free space. I had 1.1 available, so it wouldn't let me update until I cleared enough off of my phone. After that, no issues with iOS6.

http://winginit.smugmug.com/
Tilt2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
koncha

Oddometer: 10,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtrvlr View Post
I must be the unlucky one. I updated my iPhone4. it took 2 1/2 hrs. I rely on google maps big time for work. app maps sucks. first address i put in it fri wanted me to go 38 miles north of where the actual address was. 2nd address was closer but still wrong.
I put my address in and it shows a tree that was cut down in 1998.
my battery like is about 1/2 what it was.
my love for the iPhone has dropped considerably
Like any upgrade for anything, you might want to do a hard reset after you upgrade. Instructions here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone

Map accuracy is really bad. My sat view is showing the previous owners's rv in the drive. We've lived here for over 4 years.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt2turn View Post
I didn't see a message for the new update either on my iPhone 4. So I went to Settings and when I looked at the Software Update, it stated that I needed 2.5 gig of free space. I had 1.1 available, so it wouldn't let me update until I cleared enough off of my phone. After that, no issues with iOS6.
That is probably my problem as well. I don't have that much free space. 2.5 gig of space for an update.
liquidsmile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
MrBob OP
Feelin Groovy

Oddometer: 6,925
Have people been backing up their phones, to the Cloud or otherwise, before uploading the new OS?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Have people been backing up their phones, to the Cloud or otherwise, before uploading the new OS?
i just back up to my computer.

but definitely back up to something.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #22
Daz-o-matic
HOT POOP

Oddometer: 339
Installed it on my 3GS... two days before my 5 arrived at my door.

Ever so slightly faster (on the 3GS), panorama photo is neat, maps are faster but need more info. The Do Not Disturb function is interesting, but as I'm already in the habit of putting my phone on vibrate and setting it face down on my night table before going to sleep, I find it not necessary for me.

On the 5, everything is blazing fast and smooth as one would expect. Unless you need the Google maps, do the upgrade.
Daz-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
MrBob OP
Feelin Groovy

Oddometer: 6,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
I upgraded my iPhone 4S the other day to iOS6.

I haven't been able to check my email since upgrading, via Verizons network, or WiFi.. and surfing the web is pretty difficult as well.

Sent from my MacBook Pro using hunt and peck via WiFi since my iPhone 4S cannot access the interweb any longer.....
http://www.zdnet.com/what-went-wrong...fi-7000004598/
Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
Did it Wednesday. I used Passbook for my boarding pass on a United flight Thursday.
I was wondering how the TSA guy who looks at the boarding pass before you go through the metal detector deals with this? They don't fill me with confidence, and seem like they would over-react when faced with something new.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,222
I did my phone and iPad. The iPad seems to be an improvement in resolution (maybe I'm imagining it). I also subscribed to iCloud for my music hosting and I'm very impressed so far. It's $25 a year but I can stream my tunes/podcasts/videos to any enabled device. I like that feature.

The Facebook integration is a concern as I don't do Facebook and find their draconian hooks into contact lists fucking annoying. I have that part disabled but don't trust it yet.

I'm not much of a gamer but the few I have I use to play with friends over the Internet. There's been a growing trend of Facebook only Multi player functionality too, which royally pisses me off.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #26
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
I updated my iPad just to see if I'd like it. Problem is I wasn't able to get onto WiFi afterwards. It's a known issues with certain routers. Seems to really dislike Netgear. This is a separate from the Apple Web page issue that happened early on. I was able to fix it by flashing my router with an older firmware that allowed it to work.

I haven't done my phone but I'll probably do that in a few days. I don't really care for the 3D view. It's not something I'd use on a regular basis. The issues with the image have to do with the photo image not meshing up to the terrain map they have. It's never perfect. You run into the same issue when using a GPS and unlocking it from the roads.

A work around for Maps is to create a Bookmark though Safari. Go to maps.google.com, create a bookmark then Add to Home Screen.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I did on my 4S and iPad 3. The panoramic photo option on the 4S is interesting. Maps is working well for me. The satellite view is okay but it would be nice if the distortion could be removed. Even so, there seems to be more detail than the google version. I like the nav so far.

If you want google maps, you can put a link from the website on the screen like an app.
I wonder if Google will be releasing a dedicated Map app for iOS...
Old 09-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
The press makes it appear so. Google wants that information stream.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #29
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I cannot imagine Google wouldn't want to. Hell, the "new" YouTube app now has ads in it, much to the chagrin of iOS users.

Whether or not Apple will "allow" a Google Maps app is another story (don't forget the Google Voice fiasco). I'm hoping they do release it.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #30
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Thanks MrBob. Things are back to normal.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

Sent from my rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: