User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer: 1,051
a few days riding in avNew England winter

Exactly one week ago today we got 34.5 inches of snow in my little town (West Boylston MA) I figured it would be a little while before I could ride my motorcycle. However come Tuesday the weather had changed and temps were creeping towards 40. Even though the roads were a mess I still needed to get out and ride!

So this trip report will be a little different, no epic journey's across many states. No 600 mile days in the saddle trying to get to some awesome motorcycle destination. But instead its just 4 days or riding my KLR around my surrounding towns. Sometime I try and find really neat places to take photo's, however I still just use my droid phone for all of these shots so they will not be the best quality.

Day 1 2-12-13
So lets start with Tuesday afternoon, I got to my office (I keep my bikes there) and noticed the big ice patches had turned into puddle so parked big red and took out little red

It was so nice feeling the breeze thru my helmet, even though it was kinda cold, maybe 36 degrees when I left. However when its been below freezing for a few days a sunny 36 degree day feels almost like a heat wave!

Right down the road you can see what 35 inches of snow looks like when you have to move it

I had a plan with this ride, and of course it involved tagging. For those that don't know, many message boards have tag games running. Someone post up a photo of a location or an item, in this case it was a school for the deaf or blind. My job was to find another school like this and post it up. So I claimed that tag. Than I would need to ride to another location or item and post that up for the next thing to be tagged.

Not too far from my house is the Perkins School, I would use this to claim the tag

one of the fun things I like about tagging is just riding around looking for cool things to take photo's of. And to use them as tags.

in the end I ended up using the photo below of a tank. This is a new memorial in Leominster for fallen soldiers from that city. The new tag would be a memorial to fallen soldiers.

Day 2- 2-13-13
Another cold start, but the sun is shining. Mrs. OSJ has me on a new exercise program, I walk/jog a few miles every day. Usually right in my neighborhood. However today I decide to walked along a old closed road that connects West Boylston and Holden. While walking I saw a few places I would like to return and snap some photo's. So once back at my office I went back with the bike.

Todays ride would be shorter than the day before. Mrs. OSJ works on Wednesday and I need to drive the kids around after school. So I only had time for a few more miles before I needed to become a dad again.

Day 3 2-14-13

Mrs OSJ would be with me today. Of course its Valentines day and we always spend that day together. We've also been riding together since October of 1988, but never got to ride on this day. Today would be the first.

We only took a few photo's, no tagging just riding. It was so nice to be back on two wheels with the love of my life. Talking the whole time via the Scala System was the icing on the cake!

it was such a great way to spend with my wife. Temps were low 40's but the heated jacket kept her warm.

Day 4 2-15-13

Another freezing cold night meant all the snow that melted the day before was shear ice in the morning. After our morning run we took the truck down the road for some breakfast. Over Easy Café on Rt 140 in Sterling MA is a great place to eat.

We both were itching to get out. And we only had a few hours do to so. Our youngest daughter was going to be spending a few days with our oldest at her college. However we have some time while the kids were in school to enjoy. So off we went!

we stopped at one of our favorite places to eat lunch. The Mountain Side Market is a small little store that also has a small sitting area in back. We were not quite hungry enough for some sammies, but they always have fresh homemade soup!

Mrs OSJ had the turkey gumbo, while I had corn chowder. Both served up with fresh bread! Boy was it good!

We got back on the KLR and took off up and over Wachusett Mountain, rode around the back roads of Leominster, Sterling and West Boylston. At one point Michelle broke the silence of the wind by saying

"there is no place I would rather be, then here with you on this road"

I just smiled inside my helmet...and simply said " me too babe!"

And that was my four days of winter riding on my KLR in New England!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
RebornRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
OSJ,
Awesome and inspiring report! I've been looking at the VStrom in the garage all winter and getting more antsy by the day! For me, it's the friggin' road salt that keeps me off the roads. I just envision all that salt dust I see on my truck getting stuck in the little nooks and crannies of the motorcycle, then having some kinda electrical failure in August due to a corroded connection!! There are many days I would ride but for the salt!
Anyway, reading your report and enjoying your pics have eased, but also exacerbated my angst a bit. lol
I was on a KLR 685 for several years before going to the Strom. Gotta just love the sheer toughness of that thumper. Wish I could have several rides in the garage, the KLR would definitely be one of them. I absolutely LOVE your soft luggage fairing! Good idea!
Are you on KLR650.net ? If not, check it out. It's a great board for KLRistas and motorcyclists in general. I've retained my membership there just for that reason. My handle there is S/V Buddy ( named after my sailboat of old ). Do check out the New England board on that site for an invitation to camping in June! Safe riding to yas. :-)
gary
PS: I'm in Feeding Hills, MA
RebornRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
OSJ OP
Formally DunkinDuck

Oddometer: 1,051
thanks!

Yup I'm on KLR.net, but don't post much over there.. The ads bother me a bit, but I do check it out from time to time.

The tank saddle bags and the hippo hands do such an awesome job keeping me out of the wind. Plus I have heated grips so it is so toasty warm inside those things!

Just started my 30th year of riding, and I've never put a bike away in winter. Never had a problem with bikes that I've ridden all winter. The way I look at it is this...rusty bolts can be replaced, days riding with my wife can't.

hope to see you on the road this year!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
diverdown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSJ View Post
thanks!

Yup I'm on KLR.net, but don't post much over there.. The ads bother me a bit, but I do check it out from time to time.

The tank saddle bags and the hippo hands do such an awesome job keeping me out of the wind. Plus I have heated grips so it is so toasty warm inside those things!

Just started my 30th year of riding, and I've never put a bike away in winter. Never had a problem with bikes that I've ridden all winter. The way I look at it is this...rusty bolts can be replaced, days riding with my wife can't.

hope to see you on the road this year!
Like how you roll. I just put a DMC enduro hack on my KLR this month and am having a blast riding. when Im at the coffee shop and all those Harley riders are looking out the window and looking for warmer weather and the street cleaners, Im riding,like you I say the same thing, rusty bolts can be replaced, I can strip the bike down and repaint the frame,Its 2c out here in British Columbia Canada, think I will go for a coffee, oh ya taking the KLR. diverdown
diverdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,475
Great report and pictures.
I seems you married WAY above your class
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote