Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #46
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,286
I vote to drop all the fluids and the oil filter, replace them, put a good 500 miles on it and change them again. If nothing has reared its ugly head by that point, I'd just run it until something does. Maybe it never will.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #47
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Summarize

Thanks everyone. I'll be heading down there to look at/buy the bike tomorrow or Monday. I think the owner will let me work on it some before buying it, so my intention is to drain the oil from the engine and transmission and look for water. Then put in fresh oils, squirt some into the plug holes and turn it over a couple times (with plugs grounded), then run it. Anything else obvious that I should look for before making a purchase decision? Thanks again for all your input.
itinerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #48
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,527
Take fresh plugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #49
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Pulled the trigger

Hey everyone. I bought the bike.

Went out this morning to take the cap off my truck, and in the process discovered that the top bracket for my rear left shock had rusted through and snapped. The shock was just pushing on the bottom of the truck bed (created a nice little dimple, in fact). So that's what that rattling was.

Stood there scratching my head for a few minutes, considering what would happen if I drove 75 miles with a 450 pound motorcycle on a pickup bed that's resting on a busted shock. Time was ticking, and I really didn't want to lose the chance to buy the bike. Then I thought - what the hell, all shocks do is control spring bounce, and as far as I can tell, these ones have never done that great a job. So, I just pulled the shock off. Will have to remove the rest of the bracket later and weld it back together.

Hopped in the truck, drove it over some test ruts. No problem. Maybe a little bouncier than usual, but probably just my imagination. Headed south.

Arrived 5 minutes early. Ha. The bike looks really good. 7,554 miles on the odometer, which I'm pretty sure is correct because the owner had all the receipts for work over the years, and they include mileage. Checked the engine oil - all good, no water. Pulled the transmission drain plug and found this:

Yucko. I'd brought some cheapo gear oil with me, so I used some to flush out the gearbox as best I could, and then overfilled it with fresh oil. Shifted through all the gears while standing still (turning the rear wheel), and everything seems ok. That's as much as I know how to check a transmission without actually riding it or opening it up. Squirted some oil in the cylinders, turned it over with the rear wheel. I'd brought some new plugs, but I wasn't able to find 3/4" extension plugs, and these were much shorter. Is it bad to use shorter plugs? I assume so, so I just cleaned off the old ones and put them back in. Squirted some starter in the intake, hooked up the truck battery (truck not running), and cranked. Nothing. No dice. The plugs were sparking, but they looked pretty horrible, and there seemed to maybe be some water on them. We tried a few more times then called it quits and loaded up the bike. Paperwork, cash exchanged, bits and pieces in the cab, and on my way home a happy new owner.

So, time to order up a new battery, plugs, and I think a new carb float or two - the left carburetor was intermittently overflowing, and after pulling the bowl, we discovered that the float valve works fine if you push up on the float, so I'm thinking the float must be cracked or something.

I'm hoping to get it running and spend the rest of the season putting some easy miles on it to see what, if any, effect all that water has had. Then I'll have the winter to spruce it up. Very, VERY excited! Thanks again for all your advice. I'll keep posting as I find out more. Sorry for the iPhone pics - will have better ones once I get the bike out of the truck.

Sam
Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #50
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,376
Fantastic, congrats on the new bike. I wouldn't fret too much over the gearbox oil being emusified just yet, my old Triumph 500 gearbox looked like that most of the time I would change out the fuel lines, but before pulling the one that goes through the airbox, join the new one to the old first, otherwise you will have to strip out the airbox assembly.

Let me have the last four digits of the frame number, and I will add you to the ST register on here..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391063

Kevin
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #51
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,877
congratulations, man.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #52
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,724
Hey Congrats!!!! The float level may just need to be adjusted or you may have some crap in you float needle. You probably know to check floats by seeing if they'll float in gas. Good luck and happy wrenching. Keep us posted.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #53
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Is it running yet?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #54
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

I came across this today, according to the TAX disc it has been off the road since April, dropped a note through the door of the house to see if it is for sale?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #55
Bluethumb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Take your time

Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
Is it running yet?

For what it's worth, I'd really suggest taking your time as hard as that is. Temptation is to hook up a battery and see if it runs. However, real damage can be prevented by first making sure there's no gunk in the carbs, fuel lines, tank, etc. going through and flushing and cleaning everything can't hurt at all and can potentially save a lot of money. In my opinion, a bike sitting that long shouldn't even had been tried to start w/o first really flushing and cleaning. Even pulling the driveshaft boot and checking the u joint will only take minutes. Remove the wheels and check the bearings, etc. This really is where patience can save a lot of money and time down the road, no pun intended!
Bluethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #56
mrbindc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
+1

I agree, very hard to resist kick'n the tires and light'n the fires but taking your time will pay off.
mrbindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #57
itinerant OP
Adventurer

The tank was cleaned by the PO, and there's a new fuel filter on. It was ridden regularly last summer, so it's less than a year it's been sitting. Anyway, I did hook up a new battery and plugs today, and was able to get it running on both cylinders for a few seconds, but the left cylinder would quickly drop out. I'm definitely getting spark over there, so I can only assume it's a fuel delivery problem - that was the same carb that was intermittently overflowing. I'm going to pull the carbs tonight and rebuild them, then try again tomorrow. I've got two kits, so I figure I might as well at least have a look in both. It also looks like there's some sediment in the fuel filter, so I'll probably try it with an IV tomorrow, and clean out the tank next. It looks like the PO tried to line the tank with something like POR-15 without cleaning the rust out first, and now the new tank liner is starting to flake. I've got a Kreem kit, but I'm not sure if the cleaner in there will be strong enough to get down through the failed POR. Any thoughts?

By the way, that battery is a pain to get in and out - but once I removed the rear fender, it was a breeze. Checked the air box at the same time - looks like it was installed last week. I ordered Bosch plugs, but am using some Autolites from the car parts store - same spec, just not as well made.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #58
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
I ordered Bosch plugs, but am using some Autolites from the car parts store - same spec, just not as well made.
Good looking bike!

NGK part number BP6ES is a good substitute for the stock bosch plugs. They're widely available at any auto parts store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
It looks like the PO tried to line the tank with something like POR-15 without cleaning the rust out first, and now the new tank liner is starting to flake. I've got a Kreem kit, but I'm not sure if the cleaner in there will be strong enough to get down through the failed POR. Any thoughts?
Get a bunch of short tack or roofing nails, put them in the tank and shake the hell out of it until you remove a good amount of the failing coating. Once you've removed most of it, the acid rinse should be able to get the rest as it'll be easier for it to get underneath the remaining coating. Also, kreem isn't the best coating out there. I'd go for the POR15 stuff.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 03:42 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #59
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Thanks! For some reason all the shops in my area were out of the BP6ES plugs. So since I had to order them anyway, I figured I'd stick with Bosch.

Good thought on the nails - I'll definitely do that. Is POR-15 that much better than Kreem? I've got two of the Kreem kits lying around that I'd love to use up. What're the different qualities of the two?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #60
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,874
Definitely go with POR 15 tank coating instead of Kreem. BTDT.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote