Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #76
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 357
nice vid.. I am sure you figured it out that the fuel tap is down for on, up for reserve and horizontal for off.

bike sounds great

Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
Well, this morning I buttoned up the carbs, replaced the fuel line, flushed out the tank, and fired 'er up. Lovely. I ran it for about 5 minutes at 1500 - 2000 rpm. Seems to be running quite nicely. There was a ton of smoke, mostly coming from the collector pipe, which seems to be fairly well coated in road grime. The clutch lever that comes out of the back of the transmission is prutty greasy too - there must be a seal there that's starting to go. Anyway, I'm assuming that the smoke was just that crap burning off. Figure I'll spray some S100 on it once it cools off. I took a little vid:

https://vimeo.com/50703009

So what do you all think? I'm feeling ready to change the final drive oil and have a little ride around the block and see how everything feels. So far I've replaced the engine oil and gearbox oil. Anything else I should absolutely replace/take care of before trying a little spin around the block?
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #77
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thanks, Lobo! I'm used to kickstarting. Something just seems wrong about letting the starter do all that work.

Just replaced the driveshaft oil (which was nasty) and the final drive oil (which looked brand new).

Here I go for my first ride!
itinerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #78
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Ok, that was AWESOME! I couldn't make it out of third gear (not registered yet, so I don't want to leave the neighborhood), but this bike is unlike anything I've ridden before (which isn't saying that much, really). Anyway, I LOVE it! Only bummer is that the turn signal switch lever fell off as I was making a turn. Went back, but couldn't find it.

Need to replace the fork seals now, and GET IT REGISTERED. YES.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #79
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygary View Post
nice vid.. bike sounds great
+1 on that.

looks like I was right, and you have found a little peach of a bike. Congrats man, enjoy it.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #80
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,856

That's great news

Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #81
subagon
Hopelessly lost

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Snip...

The clutch lever that comes out of the back of the transmission is prutty greasy too - there must be a seal there that's starting to go. Anyway, I'm assuming that the smoke was just that crap burning off.

...Snip
Clean up around the clutch release and inspect the rubber boot that covers the hole into the gearbox. This is how water got into my ST gearbox and trashed it.
subagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #82
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Thanks Subagon, will do.

I took the tank off this morning to line it (about to dive in), and noticed this blue electrical plug that has nothing plugged into it. Am I missing something?

Also, since my little turn signal lever fell off, I can't actuate the turn signals, and therefore won't pass inspection. Any good ideas for an alternative to either replacing the whole damn switch or wiring up a goofy aftermarket turn signal switch?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #83
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Thanks Subagon, will do.

I took the tank off this morning to line it (about to dive in), and noticed this blue electrical plug that has nothing plugged into it. Am I missing something?

Also, since my little turn signal lever fell off, I can't actuate the turn signals, and therefore won't pass inspection. Any good ideas for an alternative to either replacing the whole damn switch or wiring up a goofy aftermarket turn signal switch?

You might just be missing the cap. Here's mine. ST as well.

What part fell off your signal switch? Pic? I might have a few spare bits. They are actually quite serviceable.
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #84
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Ah, that makes sense.

The part that fell off is the little rocker lever that rocks back and forth between left and right turn signals (highlighted in red on the fiche image below).

Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #85
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,272
That empty blue plug is an "accessory socket" for powering various accessories. It has a an always hot, keyed hot, turn signal, high beam, and horn pin if I remember right. Cover it up though. It's just asking for a short if it's uncovered.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #86
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,608
Quote:
Ah, that makes sense.

The part that fell off is the little rocker lever that rocks back and forth between left and right turn signals (highlighted in red on the fiche image below).

You should still have the little metal "tang" that the plastic button screws onto. that will suffice to operate the signals. I betcha someone here has a bad switch you could steal the button off of.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #87
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Unfortunately not. All I have is an empty slot in the body of the switch. Will take a photo tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #88
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,608
Quote:
Unfortunately not. All I have is an empty slot in the body of the switch. Will take a photo tomorrow.
Aww...shit. Post in the flea market thread and see if someone has one you can cannabalize for next to nothin'. Or you could be really clever and get a toggle switch from an electrical parts or hardware store and stuff it in the existing switch. I'll look and see if I have my old one...don't think I do.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #89
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Hanging idle

Hi all,

So I finally got a chance today to take the bike out for a ride. First I checked the valve clearance, since I had no idea who or when it had last been done. The exhaust valves were a little tight, so I loosened them. I did find a little rust in there - see what you think:

I had ordered a new oil filter, o-ring, and shim, intending to replace all that. I rode the bike to a local motorcycle shop, got some oil, and came home. It was only about 3 miles, but very slow traffic, so it was about 45 minutes worth of riding (mostly idling). About 15 minutes into the ride, I noticed that the bike would hang at idle - right up around 2000 rpm. It got worse over the course of the ride, and by the time I got home, I was dragging the clutch to keep it down. When I pulled in the clutch, it would creep up above 2000.

I got home and changed the oil - there was a nice new filter, o-ring, and shim in there, so I just ended up putting them all back. The oil that came out looked great. Drained the transmission oil, shaft oil, and final drive oil. All were totally opaque, except for the final drive oil, which looked fine. Last bit of water in the tranny?

My real question is about the hanging idle. I read another thread on here about this problem, and got lots of suggestions, but am not quite sure where to start. When I cleaned the carbs, I just stuck the A/F mixture screws back in and turned them the same amount each, so I'll definitely need to adjust those, but I'm not actually sure how to do it - can anyone point me to a guide? It doesn't seem to be covered in my Haynes manual.

The other thing that everyone was mentioning was advance timing weights. Where are those, and how do I check them for sticking?

Sorry to be such a noob here. Your help is much appreciated!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #90
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,474
Zeroing the carbs first, and balancing exactly is the first step with your idle hanging issue. If after than it is still there... look to other things.

Also, if most of your time on the ride was sitting in traffic, you will need another ride to get the trans oil much hotter before saying all the water is gone for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote