Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #106
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinerant View Post
So here's a really dumb question: how do you make the steering lock work? Mine turns, with the key, but doesn't lock anything, no matter which way I turn the handlebars, push or pull the key in the lock, etc. Is there some trick to it? Or maybe there's a second key for it that I don't have?
Handlebars to the left and push it in.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #107
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Nice, thanks, everyone. In place of the US 3 position switch, does anyone know if Motobins part number 85150 will swap directly in? The wiring is arranged differently, but if the switch itself fits right into the handlebar enclosure thingy, that might be a nice option. My turn signal switch lever fell off, so I need to do something about that anyway, and it might be nice to have the option of turning off the headlight.
I think so.... the pilot light's in there as is its wiring (at least on mine)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #108
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
handlebars to the left? that completely blocks the steering lock! something must be out of whack on my bike.
itinerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #109
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
handlebars to the left? that completely blocks the steering lock! something must be out of whack on my bike.
Then to the right then. I never use the damn thing so I don't remember. Turn them to one side (and not the other) and it should be possible to push the lock in. You do have your original folding key, right? If not, careful you don't crack the key off in the lock with the fork leg.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #110
itinerant OP
Adventurer

That's what I figured, but I can't make it work. I do have the folding key (that thing is awesome). Anyway, I'll take a good look at it next time I'm out there.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #111
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
There is no Euro headlamp switch for ST's and G/S's.. there is a 5-position Euro ignition that services the same purpose....
There is also this modification linked below to change your US ignition into the Euro one:
http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/euromod.html

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #112
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Nice! And that switch will turn the headlight all the way off? Do you have any idea what the part number is at Max? I found the switch in their fiche, but can't tell if it's the one you have or the stock, headlight-always-on one. I could probably call them and find out.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #113
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Nice! And that switch will turn the headlight all the way off? Do you have any idea what the part number is at Max? I found the switch in their fiche, but can't tell if it's the one you have or the stock, headlight-always-on one. I could probably call them and find out.
Yea rusty will know. I'll try to find the part #. I got it years ago when my switch died
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #114
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,031
Quote:
Save your $ for the enduralast charger....

I used an 8$ toggle switch that was placed in a precut hole in my RS Mono's headlight shell. One wire to the bulb, toggle has a sleeve tightening washer so it's dust/water tight. When I want to run with just my running light (the RS has one above the headlight) I just reach for the side/back of my headlamp shell and flick the switch. Has helped me start the bike too when the battery was low.

8$ euro switch
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #115
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,545
What's the part number of that switch Jenna? That looks like the Euro standard one (1978-1982 or something) for everything but the ST and GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #116
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
What's the part number of that switch Jenna? That looks like the Euro standard one (1978-1982 or something) for everything but the ST and GS.
I feel like an ass...I've searched High and Low for the invoice for this guy and contacted Nathan since he got it for me. No luck as of yet. They do have it at motobins. But I think you knew that.

Photobucket
Old 10-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #117
itinerant OP
Adventurer

Yep, that's the one that I saw at motobins. since it seems to never have come stock on the ST, I just wanted to make sure that it would actually fit onto the clutch/lever enclosure, but it looks from your photo like it does.

Quote:
Save your $ for the enduralast charger....

I used an 8$ toggle switch that was placed in a precut hole in my RS Mono's headlight shell. One wire to the bulb, toggle has a sleeve tightening washer so it's dust/water tight. When I want to run with just my running light (the RS has one above the headlight) I just reach for the side/back of my headlamp shell and flick the switch. Has helped me start the bike too when the battery was low.

8$ euro switch
If it were only the headlight on/off switch that I wanted to replace, I'd definitely do something like what you're saying, but my turn signal switch fell off, so I'm thinking it might be worth replacing the whole thing. And get the enduralast charger too, somewhere down the road .