User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #76
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Captain Yesterday,

What you've done with this bike and the short amount of time that it has taken you is nothing short of amazing. I'm working on a similar project and am a bit ahead of you in the process..... But I started 2 years earlier than you!

And, looking at both of our "before" pictures, it's clear that you started with a much rougher bike. I had a pretty solid, albeit it dirty and corroded, example to work with and I've spent more time than I care to remember cleaning and polishing, and working late hours in the garage to save what was salvageable. Your project looks like it has taken more work than mine did. I think most people would have run away from your original bike, but you saw potential and you're following through with your vision and giving the old girl a new lease on life in the process. Much, much respect, and I'm on board for the rest of the project. I can't wait to see it completed.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #77
Captain Yesterday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Thanks for the kind words, I guess I'm just young and dumb with too much time on my hands, unemployed recent college grad, so I got tons of time on my hands. Actually, I've been juggling restoring 4 bikes at the same time, a ct70, ct110, cx500/650 and the R75/5. Here's a picture of the ct110 and cx.

Actually looking back on this project, maybe I shouldn't have restored this bike. Not because it couldn't be done but because it has gone over my foretasted budget, do to mainly how many parts weren't reusable. O well to late now, hopefully it should be done in February.

By the way the restoration on your R60/5 is looking great!
Captain Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #78
Captain Yesterday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
More electrical questions.

1) Coil- from the engine wiring harness does the black wire go to the negative terminal? It's not clear from the wiring diagram, it only shows a black connecting the coils and a ground off one of the coils. From how it was set up before I have a black from the engine wiring harness to the - on the left coil. then + on left coil to - on right. and a ground on the + terminal. For some reason this doesn't seem right.

2) do the fuses go in the headlight bucket?

3) Starter - Does the starter solenoid have two poles/ connectors on it? Mine only has 1 and the harness shows two wires going to it. black and green/black.

Thanks
Captain Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote