User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
My dream Airhead

So since I have had Airheads, and way before. I have LOVED the way the R65LS looks. First time I remember seeing one was in that movie which I think was called the day after. Loved the red one in the movie with the white wheels. Anyway, I know they are slow and do't mind because this is what i want to do to it.

R80 motor with ported dual plug heads, HC Seibenrock big bore kit, the power kit extra, 34mm Mikuni flat sldies, and of course I'll retain the stock airbox since I get caught in the rain every once in a while. I'll also want to do a high performance clutch and the suspension will get up graded with Ohlins shock and a fork job. For some odd reason, this is my all time dream Airhead since I love the looks and for an Airhead, it'll be fast, especially for an R65LS.....and I KNOW it won't REALLY be an R65LS but no one will have to know that.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
I'll wait for the more knowledgeable here, but given that the R65 is sort of unique to the airhead "family", wouldn't spooning an R80 motor in there require a fair bit of modification?

Just wondering, don't know myself. If you do end up doing this, please post your progress.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,144
I know Wirespokes has an 850cc upgrade with Mikunis. He will know how that is done. I think it is with stock BMW pistons/cyls. Now that would be a super way to make a sleeper out of the R65. I like the Bings so much I would go that way.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

I will spoon in an R80 Motor with the upgrades show done to it. I will not only leave the R65LS motor alone for reliability but for collectors sake as most who want these things will want the stock motor IF I ever sell it. Which after all this work i never would!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
I know Wirespokes has an 850cc upgrade with Mikunis. He will know how that is done. I think it is with stock BMW pistons/cyls. Now that would be a super way to make a sleeper out of the R65. I like the Bings so much I would go that way.
I can't stand the stock Bings compared to the mikunis. After a set of mikunis goes on an airhead and you FEEL the increase of power, you'll also hate the Bings. My R100RS wa NIGHT and DAy better with a set of 40mm Mikunis on it even thought the Bings were as perfect as they can be before that swap.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
The 65Ls is supposed to be 55 BHP. Well it is in Europe, I think the standard 65 engines too nice to swap out for a bland 80 motor.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
The 65Ls is supposed to be 55 BHP. Well it is in Europe, I think the standard 65 engines too nice to swap out for a bland 80 motor.
So here in the US that would be about 19bhp then. I rode one and it felt SLOW compared to a naked R80.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
I've owned one, and ridden another. One was hotrodded like crazy, mikuni's, dual plug heads, lightened flywheel, etc. The other was a friend's, who I helped get on the road. Bought mine for 700 bucks, needed new gas, oil, and battery (guy thought it needed a starter and more). My friend's needed a lot more, but for 500 bucks, not a bad deal. Bone stock, with either 160k miles. Cylinders still have crosshatching. Honestly, my friends felt a lot faster. Better torque too. When the bings are right, they run really well.

The engines mount the same. The difference between the engines is really only limited to stroke (shorter on the r65, type 248).
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #9
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,710
Go for it Man!!!

I have a R65LS to 'One day' restore too

You have given this a lot of thought!!!

This sounds like a great plan, go with the hotted up R80, great choice

The amount of work to do a 850/650 is more than the quality powerup kit

Fit up a set of 4 piston Brembos on the front too off a K1100.

I will subscribe to this for sure

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,450
bigger motor bolts right in, very little to modify. friend put a r100 engine in his wifes, made it pretty fun to ride. always wanted to do it to mine, but never got around to it.
loved riding the LS though, even did track days with it. great handling and brakes. with the r100 engine, it would wheelie!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #11
backdrifter
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Cool idea! Good looking bike too - I've always like the R65ls - it reminds me of an ahead-of-it's-time pre-cursor to the KTM Duke!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,425
I had an LS, and while it was a nice bike, I found the bars were to narrow for a fat oaf like me, cool little bike tho, and it was my first beemer.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,706
I, being of the "inseam challenged" variety of American, have often thought that the R65, with its lowered-seat/ride height, would work well for me. I like them, especially the LS with its dual disks, and it would make a fab basis for dropping in a nice R80 engine. BUT, I have to say, all the things you hear about the R65 motor may just be so much urban-legend... they seem to last well and have reasonable power! ... and, perhaps also because of the urban-legend stuff, an R65 can be bought pretty cheap!

Hmm...
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
I had an LS, and while it was a nice bike, I found the bars were to narrow for a fat oaf like me, cool little bike tho, and it was my first beemer.
Now that's a photograph I'd like to see. How did you fold yourself up on one of those Kev?
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,016
Now this R65 I will have to see. And I will!

Do you already have the R80 engine?
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote