User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Architect OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
2005 KTM 625SMC won't start?

I just purchased and had shipped to NH a 2005 KTM 625 SMC from Austin TX. The bike has 3,000 miles on it. I'm not new to bikes but this is my first thumper and my first KTM.

I'm having trouble getting the bike to start. When it first arrived the bike ran for a few seconds. Since then nothing. The starter will crank the engine but no combustion.

I've added 1.5 gallons of fresh gas. I've replaced the spark plug. I didn't test the compression but when I tried to kick start it, there seems to be plenty of compression!

I pulled the plug and checked the spark. There seems to be a good spark and when I pull the plug it's wet with gas.

I thought I had flooded the carb. So I drained the bowl and pulled the plug. I let it sit overnight with no luck the next day.

If the carb runs out of fuel how long does it take to fill the bowl and get fuel to the cylinder?

I've tried to spray a small amount of starter fluid into the spark plug hole. It back fired out of the exhaust and the carb.

Anyone have any recommendations on what to try next?
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,057
Time to check the carb. Did the main jet come loose and fall to the bottom of the float bowl? Did the float sink? Once the petcock is turned on it only takes a few seconds for the carb float bowl to fill up.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Architect OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Time to check the carb. Did the main jet come loose and fall to the bottom of the float bowl? Did the float sink? Once the petcock is turned on it only takes a few seconds for the carb float bowl to fill up.
Thanks for your help.

That's what I thought. Because of the weather (it's cold!) and the bike being new to me, I'm just going to call the dealer and let them verify the carb is gummed up. And I'll also let them tune it.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Architect OP
n00b

So the KTM dealer cleaned out the carb. The pilot jet was clogged.

But they couldn't get the bike to run. It would only backfire? Valve clearances checked out. KTM recommend they look at the timing. Sure enough there was the problem. Unfortunately the problem was more than expected. The key on the crank shaft was ruined, a few teeth were missing on the starter and the starter clutch is on it's last leg. Seems like a lot of damage for 3,000 miles.

625 smc5 by anzalone22, on Flickr

625 smc4 by anzalone22, on Flickr

625 smc 2 by anzalone22, on Flickr

Guess who's not happy? I've started a claim with paypal. When I notified the previous owner he thought the bike wasn't starting because the carb needed some adjusting to our elevation.

I'm having a hard time believing this bike ran well, was picked up by the shipper in Austin, delivered to me and the crank key was ruined during shipping.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Architect OP
n00b

Has anyone ever seen a key way fail?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect View Post
Has anyone ever seen a key way fail?
I see it happen in mowers when the engine goes from full revs to zero in an instant, cause is usually from the blade striking an inanimate object like rock or iron...

In your case it may have been caused by an improperly torqued flywheel nut as to where there was a bit if wiggle movement that over time worked to wear the key...

Is there any evidence that a piece of the gear teeth may of jammed between the case and the flywheel to pinch it from turning? This should show up in the form of scarring to the case...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
Architect OP
n00b

No signs of other damage but I'll check again with the mechanic.