Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 299
Selling 990 for a 500EXC, have I lost my mind?

I'll try to make this brief. I bought a new 990 Baja in January 2014. I'm having some buyers remorse right now. I've got the bike up for sale. My thought is I want something more dual sport oriented, something that won't hold me back from going on difficult desert rides. For example, it sucks to always be the guy asking what the ride entails and making the difficult decision of whether or not you can make an epic planned ride because you lack confidence in using the bike you've got.

I've been riding MX and desert trails for more than 10 years now. In the desert I can ride A level trails with A level riders no problem on my CRF450R that I have outfitted appropriately. But when said crowd does dual sport rides I'm left out because neither the Honda or the 990 are good choices.

Mind you, I'd still like to ride pavement to get to some cool dirt. Think mini adventure rides. That in some case could mean spending hours on pavement heading up North. I don't expect to be doing 85-90 mph on a dirt bike on the hwy, but still need to turn miles on pavement.

690 Enduro was on my split decision when I got the 990, but they are all sold out and I'm not sure I'll be patient enough waiting for a good one to pop up for sale.

I'm sure I'll leaving important details out for you advise me properly, but ask and I'll answer back quickly.

ben
Old 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 11,026
Its tricky,as soon as you sell the 990 you'll want it for something,ask me how I know. And then taking the resale hit on it isnt fun so soon.

It sounds like you need 2 bikes,maybe 3. Maybe figure out a way to get a 525/530/500 without breaking the bank and still have the 990.

Ive gone through more then a few bikes and have ended up with 4 of the things sitting here,the selling/buying regularly wears thin.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

I hear you about the 990. I was so certain this was the bike I wanted next. Researched it for two years. I lusted after it, but now I'm having trouble learning to love it. Just seems like too much of a compromise for the ability to do some pavement miles more comfortably -- while keeping in mind that even the 990 isn't really comfortable on the highway.

At the moment I don't intend to sell the CRF. But, if I do in fact get the 500 I might discover I no longer really have a need for the CRF (which is still worth more to me now keeping it than trying to sell/give it away).

Anyone out there doing serious miles on pavement on their 500?

ben
Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
dlorenz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Don't do it! As stated above - get another dirt bike with a plate. I've got a 990, a plated Husaberg 570, and a streetbike. Can't see living without one of them. give the 990 some time, the more you ride it the more comfortable you will get with it. I'm doing things with it now six months ago I wouldn't have attempted. You'll come to love it.

P.S.: Serious dirt bikes make terrible road bikes. Even short trips on the pavement become tedious.
dlorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

Well, this is the kind of feedback I need, even if it seems like what I don't want to hear. I'm in pretty deep on the 990. I'm willing to cut my losses now rather than later when they will be greater if need be. No real way to add another bike at the moment, maybe for a couple of years.

Haven't even tried all of the kinds/types of riding that I had intended to do on the 990 yet. Just the handful of rides I've done in varying conditions have not done well to motivate or encourage my outlook.

ben
Old 04-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
dlorenz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I've done week long rides up in the Sierras doing 80% dirt roads and jeep trails, camping the whole time. There is something special about packing up and leaving the driveway in suburbia and heading off with everything you need packed on the bike. Not many bikes are as capable as the 990 for that kind of thing. My plated dirt bike would be torture for that, plus it couldn't handle all the crap I'd like to take along. Embrace it for what it was intended to do and I'm sure you'll change your mind about it.
dlorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Rizzly
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I live in San Diego and own a 2012 BMW F800GS that was bought specifically for long trips (Alaska 2013) and 600 mile trips down to Baja (2012,2013 and 2014) with the other big bikes such as 950, 990's and the 1200's...

I recently just "bit the bullet" and bought a 2014 500EXC for the same reasons as you..."missing the day trips around Southern California with other smaller dual sport riders."

My advice...Keep the 990 (Its a great bike!) to ride with the big bike crews! Buy a smaller dual sport for the tight technical single track day trips!
Rizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,224
I've had a 990 and a 690 and looked VERY hard at a 500. It is a fantastic bike BUT it needs some cash to become a dual sport (bigger tank, better seat, cush drive) and still not great on the road (but primo off road).

My point is if you bought a 990 you must have been planning on doing longer rides in the first place so a 500 may give you the similar problems as you have now with a bike that's too heavily weighted to one type of riding. Pitty you couldn't sort a 690, in my opinion set up right, they offer a pretty good fit as a do it all bike - they have their haters though.

since you have the 990 I,d invest some more time into it and see how you go - you've got nothing too lose and you might decide to keep it in which case you will avoid the hit of selling it. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Night Falcon screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 05:26 PM
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Wait you live in AZ? and have a CRF450R?

Just get it plated!! and throw a light or two on it and keep the 990.

EXC 500 is awesome by the way but i wouldn't want to ride more than 10-20 minutes of pavement on it..its just not at all fun on pavement, but sometimes you gotta hit some to connect dirt.

I have a 950 Stupid Enduro if I need to hit more pavement. and get the hero award on dual sport rides when everyones on 200 pound lighter bikes lol.

KTM450SX screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 03:20 PM
KTM450SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
Wait you live in AZ? and have a CRF450R?

Just get it plated and throw a light or two on it and keep the 990.

EXC 500 is awesome by the way but i wouldn't want to ride more than 10-20 minutes of pavement on it..its just not at all fun on pavement.

I have a 950 Stupid Enduro if I need to hit more pavement. and get the hero award on dual sport rides when everyones on 200 pound lighter bikes lol.
I could look into plating the 450. Good point. Right now I have it geared so low that anything above 55 mph feels like it might make the bike explode. LOL

ben
Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #11
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Far as I know AZ and utah will let you plate just about anything.
KTM450SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
I could look into plating the 450. Good point. Right now I have it geared so low that anything above 55 mph feels like it might make the bike explode. LOL

ben
The 450 would be gone if you got a 500,or even a 525,I recently picked up a 525 for under 4 K with low hours,with some fiddling around with it,it will work great without that 10+ K hit a new 500 entails.
A 450 mx'er cant go far down the hiway with close ratio gears.

As far as the 990 you've got basic buyer's remorse,need to take it out and thrash it some,make it yours. Scuff it up some.
2 years of investigating it,there must be a use for it.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #13
armourbl OP
Adventure Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
The 450 would be gone if you got a 500,or even a 525,I recently picked up a 525 for under 4 K with low hours,with some fiddling around with it,it will work great without that 10+ K hit a new 500 entails.
A 450 mx'er cant go far down the hiway with close ratio gears.

As far as the 990 you've got basic buyer's remorse,need to take it out and thrash it some,make it yours. Scuff it up some.
2 years of investigating it,there must be a use for it.
You are correct, but so far you guys are talking me out of the 500 and telling me to keep the 990. That means for now that I'll also keep the 450. In that instance, I wouldn't be do hard pavement miles on the 450, just transitions to piece together dirt.

ben
Old 04-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
You are correct, but so far you guys are talking me out of the 500 and telling me to keep the 990. That means for now that I'll also keep the 450. In that instance, I wouldn't be do hard pavement miles on the 450, just transitions to piece together dirt.

ben
Off the 450,go orange. Its a plan anyways,CRF will never make much of a dual sport.

Ive done B remorse sales and they suck. Move the 990 in the house for awhile,ft room or where ever,make it feel at home.
It will grow on you.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
TheMuffinMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,596
There's no one bike that does it all sadly. The 690 Enduro comes damn close though. It's not in the same class as pure dirt bikes but it trades road comfort for fuel economy, ease of maintenance, and much easier off-road handling than a 950/990.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote