Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #136
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Yeah, I'm trying to cover all the bases, so it's ready to roll in the spring.

If you weren't so far away I could give yours the treatment !! Lol.

I was out your way this past summer, I rode to Acadia NP., and Bar Harbor.I camped out in Acadia.

Beautiful spot to camp isn't it.

I may get out today and do more maintenance, I am sure with the pile of snow we have had lately that I will have plenty of time to get it done this winter.

Happy New Year to you as well
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #137
Unclejimmy1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Tonight I changed out all the fluids.
I replaced the brake fluid front and rear with LiquiMoly Dot 4.
I used Cummins Fleetguard blue coolant for the cooling system.
And Mobile 1 -15w50 Full Synthetic motor oil.
I really don't want to tell you this ,,,but you will find out if you read the Jackson Ms. NYD ride report,,,,,I whimpered out riding with them today Rainng I'm Mississippi,,,,they are going to meridian ms and back to Jackson to day,,,,,,But at the big 70 I would hold them back so I will wait and read of the experiences I could have had!
I hope you have a Happy New Year, !,,,and maybe we can meet at the MTF. Founders Feast in Ohio. Uncle Jmmy:. Got the LRP dressed with top case,,,crebris hand guards. Windscreen Cycle rack,, and ordering a Seat Concepts kit......still loving it.
Unclejimmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #138
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
I've been lurking in this thread from the beginning, looks excellent.

I was a bit backwards from you, I was looking for a GSA and ended up getting a KLR. Similiar reasons, leave the expensive bikes for the rich. I could have gotten the GSA if I really wanted it, but to me it would have been a sacrifice that I'm glad I didn't have to make.

Now if I can find the time and money to do what you're doing I'll be set. You're doing this thing the way we all want to but very few actually take the time to do. Maybe (hopefully) next winter for me.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #139
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
You're doing this thing the way we all want to but very few actually take the time to do.
Amen.
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #140
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I put the front end back together and sure enough the front forks are bent.
I noticed the misalignment before, but was hoping they were just shifted and that after loosening it all and retorqing that it would be ok.But, no such luck.

If you look at the fender and tire you can see the misalignment, they should move together.
Also, I noticed the rear subframe is tweaked to the left a bit, causing the seat to tank fit to be too tight.
I am going to have to pull the rear subframe and front forks back off and replace them.
The PO is a stand up guy, and is going to send me replacement parts.
He swapped ends at 30-40 miles an hour on gravel and didn't realize the extent of the damage.

In the meantime , while I am waiting on parts,I am going to pull the shock off and freshen that up.
Wow! Did the PO Flip the bike? Did it get air borne and land upside down?
On the DR forums lots of guys "think" they have bent forks or handlebars ... but 90% of the time they are wrong.

I'm sure you've done all the checks on this ... like loosening all four triple clamp bolts and wiggle bars back and forth ...then use front axle to re-align the forks during reassembly. Axle get tightened first ... then triple clamp bolts.

Also ... don't know if the KLR has rubber damped bars ... the DR does ... and in a fall the bars get twisted ... but NOTHING IS BENT ... you simply need to push the bars back to center. The rubber dampers allow movement
in a fall ... but don't self correct. You have to push against bar stop to get them straight. Easy.

Try to find out if its the tubes that are bent ... or the triple clamps. Could be either one ... but more likely fork tubes. Really hard (for me) to tell on triple clamps. But fork tubes, once disassembled, you can roll the tubes on flat surface (like glass) to look for the bend.

Fork tubes can be straightened. Any suspension guys can do it.
Triple clamps? I'm not sure on this ...

With the DR650 guys always think they've bent their handlebars. Same deal, the bars are rarely bent. It's either the forks just tweaked in the clamps or its the rubber dampers holding bars out of true center.

I fixed two DR's from DR riding friends who were ready to buy new forks! One already bought new Pro Taper bars! (thinking stockers were bent!)
Boy, were they surprised when I straightened everything in under ten minutes.

A little Knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #141
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,774
They are definatly bent, I had it all apart and methodically reinstalled it all.
I would rather just install new parts and be done with it.

UPDATE-After dissassembly and measuring the fork tube runout, the triple clamps appear to be bent instead of the tubes.

After some more research, I have also discovered the stock KLR triples are on the soft side and prone to bending in a hard crash.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 03:39 AM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #142
EMTNEK
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 32
Thanks, Gas Guy. This is excellent. I own a BMW (expensive repairs) K1200GT and have wanted a dual sport for when the dirt starts. Bought 2001 R11500S last spring, put a few thousand miles on it and did one organized mixed road ride. It is tough in mud to manhandle. I helped a few other 1200GS owners drag them through the muck. Then decided that mechanically I did not trust it enough to go to James Bay and sold it, at a loss. My little BMW dealer was not a fan of the 1150GS. Thought the ABS system was not reliable with dual fluids and all. Unless one had it out of the box one did not know what one was getting.
Love to have a GSA if money did not matter. It does. Something smaller as well for when things get boney or muddy. The KLR as a simpler machine and a lot cheaper can do what I want to do on a dual sport bike. I like the simpler cheaper thing and thank you for going through it on here so I know what to look for. Excellent.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #143
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Clutch arm mod by Twin Headlight Ernie

Yesterday, Ernies clutch arm came in the mail, so I got out in the garage today and installed it.

It is about 5/8" longer than stock to provide more leverage and less effort.

IBA # 23,716

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 09:11 AM
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #144
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Clutch arm lever installed

Here is a pic of it installed.

It is an amazing difference in how easy the clutch pull is now, especially my bike because it has the heavier clutch springs installed.
It is a very easy installation also.You just disconnect the cable, then rotate the arm counterclockwise a quarter turn and lift it out.Simple.
I like the lighter clutch pull effort while still keeping the simplicity and reliability of a cable clutch.
While I was at it, I also put a new clutch cable on.
IBA # 23,716

GAS GUY screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 02:52 AM
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #145
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
I did something similar, went from these

to this

did some of this

Ended up looking like this

Looks like you are having fun both wrenching and riding the KLR, good times.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #146
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

PacificPT- Your bike came out really nice.That fairing is sharp.
IBA # 23,716
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #147
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
The fairing is a generic Lynx from Britania, I fabbed up some mounts so it attaches to the forks. I like my headlight to turn with my handlebars. The HID really is much better than the stock unit. I use the bike as my primary form of transport so it gets ridden a lot at night and I wanted more light than the stock unit. I got the unit from another inmate after his KLR 600 rebuild went bad. Been very happy with it.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #148
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
The fairing is a generic Lynx from Britania, I fabbed up some mounts so it attaches to the forks. I like my headlight to turn with my handlebars. The HID really is much better than the stock unit. I use the bike as my primary form of transport so it gets ridden a lot at night and I wanted more light than the stock unit. I got the unit from another inmate after his KLR 600 rebuild went bad. Been very happy with it.
Nice bike! Have you managed to do something with the stock muffler?
It's even worse than the one on my DR650! ... and the sound is truly pathetic. I hate LOUD pipes ... but is there a sensible option for the KLR that sounds a little better and lightens the load a bit? I'm not a fan of mufflers that need re-packing ... like FMF and loud pipes bring "unwanted" attention!

The HOT ticket for the DR650 is using on older GSXR Titanium muffler. Mine was $50 ... plus $200 for the mid pipe to make it ft. Light, nice sound, lasts forever, no re-packing. ALL GOOD!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #149
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Nice bike! Have you managed to do something with the stock muffler?
It's even worse than the one on my DR650! ... and the sound is truly pathetic. I hate LOUD pipes ... but is there a sensible option for the KLR that sounds a little better and lightens the load a bit? I'm not a fan of mufflers that need re-packing ... like FMF and loud pipes bring "unwanted" attention!

The HOT ticket for the DR650 is using on older GSXR Titanium muffler. Mine was $50 ... plus $200 for the mid pipe to make it ft. Light, nice sound, lasts forever, no re-packing. ALL GOOD!
I think the pipe to get for the KLR is the LEO VINCE.
IBA # 23,716
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #150
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
I think the pipe to get for the KLR is the LEO VINCE.
Leo Vince are consistently doing very nice pipes for a variety of bikes. I first saw them back in around 2005 on DL1000 Stroms. Very Nice pipes. I used a Remus pipe on my Vstrom but the Leo Vince was nearly as good ... and less expensive by about $100.

They also make a very nice pipe for my "other" bike, my Triumph Tiger 1050.
Light, well made, not too loud. The Tiger one comes with a removable baffle.