Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #181
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Do you have a part number or other reference for the Fox reservoir please?
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #182
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99 View Post
Do you have a part number or other reference for the Fox reservoir please?
Fox racing shock front reservoir kit p/n 2874244

Application-2003 predator

This kit was actually made for polaris.

I think it is discontinued now, although some are still floating around. There are many different reservoirs available though and you can even get them with high and low speed compression adjustment.

Alot of the snowmobile applications also use reservoirs.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 02:49 PM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #183
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,250
Impressive!

IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #184
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Pro Taper and Vibranators

I found the handlebars were tweaked so after some time considering different bends I ordered a set of Pro Taper seven eights ATV MID bars.

I wanted the taller ATV High but I didn't like the pullback on them.I am also using 1" risers so the mids will work out well.

I also ordered a set of Vibranators, I figured I can use all the help I can get taming the thumper vibrations.

After considering the options I felt the $10.00 extra for the threaded set that comes with a 5/8 tap to thread the 14 mm ID of the pro taper bars was well worth it.

I'm very impressed with the solid installation of the threaded set, and feel it is much nicer than dealing with the traditional wedge hardware with barkbusters, since now your barkbusters thread into the end of the vibranators with the included bolts.

On the threaded kit, the ends stick out 1" ,so if you want your bars the same width you have to cut an inch off of your bars.

I wanted some extra room for my hands, especially when wearing heavy gloves, so I didn't cut the bars.Now I will have an extra inch of room between my barkbusters and my hand.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 03:01 PM
Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #185
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Here is a pic with them installed with the barkbusters.You can see the silver end of the Vibranators sticking past the bar ends.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 03:02 PM
Old 02-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #186
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Eagle Mike is at it again along with Mike Coe, doing dyno testing on mods for the KLR.

He has announced that advancing the stock exhaust cam one tooth on a stock bike with stock muffler and uni filter and klx jet kit has gained 7-10% horsepower and torque without any loss anywhere.

This isn't 7-10% peak hp, but rather it is this much in various parts of the powerband and has been reported as being felt in the seat of your pants also.

The mod is being called the MC Mod after Mike Coe and Eagle Mike.

They are working on more mods and testing too.
They have a thread over at .net with dyno graphs and everything.
When I get some time I plan on doing the mod.
Anyway, I just thought all the KLR guys would be interested so I am posting a heads up.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 03:05 PM
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #187
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Eagle Mike is at it again along with Mike Coe, doing dyno testing on mods for the KLR.
He has announced that advancing the stock exhaust cam one tooth on a stock bike with stock muffler and uni filter and klx jet kit has gained 7-10% horsepower and torque without any loss anywhere.
This isn't 7-10% peak hp, but rather it is this much in various parts of the powerband and has been reported as being felt in the seat of your pants also.
Anyway, I just thought all the KLR guys would be interested so I am posting a heads up.

Hmmmmm..... good to know. I had heard mutterings about this but now apparently confirmed if EM is behind it. No drawbacks? Sounds too good to be true!

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #188
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Hmmmmm..... good to know. I had heard mutterings about this but now apparently confirmed if EM is behind it. No drawbacks? Sounds too good to be true!

They have not found any drawbacks at all, you can't beat free horsepower.
They are also going to try an adjustable sprocket to see if it is of any benefit to advance it less than 1 tooth.
He reported that advancing the intake cam lost power.
He is also working on bigger big bore kits.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #189
jerrybiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Looks like a nice bike. I've never ridden the 705 but, I hear they actually vibrate less.

Living debt free is the only true freedom! Everything I own is paid for & I could probably survive (& still eat meat) on $600 a month. Here in rural Tennessee the cost of living is very low, just gassed up @ $3.59. My blood preassure would be through the roof if I had a mortgage to pay. Credit is a trap. I never had a credit card till I was 39 & I only got that so I could buy things cheaper on the inter-webs. Proptly pay the card in full each month.

I love my KLR, it's a bike that puts money in my pocket.
Sold my ZX10R few months ago. Debating in buying a KLR or WR250R. Few years ago I had an 07 KLR I liked a lot. You are right, living a life debt free is truly a blessing.
jerrybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #190
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybiker View Post
Sold my ZX10R few months ago. Debating in buying a KLR or WR250R. Few years ago I had an 07 KLR I liked a lot. You are right, living a life debt free is truly a blessing.
The wr250r is an excellent bike, and I am sure if you decide to go that direction you will be happy.That bike has always interested me and I would love to try one.
If you want to tackle more difficult terrain the little WR would be perfect.
Whichever way you go, good luck !!!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #191
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
They have not found any drawbacks at all, you can't beat free horsepower.
They are also going to try an adjustable sprocket to see if it is of any benefit to advance it less than 1 tooth.
He reported that advancing the intake cam lost power.
He is also working on bigger big bore kits.
You know I have been reading about that mod and it just sticks with me that this is too easy and why didn't Kawasaki do this from the begining? I mean, it is free power, cost them nothing, no downside, all upside, so why didn't Kawi do it to start? The only thing I can think of is maybe the valves are opening a bit earlier and risking getting burned up? I do not know, but it just seems to good to be true.

Every other power mod you can find a downside, acceptable or not, jet kit, cost and MPG plus emissions, head work is cost, pipe, cost and noise, etc. This mod, 100% downside free for a 10% gain in the mid-range...seems too good to be true, despite the dyno charts, what happens 10k miles down the road?

I wonder...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #192
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc11 View Post
You know I have been reading about that mod and it just sticks with me that this is too easy and why didn't Kawasaki do this from the begining? I mean, it is free power, cost them nothing, no downside, all upside, so why didn't Kawi do it to start? The only thing I can think of is maybe the valves are opening a bit earlier and risking getting burned up? I do not know, but it just seems to good to be true.

Every other power mod you can find a downside, acceptable or not, jet kit, cost and MPG plus emissions, head work is cost, pipe, cost and noise, etc. This mod, 100% downside free for a 10% gain in the mid-range...seems too good to be true, despite the dyno charts, what happens 10k miles down the road?

I wonder...
It is mentioned that maybe Kawasaki retarded the exhaust cam to help with emissions.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #193
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Is this with a gen 1, 2, or good for both? Might have to give this a shot. I have a big gun exhaust so my results may be different.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #194
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Is this with a gen 1, 2, or good for both? Might have to give this a shot. I have a big gun exhaust so my results may be different.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
The mod is good for both generation Klr's.
They are also making a adjustable cam sprocket so they can try different amounts of advance less than 1 tooth.If that proves out then EM mentioned making them and I am sure offering them for sale.
The test mule they are using is a 2009 that has an oil consumption problem.
Right now the bike is stock other than a uni filter and klx jet kit, but they are talking about doing more testing with more extensive mods.
He also posted dyno data with the airbox door removed and gained a couple horse at higher rpm.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #195
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
This is an impressive development. I'm glad to hear it's applicable to both KLR models (old and new).

I'm hoping you guys get enough early Beta testers to do this mod then go out and do the long, hard miles. Lets see how things hold up long term.

On our DR650's you can get a big bore kit. Expensive and requires expert skill to install. I've ridden a 720cc kit on the DR and was NOT very impressed. Really not much faster (if at all) than my moderately modified stock DR650.

Best of luck with these new mods. They sound awesome!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote