ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #286
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru
 
DirtDad's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Albuquerque NM
Oddometer: 1,580
Very good thread. I have always like the KLR, even though some of my
riding buddies would laugh at me. I am mostly an off road rider, so I have
bikes for that. But, I agree about taking your time and enjoying yourself.
I am not a fast rider on pavement, and nor do I care to be. I think that is why I enjoy my KLR so much. Just never in a hurry, and sooo comfortable. Hell, I even take my wife out on 100 mile rides every now
and then. I am saving my pennies to get the suspension up to speed.
I too have kids and responsibilities to tend too.
__________________
Current rides:
2014 YZ250F 05 KTM300EXC 11 KLR65007KTM450EXC
04 GasGas 280, finally, my perfect stable.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #287
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 394
Here's another guy at age 68 who still rides dual sport bikes, I've had then all, 4 KLR 650's, 3 DRZ 400's, BMW 650 Dakar, 2 650 V-Stroms, and a BMW R1200GSA. At the present time I'm down to one bike a 2013 Honda CRF250L. I will buy another 650 single something as soon as I find what I want, as much as I would like to have another KLR 650 I don't really want another bike without Fuel Injection. Wanting a 650 single when it comes to FI the pickings are slim, KTM 690, BMW 650 GS, Sertao, or the Husqvarna 650 Terra. For me the KTM and the Husqvarna are out, so that leaves the BMW 650. If I find a nice KLR 650, I might not pass it up, they are just too good a bike, but the BMW 650 has the KLR 650 beat in ride, fuel economy, and looks. Just to let you know my riding buddies have been riding their WR250R's on rides like the TAT, Continental Divide, and Forever West rides and are very happy with them, I'm going to see how the 250 Honda does, but still going to buy a 650 single something as my highway bike.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #288
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Here's another guy at age 68 who still rides dual sport bikes, I've had then all, 4 KLR 650's, 3 DRZ 400's, BMW 650 Dakar, 2 650 V-Stroms, and a BMW R1200GSA. At the present time I'm down to one bike a 2013 Honda CRF250L. I will buy another 650 single something as soon as I find what I want, as much as I would like to have another KLR 650 I don't really want another bike without Fuel Injection. Wanting a 650 single when it comes to FI the pickings are slim, KTM 690, BMW 650 GS, Sertao, or the Husqvarna 650 Terra. For me the KTM and the Husqvarna are out, so that leaves the BMW 650. If I find a nice KLR 650, I might not pass it up, they are just too good a bike, but the BMW 650 has the KLR 650 beat in ride, fuel economy, and looks. Just to let you know my riding buddies have been riding their WR250R's on rides like the TAT, Continental Divide, and Forever West rides and are very happy with them, I'm going to see how the 250 Honda does, but still going to buy a 650 single something as my highway bike.

John
I would not discount the Husky Terra or Strada. I've been following along on the owner reviews and various Terra threads. These bikes are looking very good. It may be an "orphan" bike ... but if I were shopping ... I'd be all over it. And that is from a die hard DR650 fan!

You have LOTS of experience on LOTS of bikes. I'm surprised your limiting your choices to F.I. bikes only. Sure, F.I. gives you better MPG and better running at 12,000 ft. But it brings with it lots of NEW and EXPENSIVE complexities. (I've owned F.I. bikes since 2000)

I know the Carb on my DR650 well enough to deal with anything that comes up. In 50,000 miles on that bike ... nothing has come up!

The little bikes are very interesting. A WR250R would be my choice as a 3rd world bike. Down there your pace is much slower, easy going. But in the US I've ridden with a couple different guys riding WR's. Guess what? On any longer rides these guys most always TRUCK their bikes to the area ...
I ride my DR650 there ... all at 80 mph. Sure, the 250 is easier and more nimble off road ... so there the 650's have limits. Lots is down to how one preps their bike ... and of course Rider Skill.

The most amazing thing is just HOW MUCH better a KLR can be from stock.
huge difference. The DR650 gets better too ... but the transformation on the KLR is palpable.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #289
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 394
Adv Grifter, I do like the Terra, but since we don't know where KTM is going to take the Husqvarna's bikes at this time I think I will pass for now. As far as FI goes with today's gasoline it's the only way for me to go, I won't get into all the pros and cons here, but it works for me. I do trailer my bikes and don't do long rides, But may do 5-10 day trips. I'm not interested in running 70-80 mph all day, being first, or having the biggest and fastest dirt throwing bike out there, been there, done that already. You have to remember I'm 68 and can still ride and I want to be able to keep riding for many more years, if I can do that, I'm happy. Now where is my Japanese dual sported 450cc, fuel injected, 6gal fuel tank, street legal bike.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #290
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I would not discount the Husky Terra or Strada. I've been following along on the owner reviews and various Terra threads. These bikes are looking very good. It may be an "orphan" bike ... but if I were shopping ... I'd be all over it. And that is from a die hard DR650 fan!

You have LOTS of experience on LOTS of bikes. I'm surprised your limiting your choices to F.I. bikes only. Sure, F.I. gives you better MPG and better running at 12,000 ft. But it brings with it lots of NEW and EXPENSIVE complexities. (I've owned F.I. bikes since 2000)

I know the Carb on my DR650 well enough to deal with anything that comes up. In 50,000 miles on that bike ... nothing has come up!

The little bikes are very interesting. A WR250R would be my choice as a 3rd world bike. Down there your pace is much slower, easy going. But in the US I've ridden with a couple different guys riding WR's. Guess what? On any longer rides these guys most always TRUCK their bikes to the area ...
I ride my DR650 there ... all at 80 mph. Sure, the 250 is easier and more nimble off road ... so there the 650's have limits. Lots is down to how one preps their bike ... and of course Rider Skill.

The most amazing thing is just HOW MUCH better a KLR can be from stock.
huge difference. The DR650 gets better too ... but the transformation on the KLR is palpable.

I suspect the Wr250r would be a great lightweight Adventure bike with a heavy dose of singletrack woods riding thrown in the mix.
Michigan probably has the largest trail system in the world (I would guess) and I bet the versatility of the Wrr would work well here and still be able to be ridden to and from the trail system and all with great fuel economy and low maintenance along with longevity.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #291
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,190
We have fuel transfer once again.

Ims sent the replacement vacuum transfer pump so I installed it today.It took awhile to prime and start pumping.I actually helped it get started by sucking some fuel up with my mouth till I seen it in the line and then the pump finally took over and pumped fuel.
You can see the fuel coming out of the line that lays in the petcock well.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #292
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: St. George, UT
Oddometer: 740
I guess Gas Guy my biggest fear is that I have owned the BMW GSA. I have actually tried the cheap route once. I found a wrecked Vee Strom that a guy was selling for $2k. It had mostly cosmetic damage but also when I would let go of the bars at speed it would dive to the right so it obviously had other issues also. After riding a beemer then going to the Strom the Strom felt cluncky and not balanced well. I owned it less than a month, sold it and bought another GSA. So my fear is I will buy a KLR and be dissapointed also and be back at the same place even though I know the KLR is nothing like the GSA. I guess I need to find a place that will let me test ride one before I make the plunge. I am actually trying to trade my 09 530 XCW for a KLR. Maybe that will work out..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #293
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I guess Gas Guy my biggest fear is that I have owned the BMW GSA. I have actually tried the cheap route once. I found a wrecked Vee Strom that a guy was selling for $2k. It had mostly cosmetic damage but also when I would let go of the bars at speed it would dive to the right so it obviously had other issues also. After riding a beemer then going to the Strom the Strom felt cluncky and not balanced well. I owned it less than a month, sold it and bought another GSA. So my fear is I will buy a KLR and be dissapointed also and be back at the same place even though I know the KLR is nothing like the GSA. I guess I need to find a place that will let me test ride one before I make the plunge. I am actually trying to trade my 09 530 XCW for a KLR. Maybe that will work out..
Yeah, I seen your add and noticed the Ktm guys beating you up pretty bad !! Lol !!

If you are the type of guy that needs a bike that inspires, the Klr isn't going to do it like the Euro bikes.
The Klr is more like a tool and the ride becomes more about you and the scenery and the places.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #294
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!
 
Beemermcr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
The Klr is more like a tool and the ride becomes more about you and the scenery and the places.
Well said!! And should be true for most bikes ------
__________________
Paul Baird
Sandy, UT
2013 Husky/BMW/KTM Terra
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #295
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: St. George, UT
Oddometer: 740
I think that is one of the reasons I am even considering the KLR. I feel like I really need to get back to the basics. The GSA's have been awesome but they are very complex and expensive. At least complex to me. Some may find them easy to work on. Seems like most owners think the KLR is a joy to work on and fun. What I need in my life right now is something that gets good fuel mileage and basically is a jack of all trades. Seems like the KLR does everything. You can't really find may ride reports going somewhere than at KLR hasn't been.
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #296
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I think that is one of the reasons I am even considering the KLR. I feel like I really need to get back to the basics. The GSA's have been awesome but they are very complex and expensive. At least complex to me. Some may find them easy to work on. Seems like most owners think the KLR is a joy to work on and fun. What I need in my life right now is something that gets good fuel mileage and basically is a jack of all trades. Seems like the KLR does everything. You can't really find may ride reports going somewhere than at KLR hasn't been.
Absolutly, the Klr is fun to work on and it is rewarding being able to fix anything on it anywhere.It brings another level of freedom and independence with it.

If you want to read some good ride reports that are very" KLR lifestyle"inspiring then search for JETTN JIM or PAREPIN on Advrider and read their ride reports.
They are the real deal as Klr Adventure riders go, and entertaining as well !!!
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #297
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,190
Rebuild kit for Mikuni transfer pump.

Winderosa makes a rebuild kit for the pump.I found them at a local shop for $5.99 and I installed it in my original pump and verified it works again so now I have a backup pump ready to go.
Also, a friend told me that Eddie Sanders Racing sells Alcohol rebuild kits for these pumps which should hold up to the Ethanol in our fuel better.I will have to call them and verify that info and get pricing.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #298
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I think that is one of the reasons I am even considering the KLR. I feel like I really need to get back to the basics. The GSA's have been awesome but they are very complex and expensive. At least complex to me. Some may find them easy to work on. Seems like most owners think the KLR is a joy to work on and fun. What I need in my life right now is something that gets good fuel mileage and basically is a jack of all trades. Seems like the KLR does everything. You can't really find may ride reports going somewhere than at KLR hasn't been.
Riding a bent bike ... then judging it, not good. Vstrom riders everywhere would point out that a well set up Vstrom is equal to ... and more reliable than, any BMW GS. I've ridden for 15 years with GS riders. There are some stories. it's a great bike but has a few fatal errors from time to time. 90K miles on my '02 Vstrom.

A KLR may not float your boat in terms of power and braking compared to your GS. But if your GS ends up on top of you, you'll wish for a KLR .

2000 miles into Mexico, we just lifted up this R12GS so rider could squeeze out.

As mentioned, the KLR is a "smell the roses" sort of bike. A well set up KLR can be a magic carpet to adventure but won't get adrenalin pumping like your KTM would.

No, you won't be cruising at 85 to 90 MPH on your KLR like you can on your GS. And the KLR will need help if its to carry a load like your GS can.
But in any sort of off road scenario, the KLR wins.

Then, figure in COSTS. Parts replacement et al. Even insurance and registration is lower on the KLR.

If you're looking at other smaller singles, check out the Husqvarna Terra and Strada. Also, check out my current ride, Suzuki DR650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Absolutly, the Klr is fun to work on and it is rewarding being able to fix anything on it anywhere.It brings another level of freedom and independence with it.

If you want to read some good ride reports that are very" KLR lifestyle"inspiring then search for JETTN JIM or PAREPIN on Advrider and read their ride reports.
They are the real deal as Klr Adventure riders go, and entertaining as well !!!
My favorite Ride Report starring a KLR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526389
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #299
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,190
AdvGrifter,
Thanks for the link to the Ride report, it looks like a good one.
When I get some time I will be sure to read it.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #300
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
.

A KLR may not float your boat in terms of power and braking compared to your GS. But if your GS ends up on top of you, you'll wish for a KLR .

I dont know about the GS's- but I also have an R1150R and it loaded is much easier to lift than a KLR. The cylinder holds it up and the COG is low due to the motor. A loaded KLR, panniers, tent and sleeping gear, top box and a tank full of gas is nasty!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014