Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #301
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Absolutly, the Klr is fun to work on and it is rewarding being able to fix anything on it anywhere.It brings another level of freedom and independence with it.

If you want to read some good ride reports that are very" KLR lifestyle"inspiring then search for JETTN JIM or PAREPIN on Advrider and read their ride reports.
They are the real deal as Klr Adventure riders go, and entertaining as well !!!
My ultimate bike would be the KTM 990"S" or 950"S" but from what I hear they can be a bear to work on. I do however think that bike would put a smile on my face though. I have ridden one of my friends up and down the street and it's a powerful bike. I wouldn't have to worry about that issue for sure..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #302
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
My ultimate bike would be the KTM 990"S" or 950"S" but from what I hear they can be a bear to work on. I do however think that bike would put a smile on my face though. I have ridden one of my friends up and down the street and it's a powerful bike. I wouldn't have to worry about that issue for sure..
I have lusted after that bike since 2004 also, but so far my sensible side has always managed to overcome the lust.
But never say never. Lol.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #303
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I dont know about the GS's- but I also have an R1150R and it loaded is much easier to lift than a KLR. The cylinder holds it up and the COG is low due to the motor. A loaded KLR, panniers, tent and sleeping gear, top box and a tank full of gas is nasty!
If the Klr had panniers on it should not be too bad.The panniers usually help some.At least they did on the Gs.I have picked up all my gs's many times and with panniers it kept the bike up some, and easier to get up.

Shortly after getting this 2008 Klr, I dropped it on the side of a dirt road while stopping to look at a map and I had just filled the Ims tank which holds 10-11 gallons of fuel along with the top box and no side panniers.It was reeeeaaal heavy.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #304
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
If the Klr had panniers on it should not be too bad.The panniers usually help some.At least they did on the Gs.I have picked up all my gs's many times and with panniers it kept the bike up some, and easier to get up.

Shortly after getting this 2008 Klr, I dropped it on the side of a dirt road while stopping to look at a map and I had just filled the Ims tank which holds 10-11 gallons of fuel along with the top box and no side panniers.It was reeeeaaal heavy.
Panniers add to the high up weight. Now if ones adrenaline is high, both bikes come up quite easily! Backing up to lift, sometimes the KLR will slide away as the wheels do not have enough contact which makes it more difficult.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #305
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Panniers add to the high up weight. Now if ones adrenaline is high, both bikes come up quite easily! Backing up to lift, sometimes the KLR will slide away as the wheels do not have enough contact which makes it more difficult.
I see what you are saying.
I meant that with the boxes the bike doesnt lay completely flat and I can get a better hold on it by backing into it and I dont have to lift from as low.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #306
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Hid adjustment

The other night I went out to test out the Hid low beam that I installed for the first time.

Right away I headed for Hines drive which is totaly dark with no street lights and it is wooded.I knew right away it would need to be adjusted down and the second car I passed verfied that by flashing me.

I rode home and pulled the windshield off and adjusted it all the way down and shot back down Hines drive and the lights were good.I passed lots of cars and not one had a problem with me and the Hid puts out lots of nice white light that also extends out to the sides.

I could probably adjust it up up a little but I am happy with it as is for now.

Here is a pic of the Hid low beam only down a dark wooded gravel road.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 02:45 PM
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #307
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Gas Guy as you know I was about to trade my KTM 530 for a KLR. I had never even ridden a KLR until this past week and was hoping it was the bike for me. I wanted something that I can take wherever I want be it Road or Dirt and it seems that the KLR is the do it all bike. I took up an offer from an inmate to test ride his KLR and his KTM 950 back to back. I put about 50 miles on each bike, did both some off road and some tarmac and it was a no brainer for me. I can really see how the KLR will appeal to the masses. Even this inmate told me that he really likes his KLR but for me I liked everthing better about the KTM. Well except maybe the maintainence. I realize the KTM will require more love and work but man o man did that bike put a smile on my face..... So the 530 I will keep and the pennies I will be a saving. It may take me 6 months of saving so I can pay cash but my next ride will be a KTM Adv.. Thanks for all the info. Still enjoy seeing all you are doing to your KLR. Your gonna have one amazing bike for sure.. Good luck..
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #308
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Gas Guy as you know I was about to trade my KTM 530 for a KLR. I had never even ridden a KLR until this past week and was hoping it was the bike for me. I wanted something that I can take wherever I want be it Road or Dirt and it seems that the KLR is the do it all bike. I took up an offer from an inmate to test ride his KLR and his KTM 950 back to back. I put about 50 miles on each bike, did both some off road and some tarmac and it was a no brainer for me. I can really see how the KLR will appeal to the masses. Even this inmate told me that he really likes his KLR but for me I liked everthing better about the KTM. Well except maybe the maintainence. I realize the KTM will require more love and work but man o man did that bike put a smile on my face..... So the 530 I will keep and the pennies I will be a saving. It may take me 6 months of saving so I can pay cash but my next ride will be a KTM Adv.. Thanks for all the info. Still enjoy seeing all you are doing to your KLR. Your gonna have one amazing bike for sure.. Good luck..
Yes, that Ktm 950/990 you find will be an awsome machine for sure.I know you will have a great time with it.
Like I said, I have been eyeballing them for years and if the right deal came up at the right time I could be in trouble. Lol.
A friend and I went and looked at one a few years ago, a 950 with carb and Akropovich exhaust and when he fired it up it was music to the ears. What a sweet V-twin.
Good luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #309
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Ims Pro Series pegs with rubber inserts

Tonight I dug up some old Bmw 1100/1150 Gs footpeg rubber inserts I had in the toolbox and trimmed them a bit so they would fit into the slots of the Ims pegs I had.
Then I drilled holes in the little rubber lugs on the bottom side and ran small zip ties through them so I don't loose them.
We will see how they do, and I can always remove the rubbers for offroad.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #310
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Tonight I dug up some old Bmw 1100/1150 Gs footpeg rubber inserts I had in the toolbox and trimmed them a bit so they would fit into the slots of the Ims pegs I had.
Then I drilled holes in the little rubber lugs on the bottom side and ran small zip ties through them so I don't loose them.
We will see how they do, and I can always remove the rubbers for offroad.
From the looks of those they look like bicycle brake pads.. Great idea..
Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #311
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Test ride with new Ims pump

Now that the new Ims lift pump is in the tank, I grabbed a one gallon gas can and strapped it on in case I needed it and took off to run the bike out of fuel and see how far I could go after reserve and then how much fuel it takes to fill the tank so I will know how much actual usable fuel capacity I have.
I rode with the petcock in the on position until the bike stumbled, then I switched it to reserve and reset my trip meter.
After 89 miles the bike stumbled and stalled on me so I pulled over and rocked the bike around and started it back up and rode to the gas station for a total of 94 miles on reserve, but probably could have made 100 miles, especially if I layed the bike down on the left side.
The tank took 9.7 gallons of fuel, so that is my usable fuel capacity if the lift pump works.

I already know that when the lift pump doesn't work that I can go about 36 miles after reserve and have a usable capacity of a little over 8 gallons.

So the lift pump only appears to add about 1 and 1/2 gallons to the total capacity because the first test with the bad pump I did not rock the bike back and forth when I ran out to get a little more fuel and when I filled up I didn't fill it quite as high up to the filler neck as I did today.

I will just plan on looking for gas when I have to switch to reserve, and then I know I will have 36-40 miles no matter what and probably 100 miles if I need to, and this way I will always be around a 8 gallon fill up and capacity with a range of approximately 320-400 miles with an average mpg between 40-50.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #312
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Hey Gas Guy what Pelican cases are you running on your KLR? Do you like them? Also what did you use for mounting brackets? Do the Pelicans have enough storage for you? I have never owned them before but know they are rugged.

Photo of me picking up my new ride that I traded for my 09 530XCW.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #313
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Hey Gas Guy what Pelican cases are you running on your KLR? Do you like them? Also what did you use for mounting brackets? Do the Pelicans have enough storage for you? I have never owned them before but know they are rugged.

Photo of me picking up my new ride that I traded for my 09 530XCW.

That is a sweet machine, I love the black frames !!
I have the complete 3 piece Caribou Case Luggage set, with the Caribou racks.They are a real sweet set up and go on or off in seconds and they crash better than aluminum.
The side cases are the huge 40 liter Skb cases, which is an option on their website.Lots of room.

Depending on what you are doing you may want to consider soft luggage from Wolfman or the unique Great Basin bag from Giant Loop.

If you want a great priced aluminum set of panniers check out the Happy Trails versions in black powder coat and preferably 7 or 7 1/2 " wide, if they have enough storage.Or you can go 9"wide.
I think the black powdercoated Happy trail panniers look the best out of all the panniers on the Klr.

Jesse makes the absolute best aluminum panniers but they are pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Good luck with your Klr and keep us posted !!!

GAS GUY screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 08:09 PM
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #314
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
350 (or more?) is fantastic range. Most RTW riders are lucky to have 200 to 225 miles range. With a 9 gallon fuel load my only concern would be weight when riding in deep sand or tricky technical riding ... or worst of all ... MUD! Have you loaded up the bike, filled the tank, and taken her on some rutted up dirt roads yet? Hows the balance? On a heavy bike steep and loose downhills can be challenging (for me anyway) .

My guess is, that in situations where you have known fueling points ... you may want to fill only half tank or so to keep weight a bit lower in off road situations.

But out on the open road you'll need an "Easy Leaker" to allow you to use all that range in one go. (That's the device the IBA guys use, a Pee tube run down your leg).

I prefer to stop more often (every 100-150 miles) to stretch, stay loose, rest my eyes. On tour I generally ride 10 hours a day ... and have done 5, 400 mile days in a row. Not bad for a DR650. Only my former DL1000 Vstrom was better.

Mixing up roads and terrain really makes things more interesting and challenging. Takes more time but well worth it. If you ride with buddies you'll be the most popular guy out there with your Super Tanker!

I love your sticker!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #315
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
350 (or more?) is fantastic range. Most RTW riders are lucky to have 200 to 225 miles range. With a 9 gallon fuel load my only concern would be weight when riding in deep sand or tricky technical riding ... or worst of all ... MUD! Have you loaded up the bike, filled the tank, and taken her on some rutted up dirt roads yet? Hows the balance? On a heavy bike steep and loose downhills can be challenging (for me anyway) .

My guess is, that in situations where you have known fueling points ... you may want to fill only half tank or so to keep weight a bit lower in off road situations.

But out on the open road you'll need an "Easy Leaker" to allow you to use all that range in one go. (That's the device the IBA guys use, a Pee tube run down your leg).

I prefer to stop more often (every 100-150 miles) to stretch, stay loose, rest my eyes. On tour I generally ride 10 hours a day ... and have done 5, 400 mile days in a row. Not bad for a DR650. Only my former DL1000 Vstrom was better.

Mixing up roads and terrain really makes things more interesting and challenging. Takes more time but well worth it. If you ride with buddies you'll be the most popular guy out there with your Super Tanker!

I love your sticker!
Yesterday I rode some rutted 2 track with gravel and rocks (some baseball size here and there to deflect your front tire) with a full tank and luggage and my Anakee tires with 35 lbs of air in them and you definatly better not make any mistakes. Lol.
But I plan on doing alot of slab and easy gravel riding for awhile so I will stay in road mode for awhile but yes, when its time for more gnarly offroad conditions it will be aired down knobbies, and a few gallons of gas.