Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #331
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
AMK is a well known TROLL

He's an idiot, plain and simple.
If you are brave enough to repeat these statements without internet cover, tet-a-tet, please, use a PM to arrange a personal meeting/discussion.

And I am not sorry if my opinion related to a machine has hurt anybody personally.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #332
apexeric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Took my first ride today on my new to me 2008 KLR 705.I received it Thursday but put it on the lift table to sort out a few little issues it had before I rode it.
I have had a few gen 1 Klr's before, but never a gen 2, and they have appealed to me since they were introduced.
The Gsa is an amazing road bike but I want to slow down and ride more dual sport and whenever I was on the Gsa I always just ended up pounding pavement.
Secondly, I am paying down debt.I am tired of bills, and just want some simplicity in my life.I am going to leave the high tech, expensive bikes for the rich.
So, this is the start of a new adventure and lifestyle. "Less is more"
The first shake down ride went well and I am happy with the bike.It will take a little while to adapt back to the thumper but I plan on dedicating to it as my everyday bike.
A pic from todays first ride.

Dear GAS GUY,

I have followed your thread since you first posted. I purchased a KLR for the same reasons that you described above. I chose to follow your thread because I was interested by and wanted to learn how to maintain and upgrade my KLR.

While I have no doubt that a motorcycle with a larger displacement will be faster on the highway than a KLR and that a motorcycle with a smaller frame and displacement will be better in the woods than a KLR, I am quite satisfied with the ability of my KLR to travel back country roads and dirt roads at or somewhat above the posted speed limits.

My KLR fits me better than any motorcycle that I have had previously. I certainly can't attribute that to one brand being better than another. But, I do know that I can ride for longer periods of time on this bike because it is so comfortable.

I appreciate all of the time that you have put into posting this thread and look forward to more of your insight.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #333
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
If you are brave enough to repeat these statements without internet cover, tet-a-tet, please, use a PM to arrange a personal meeting/discussion.

And I am not sorry if my opinion related to a machine has hurt anybody personally.
We do so l appreciate your sensitivity and well informed intentions. Your single minded and brave limitations are so very adequately expressed in your posts. So glad the subtleties of some posts pass you by. Your character shines through!

Most admirable, indeed.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 05:51 PM
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #334
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexeric View Post
Dear GAS GUY,

I have followed your thread since you first posted. I purchased a KLR for the same reasons that you described above. I chose to follow your thread because I was interested by and wanted to learn how to maintain and upgrade my KLR.

While I have no doubt that a motorcycle with a larger displacement will be faster on the highway than a KLR and that a motorcycle with a smaller frame and displacement will be better in the woods than a KLR, I am quite satisfied with the ability of my KLR to travel back country roads and dirt roads at or somewhat above the posted speed limits.

My KLR fits me better than any motorcycle that I have had previously. I certainly can't attribute that to one brand being better than another. But, I do know that I can ride for longer periods of time on this bike because it is so comfortable.

I appreciate all of the time that you have put into posting this thread and look forward to more of your insight.
Eric,
I am glad to hear you are enjoying the thread, and one of the main reasons for it is to inspire other like minded or open minded riders.
I plan on continuing on with the thread and posting updates and rides as they happen.

I just walked in from the garage and the water pump rebuild is complete and the KLR is ready for the morning commute to work, and then I will ride it out to pick up a part for my Gas Gas trials bike after work and make sure everything is good to go.

And as you mentioned the ergonomics on the KLR are about as good as it gets, and can be tweaked to perfection.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #335
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I really enjoyed reading this thread.
I have to ask though, just what is it about the KLR's that people like?
From reading lots of things here, the bikes seem heavy, under powered, trouble prone with built in bugs, and with poor suspension parts.

I had a dr650 which I thought was very good on the street (besides the seat), ok in the dirt, but heavy enough to hurt you badly in a fall, at 360 pounds.
The one I had came with some suspension upgrades, and I added a pumper carb, and it was smooth and cool running, and seemed bullet proof.
But way to heavy even without any luggage on it for the dirt.

So I just can not figure out why the KLR would be so popular.
Its got built in problems,
Its not a very good street bike (low power?),
Its too heavy for the dirt,

And people love them and ride them all over the place.
What gives?
The simple answer is, well set up and in the sweet spot, they are fun to ride.

A few years ago I picked up a lightly used '07 for a song to see if I liked Adventure Riding and much to my surprise, 20,000 miles later, I still enjoy riding the thing. I tried a 950 and found it was just too much, too often, and I've been a long term KTM guy.

I could tell you about my mods and how the gear ratios are perfect and so on and so forth but reality is that on the lumpy, bumpy paved roads and dirt roads that define riding in Vermont the bike work so well that you don't notice the bike at all and get completely absorbed in the ride. It's all about the ride.

Other stuff I like:

- it's the best starting bike I've ever had. It starts instantly, every time.
- it's the best shifting bike I've ridden.
- it has the most leg room...
- it's the most reliable bike ...
- it's the cheapest vehicle to own and operate...

They are not perfect and no doubt other thumpers could be set up to run as well but I have to admit the KLR is much better than I expected.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #336
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,535

Well I got to test my limitations on the KlR this weekend, on a 500 mile D/S ride in Moab. Was the KLR the perfect bike for this ride? Of course
not, at least not for me. But, it was the only bike I could take at this time. I took it places that it surely is not intended to be be ridden in.
But, it survived. What I found is that I did get fatigued alot quicker, than I would have on my KTM EXC, simply cause of the suspension and weight.
Power wise it was prefect for me. It was not as much fun as it would have been on a lighter bike, but it sure was comfortable on the less technical dirt roads. I really like my KLR. It is what it is.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #337
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Hey Gas-Guy,
have you noticed any improvement from adding the rear shock remote reservoir?
I've been searching the net and so on, haven't found one yet (not from a supplier who ships outside of the lower 48, anyway)
thanks
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 AM   #338
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Quote:
From reading lots of things here, the bikes seem heavy, under powered, trouble prone with built in bugs, and with poor suspension parts.

I had a dr650 which I thought was very good on the street (besides the seat), ok in the dirt, but heavy enough to hurt you badly in a fall, at 360 pounds.
The one I had came with some suspension upgrades, and I added a pumper carb, and it was smooth and cool running, and seemed bullet proof.

What gives?
I like mine and have a few trips planned with it. Its all a compromise. The klr in my opinion is a viable choice as an adventure bike because it has moderately good off road ability but is still easily able to do long days of pavement.

Compared to a true dirt bike its terrible off road. Compared to a gold wing its terrible on road. If, however, you want to pack a bunch of luggage and explore some back country a bit it's very good at that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #339
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99 View Post
Hey Gas-Guy,
have you noticed any improvement from adding the rear shock remote reservoir?
I've been searching the net and so on, haven't found one yet (not from a supplier who ships outside of the lower 48, anyway)
thanks
Yes,for sure, it is working nicely.
Last week I was running around rough dirt and gravel roads with loaded sidecases along with 10 gallons of fuel and my 230 lbs. so I cranked up the compression clicker to number 8 which is the max compression setting and it firmed it up nicely.
Then the other day I was riding around with only the top box and a few gallons of fuel and noticed the stiffness of the suspension over bumps because I left it on the max setting.And I was not even thinking about it,but normally those same bumps are softer on the minimum 1 setting and it came to my attention.

Also,with the reservoir I have more fluid so It will not break down as fast and it will stay cooler and not fade.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #340
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:

What gives?
The only people who feel that the KLR is a poor street bike are those from sport-bike backgrounds. A good street bike is comfortable to ride for long distances, carries a load and gets good fuel economy. This requires a long(er) wheel base, relaxed steering geometry, comfortable seat, enough leg room, and a good bar-seat-peg ergo geometry. The KLR has all of this. It is a good street bike. It is not a good SPORT bike.

It is also not a dirt bike. It is a dual sport, and has enough power for both the highway and the dirt/gravel. If you take it places where you can drop it on your leg (rough desert or forest single track) you can get hurt. Most people who ride these places ride a dirt bike. And although it is heavy, any bike can hurt you in a fall - it depends on the fall. The KLR is an "all roads adventure bike" that will handle forest service roads, gravel, and two track quite well, as well as easy single track. It does so much relatively well that people buy it and just ride the wheels off of it.

The KLR is the definition of a large, old school, DS thumper. It will carrry lots of gear, will handle two-up, and has long, long range. It is heavy (435 lbs. wet), but then so is a KTM 640 ADV (417 lbs wet). Lots of people don't need anything more. If you do, there are lots of other, newer design choices out there.

P.S. Over the past few years I've noticed a trend in these ADVRider forums. People are trying to re-define a Dual Sport as a fully capable dirt bike that has enough power or transmission gearing to run on the road (highway) between the trails. WRONG definition. That is a new KTM 350/500 - an enduro race bike with a great transmission. A dual sport will run two-track/dirt roads/gravel roads/paved back roads well, and highways and single-track trails at the edges of its performance envelope. And a DS will do all this while carrying a passenger or 90 lbs. of gear or both with a range of 180-350 miles. The KLR runs highway better than most DS bikes, and trails more poorly. This is the nature of the KLR DS compromise relative to the DR (more in the middle) and the KTM 640 ADV (better in the dirt).

P.P.S. Newer DS designs (TE610/630, KTM 690e, Husky TR650 Terra (new/old hybrid?)) take us beyond the KLR focus of this discussion. The BMW F650GS (19") or Dakar (21") thumpers, however, are relavent old school thumpers that are even more highway biased than the KLR.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 01:20 PM
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #341
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Over the past few years I've noticed a trend in these ADVRider forums. People are trying to re-define a Dual Sport as a fully capable dirt bike.
Ditto. Those of us that have been around since the Honda 305 with knobbies was a hot ticket for hillclimbing grew up thinking of a Dual Sport (Dual Purpose) as a compromise bike.

I still like to jab my friends by encouraging them to buy a dirtbike with lights if they are not good enough to handle a KLR/XRL/DRZ etc....
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #342
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
P.S. Over the past few years I've noticed a trend in these ADVRider forums. People are trying to re-define a Dual Sport as a fully capable dirt bike that has enough power or transmission gearing to run on the road (highway) between the trails. WRONG definition. That is a new KTM 350/500 - an enduro race bike with a great transmission. A dual sport will run two-track/dirt roads/gravel roads/paved back roads well, and highways and single-track trails at the edges of its performance envelope. And a DS will do all this while carrying a passenger or 90 lbs. of gear or both with a range of 180-350 miles. The KLR runs highway better than most DS bikes, and trails more poorly. This is the nature of the KLR DS compromise relative to the DR (more in the middle) and the KTM 640 ADV (better in the dirt).
Excellent definition of what an Adventure Dual Sport really is ... or should be.

What's happened here on ADV Rider is a younger crowd of Hot Shot race guys have showed up in the last few years. They want RACE BIKES to do ADV riding on and many despise old school Japanese Dual Sports. Those race based bikes have limitations too. They want Max performance off road and road/highway ability is secondary, blasting through single track at race pace is more important. Dual sport riders take things a bit easier. (yes, we're slow! )

The key to me is: Travel Capable? .. OR NOT?

Most modern, race tech based bikes ... great as they are, make VERY POOR travel bikes. They involve lots of compromises, like:
1. Lack of comfort
2. Lack of Range
3. Poor luggage carrying capability
4. More frequent and rigorous maintenance
5. Poor at high freeway speeds for 10 hours a day
6. Poor Two Up

Sure, Old School dual sports can't blast through single track or run the Dakar or do Baja. But the KLR (or DR650) can do a Hell of a lot more: Like go RTW, or commute 100 miles daily, or do long dual sport rides through several states for a month, fully loaded, two up.

I'm doing a 5 day ride coming up. Mostly KTM and Husky riders involved. Most of the guys are 150 miles from the start point. They ALL are trucking their bikes there. I'm 400 miles away. I'll be riding there ... then ride the 800 mile loop, and will ride back home another 400 miles.
Try that on a KTM 500EXC

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 02:35 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #343
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Seems like the New Dual Sport crowd seems to be getting into way more technical riding. Not just Fire Roads and 2 track but gnarly single track and goat trails. My opinon of Dual sport is old school I guess. I don't want to ride a KTM 350-500 for a trip to Alaska. I know there are some that would but I want a bike that would be more comfy on the road and ok in the dirt. But it has to have the ability to be ridden 2 up and be able to haul your gear for camping off the bike.
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #344
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,594
I sold my F800GS a couple of weeks ago and am down to just a DR650, and loving it. I've had the DR for a few years now and have it farkled the way I want it. It sure is great to no longer have to worry about fuel injectors, ABS computers, and all that stuff that can let you down in ways you can't recover from cheaply.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #345
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,023
First KLR on the COBDR

My 08 KLR the first to do the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route, last August on the inaugural ride with Touratech-USA, Butler MC Maps and others. You can see it Sterling Noren's video, and read about the ride in the current, May/June issue of RoadRUNNER magazine.

Photo copyright Jonathan Beck

Here's our campsite in the mountains above Buena Vista.

Yeah, it's an oil burner. But the bigger problem was keeping on top of the air filter, a serious weak spot.

byways screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 08:30 PM Reason: add photo
byways is online now   Reply With Quote