User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #361
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Thanks Gas Guy.

It did not sell so I decided to keep riding it. It is set up pretty well perfectly for my use.
I did sell the sweet F 800 gs!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #362
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,786
Woodville, Ohio

Today I rode down to the Speedtrap Diner on Route 20 in Woodville, Ohio for lunch.

It is a neat little diner in rural Ohio with a 50's Motif.They have lots of Route 66, old car and bike, Elvis, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe and all the cool old memorabilia.

Speedtrap Diner is a fitting name because you better not go over 25 mph through this town or the local police will have you for sure.Its been that way as long as I can remember.

At the other end,they also have an ice cream shop.

Also had a huge Bald Eagle flying along side me out in an adjacent field as I thumped along a country back road in Genoa, Ohio.

The Bald Eagles must be making a strong comeback in the Lake Erie Region since this is the third one I have come across in this area in the past year.Growing up in this area in the 70's and 80's I never saw them.

Last year I came across one right at the edge of the road feeding on an animal.I stopped right by him and then he flew up on top a telephone pole right above me and I photographed him.That was an impressive sight.

While in this neck of the woods I always ride through my home town of GENOA,OHIO.
Sometimes I stop in and see my Uncle Kenny.
He just got his BSA 650 THUNDERBOLT back from getting freshened up,so I had to stop in and see it.
I think it is a 1970 and he bought it brand new.
It really is an amazing example of a vintage British Motorcycle !!!

The last time I sat on this bike I was probably a couple years old.

He has alot of cool old memerabilia sitting around .
This old TRIUMPH moped caught my eye.
If I am not mistaken,he said it was a 1952.

It has a 1987 GERMAN plate on it,which makes it even more interesting.
He was told it belonged to a U.S. Serviceman stationed in Germany,and then it came home and sat in a barn for years before the guy he bought it from cleaned it up.

A couple of years ago he picked up this old INDIAN mini bike also.

I did not get any pictures of his old HARLEY,but it is a 1972 Ironhead SPORTSTER with a old school flame paint job.
Next time I get down there I will snap off a few shots of the custom Sportster.

Hopefully I can get out on a multi day ride soon, I have just been busy with Trials lately with another event tomorrow out in Metamora, Michigan.The weather has also been crazy lately and slowing the spring cleaning around the house.LOL.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 08:54 AM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #363
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Bald Eagle

Here is a shot of the Eagle I saw last year after he flew up on the pole.

IBA # 23,716

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 10:50 AM
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #364
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
The Bald Eagles must be making a strong comeback in the Lake Erie Region
I think they are just making a strong comeback period. When I was a kid around Middle Tennessee, I don't recall ever seeing them, and no one was talking about them, but in the past 5 years, any time I'm riding with someone, hiking, or just outdoors, every one says "I know where a pairs of Bald Eagles are nesting" and I've seen at least 8 nested pairs, and 4-5 young birds. Really neat stuff.

Looks like a cool ride you had! Had to attend a wedding today, and it was pouring down, probably not going to get out at all this weekend.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #365
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,181
I switched from a KTM 950 Adventure to a KLR and I'm loving it! I'm doing stuff off road "With Joy And Abandon" I never, ever would have tried on the KTM lest I end up beneath the behemoth.

Bald eagles are indeed amking a comeback. We often see them in the skies around this area of upstate New York. There's an area where the town takes fresh roadkill (deer for the most part...they don't need to make the comeback they're making, thankyouverymuch) for the Eagles to chow down. There are several nesting and apparently breeding in that area. (it's supposed to be a secret but my next-door-neighbor is the town highway commish.)
It's fun to take field glasses and go watch them.

That's a killer pic!

Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #366
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Sandlescout,
I also saw one in Tennessee 2 years ago after leaving Deals Gap and enroute to Iron Horse MC lodge along a river.He flew up and perched in a tree.I doubled back and got another quick look before he flew off.

Chuckracer,
Last year on the way to Maine I had one flying above me in Lake Placid, New York.

I love seeing the wildlife, it makes my day to see an Eagle or a Bear.
In the last few years I have gotten the pleasure of seeing a bear in Northern Michigan, Cades Cove in the Smoky's and multiple bears in Cross Fork, Pennsylvania.

You are right about the deer, way too many.
Even on yesterdays ride I saw a herd of them in a field in the middle of the day.That seems to be the norm on most rides.They are just everywhere.
IBA # 23,716
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #367
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Sandlescout,
I also saw one in Tennessee 2 years ago after leaving Deals Gap and enroute to Iron Horse MC lodge along a river.He flew up and perched in a tree.I doubled back and got another quick look before he flew off.

Chuckracer,
Last year on the way to Maine I had one flying above me in Lake Placid, New York.

I love seeing the wildlife, it makes my day to see an Eagle or a Bear.
In the last few years I have gotten the pleasure of seeing a bear in Northern Michigan, Cades Cove in the Smoky's and multiple bears in Cross Fork, Pennsylvania.

You are right about the deer, way too many.
Even on yesterdays ride I saw a herd of them in a field in the middle of the day.That seems to be the norm on most rides.They are just everywhere.
Fantastic to see & hear about the Eagles! I remember seeing them when riding through the Black Hills in S. Dakota years ago. We don't see them in California much, maybe in the high Sierra in very remote areas? ... but we do get all kinds of Hawks and other birds of prey.

Near my house is some wetland areas linked to San Francisco Bay. It's common to see HUGE Blue Herons, Egrets and other beauties gigging Frogs there. The big Blue Herons are truly stunning and were at risk just a decade ago.

But as you guys have noted, the biggest hazard are Deer. Way over populated in California with few predators around Urban areas. We get Mountain Lion, but as soon as they are spotted the Cops shoot them dead.

No wolves. Lots of Coyotes but they don't take many Deer. Deer are a major hazard here for riders. On certain roads you can have 6 deer crossings in just 10 or 15 miles. At night it can be super treacherous.

Homeowners are not fans of Deer either ... as they EAT everything. Veggie gardens, Roses and more. I have NO idea what the politically correct approach would be here ... but our riders are KILLED every year from hitting Deer. Even a CHP hit a Deer a year or two ago ...he survived.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #368
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I have NO idea what the politically correct approach would be here ...
F%ck "politically correct". Make venison and fertilizer.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #369
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
F%ck "politically correct". Make venison and fertilizer.
Many do just that. But hunting areas are FAR from Urban areas where so many Deer now reside. Only thing that cuts their population is car strikes.

If you started shooting in my neighborhood they'd lock you up with Charlie Manson ... and his good friend Bubba.

Funny, you can drive the freeway in my county and see Deer hanging out on the hillsides on either side. A lucky Bob Cat or Lion may get one or two Deer ... but Cats are rare now ... hunted to near extinction ... by US ... for simply living in their territory ... which we've taken from them.
(yes, I like Big Cats!)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #370
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Many do just that. But hunting areas are FAR from Urban areas where so many Deer now reside. Only thing that cuts their population is car strikes.

If you started shooting in my neighborhood they'd lock you up with Charlie Manson ... and his good friend Bubba.

Funny, you can drive the freeway in my county and see Deer hanging out on the hillsides on either side. A lucky Bob Cat or Lion may get one or two Deer ... but Cats are rare now ... hunted to near extinction ... by US ... for simply living in their territory ... which we've taken from them.
(yes, I like Big Cats!)
I hear ya, same with Wolves.Man isn't happy til he slaughters them all, and he is so full of hate and greed that he doesn't understand the consequences and the unbalance.
IBA # 23,716
Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #371
D_A
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:

(yes, I like Big Cats!)
I'm fond of the big furballs as well. (Who's a cute little snooky wooku ... where'd my arm go?? )
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #372
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,192
Don't tell the guys in GSpot but I recently got me a WRR and...and...I am actually loving it more than the GS. The WR is SOOO MUCH FUN. Light. It allows me to explore more areas than the GS. Only slight downside is that I peg the throttle on the highway to stay in the high 60s.

The GS is nice and i am not ready to get rid of it but I am also dumping money into my Gen1 KLR and I suspect I'm really gonna fall in love with the KLR once again.

GS can be a pain...all kinds of piddly stuff goes bad. Fuel Strips have been out for months and now the TPMS. The worse part is that it is heavy. It's a great road bike and I can do some gravel roads so I'll keep it in the stable for now.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #373
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Don't tell the guys in GSpot but I recently got me a WRR and...and...I am actually loving it more than the GS. The WR is SOOO MUCH FUN. Light. It allows me to explore more areas than the GS. Only slight downside is that I peg the throttle on the highway to stay in the high 60s.

The GS is nice and i am not ready to get rid of it but I am also dumping money into my Gen1 KLR and I suspect I'm really gonna fall in love with the KLR once again.

GS can be a pain...all kinds of piddly stuff goes bad. Fuel Strips have been out for months and now the TPMS. The worse part is that it is heavy. It's a great road bike and I can do some gravel roads so I'll keep it in the stable for now.
I agree.Its just a matter of time, but eventually I plan on picking up a WRR.
IBA # 23,716
Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #374
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

On the road

DAY 1 - FRIDAY - 14 JUNE 2013

DETROIT - TO - JAMESTOWN

I was finally able to break away for a multi day ride today.

I left straight from work all packed up and ready to wander for a bit.

This is my first multiple day ride on a THUMPER, so I am pretty excited and looking forward to this trip !!!

As I crossed the Maumee River on the 280 Bridge I snapped this shot of Toledo, Ohio which is also the City I was born in and Married in on my birthday 25 years later.

As far as large cities go Toledo is not very large but that 5/3 Bank building is pretty good sized.

A little while ago I checked in a room at the ECONOLODGE in Wooster, Ohio in Amish Country.I had to pass a few horse and buggys on 250 East on the way in, thats always weird but interesting !! LoL.

Its time to relax a little since I worked all day, after all I am on Holiday !!

DAY 1 ROUTE MAP

After getting settled in,I walked over to a Italian Restaurant that sits right next to the Motel.
They had a interesting outside patio with dining tables and even an outdoor Bar.
After eating my Pizza I retired to my room for the night to get some sleep.I wanted to get a fresh start in the morning.

Normally I try to camp as much as possible,but this trip I will probably just get inexpensive rooms.
I do have my camp gear with me though,in case I come across a spot I really like.

For you AMA (American Motorcycle Association) members.
If you dont already know it,we get a discount at most motels with AMA codes.
I will list them for you in case you need them.
  • CHOICE HOTELS - 15 % - CODE # 00947556
  • RED ROOF INN - 20 % CODE # VP+503343
  • MOTEL 6 - ( UP TO ) 10 % CODE # CP540176
The Choice Hotel line is large and includes the Comfort Inn and many others.
You can go online and check them all out.
You also can use these codes online when making reservations.
IBA # 23,716

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 07:35 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #375
apexeric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Just got back from a visit with my son in Bar Harbor. Enjoy your trip.