User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #496
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,107
Crossing US131

At one point the trail takes you across US131 along a small gravel corridor.

All of these unique changes keep the MCCCT very interesting.

After crossing 131, the MCCCT ran me down a rutted out deep sugar sand route to a trail head parking lot where a few dirt bikers with their trailer of bikes were looking at a map.

They looked surprised when I popped in on the KLR.
One asked me how the KLR was doing.
I said it was a handful but getting the job done, plus it will haul me back to Detroit this evening.

He looked at me kind of funny.Lol.

http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 06:11 PM
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #497
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

The trail came across this neat arched single lane wooden bridge spanning the Manistee River.

You can see the red MCCCT triangle confidence markers above the low clearance sign.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 06:13 PM
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #498
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Every so often you will come to a little bridge crossing a small stream in the middle of the woods.

Michigan is strict on keeping motor vehicles out of the water.

There are no water crossings.

Sometime around 5 pm I decided I better hit the Highway and get home to get ready for work Monday morning.
So after stopping in at Bob's to air up my tires and reattach the Caribou Cases and a brief fuel stop I was slabbing it.
Once under way I never let off the throttle till I pulled in the driveway at home,220 miles later.
Along with the 150 miles of trails and back roads earlier in the day,that put me @370 miles of very diverse terrain for the day.
That's one of the qualities of the KLR that I appreciate,VERSATILITY !!!

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-23-2013 at 06:00 PM
Old 08-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #499
T KILL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumbs down gen 2 vs gen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Took my first ride today on my new to me 2008 KLR 705.I received it Thursday but put it on the lift table to sort out a few little issues it had before I rode it.
I have had a few gen 1 Klr's before, but never a gen 2, and they have appealed to me since they were introduced.
The Gsa is an amazing road bike but I want to slow down and ride more dual sport and whenever I was on the Gsa I always just ended up pounding pavement.
Secondly, I am paying down debt.I am tired of bills, and just want some simplicity in my life.I am going to leave the high tech, expensive bikes for the rich.
So, this is the start of a new adventure and lifestyle. "Less is more"
The first shake down ride went well and I am happy with the bike.It will take a little while to adapt back to the thumper but I plan on dedicating to it as my everyday bike.
A pic from todays first ride.

The gen 1 is a big fat pig...gen 2 is even heavier...enough so that I'd be looking at something with a little more weight and alot more engine before I'd consider one...plus the lowered suspension travel of the gen 2 makes it closer to a wee or the like than a gen 1...but to each his own...
T KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #500
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by T KILL View Post
The gen 1 is a big fat pig...gen 2 is even heavier...enough so that I'd be looking at something with a little more weight and alot more engine before I'd consider one...plus the lowered suspension travel of the gen 2 makes it closer to a wee or the like than a gen 1...but to each his own...
You've owned both first and second gen KLR's?
Now just what would you do with "a lot more engine" ? Are you a "Fast Guy"?

I'd wager a "real" fast guy riding a well set up KLR ... on a "KLR road" ... would smoke you no matter what you're riding.

Like a lot of guys ... you've missed the point of the KLR. Go back to the early/mid 90's and track just how many KLR riders have gone RTW or cross country on a KLR. Where you riding in 1993? Many rack up 50 to 100K miles traveling. Now how can that be?

Did you know we rode motorcycles before ADV Rider ever existed? When I had a KLR in the 90's ... it sat beside a ZX-11 in the garage, next to my YZ250R AMA Enduro Race bike. Horses for courses.

The KLR is not about going fast or racing. Are you a racer? If so ... get an Orange race bike ... and lets see what 'cha got ...
(and don't forget the Orange Underpants!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudlM904mkg
Here is a real fast guy on a "fat pig" KLR on Marin County's infamous Sunday Morning Ride.
Skip up to one minute mark to see Wade Boyd keeping pace with the 120 HP super bikes.
Google Wade for his Isle of Mann exploits. Wade has ridden that old KLR for at least ten years.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 08:39 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #501
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
What would you suggest ???

This KLR isn't slowing me down too much.
Actually I was hoping it would slow me down more. lol
I've done 600+ mile days on the road and done hours of single track with street oriented tires and a 16 tooth cs sprocket.
I think this bike is pretty versatile.

Also I have run both Generation of Klr's off road set up similarly, and as far as I can recall there is not much of a difference.
They are both heavy.
The Gen 1 being narrower does give some psychological confidence though.
The Gen 1 is better off road, but not much.

Here is a link to a ride I did on the Gen 1 in similar conditions.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663295

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 06:17 PM
Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #502
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
i have 3 klr's and have put around 30k miles on "adventure trails" on them. does that make them an adventure bike? i believe i even went to Starbucks on one once.

for me they are almost the perfect bike. they are faster than i want them to be on these trips...when you haul ass..what do you see? a 6" wide line through the trail 1000 miles long? ive actuallly been thinking of getting a smaller bike to slow myself down even more
but if i wanted more grunt..and sometimes i do..no question in my mind... Honda xr650r with a fork transplant....i really believe it is the only bike that could replace the klr for me. same easy maintenance..more suspension..more grunt.

i have a well set up wee...and many buddies have loaned me their gs's...still the klr for me.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #503
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Another more "off road" oriented KLR build thread. It's short, easy to check out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908848
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #504
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Another more "off road" oriented KLR build thread. It's short, easy to check out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908848
Yes, I checked out the thread.
He mentions he will be riding with his buddy on a Wr250r and considered one himself.
I hope he updates his thread on his thoughts between the 2 bikes after some rides.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #505
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You've owned both first and second gen KLR's?
Now just what would you do with "a lot more engine" ? Are you a "Fast Guy"?

I'd wager a "real" fast guy riding a well set up KLR ... on a "KLR road" ... would smoke you no matter what you're riding.

Like a lot of guys ... you've missed the point of the KLR. Go back to the early/mid 90's and track just how many KLR riders have gone RTW or cross country on a KLR. Where you riding in 1993? Many rack up 50 to 100K miles traveling. Now how can that be?

Did you know we rode motorcycles before ADV Rider ever existed? When I had a KLR in the 90's ... it sat beside a ZX-11 in the garage, next to my YZ250R AMA Enduro Race bike. Horses for courses.

The KLR is not about going fast or racing. Are you a racer? If so ... get an Orange race bike ... and lets see what 'cha got ...
(and don't forget the Orange Underpants!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudlM904mkg
Here is a real fast guy on a "fat pig" KLR on Marin County's infamous Sunday Morning Ride.
Skip up to one minute mark to see Wade Boyd keeping pace with the 120 HP super bikes.
Google Wade for his Isle of Mann exploits. Wade has ridden that old KLR for at least ten years.
Good post, but you're wasting your breath unfortunately. People either understand that EVERY dual sport is an exercise in compromise thereby realizing that there is no BEST choice, or they don't.

I just finished reading this entire thread and wanted to say I really enjoyed it. I agree with almost everything you and the OP has said. I disagree with the KLR being the bike of choice for an individual is driven primarly by price.

Some background; I have been riding and racing motorcycles for 35 years including a 10 year stint offroad racing. I've done Baja on a KLR and DRZ and have ridden pretty much everywhere on the west coast. My latest bike is my 36th motocycle and I've ridden just about every bike mentioned in these threads including:

- DR350
- DRZ400
- DR650
- KLR650
- XT600
- weestrom
- Versys
- BMW 1200GS
- BMW F800GS
- KTM 950 and 990 adventure
- KTM 450EXC
- KTM 640 LC4
- XR400
- XR650L
- XR650R

....and too many dirt bikes to mention. Last year my garage stable consisted of:
- 1 CRF150F, two KTM200XC's, one KTM300XCW, a CRF250X, a 1st gen KLR650, a Kawasaki Versys, a Ninja 500 and a ZX6R. I sold all of them except the KLR and also purchased a new Harley Electraglide Classic for a 2 up tour of California.

Not to brag, but I can afford to ride any bike I want. Why did I keep the KLR? Well, it is far more capable than the twin cyl euro bikes off road and it's far better on the street than the "dirt bikes with tags" such as the KTM450/500/530 type bikes. The KLR's combination of simplicity, reliability and longevity is unmatched IMO AT ANY PRICE. Is it perfect? No, far from it but most shortcomings are correctible with the vast supply of aftermarket parts available. The number of KLR's produced, the wide sales distribution and the 20 year production run means that it is easier to find parts and repair a KLR than virtually any other bike.

The DR650 was a solid contender as well and is a great choice too, but I wanted the bigger tank, luggage rack, windscreen and liquid cooling of the Kawi.

If I find in the future that my useage is more dirt, harder trails and less hwy, then I would consider a KTM 690, DRZ400 or even a WR250.

If I find that my useage is exclusively dirt except for very short sections of road between them, then I'd get a KTM500EXC.

Anyhow, back to the thread; I look forward to more informative reading.

Cheers,
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #506
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
Good post, but you're wasting your breath unfortunately. People either understand that EVERY dual sport is an exercise in compromise thereby realizing that there is no BEST choice, or they don't.

I just finished reading this entire thread and wanted to say I really enjoyed it. I agree with almost everything you and the OP has said. I disagree with the KLR being the bike of choice for an individual is driven primarly by price.

Some background; I have been riding and racing motorcycles for 35 years including a 10 year stint offroad racing. I've done Baja on a KLR and DRZ and have ridden pretty much everywhere on the west coast. My latest bike is my 36th motocycle and I've ridden just about every bike mentioned in these threads including:

- DR350
- DRZ400
- DR650
- KLR650
- XT600
- weestrom
- Versys
- BMW 1200GS
- BMW F800GS
- KTM 950 and 990 adventure
- KTM 450EXC
- KTM 640 LC4
- XR400
- XR650L
- XR650R

....and too many dirt bikes to mention. Last year my garage stable consisted of:
- 1 CRF150F, two KTM200XC's, one KTM300XCW, a CRF250X, a 1st gen KLR650, a Kawasaki Versys, a Ninja 500 and a ZX6R. I sold all of them except the KLR and also purchased a new Harley Electraglide Classic for a 2 up tour of California.

Not to brag, but I can afford to ride any bike I want. Why did I keep the KLR? Well, it is far more capable than the twin cyl euro bikes off road and it's far better on the street than the "dirt bikes with tags" such as the KTM450/500/530 type bikes. The KLR's combination of simplicity, reliability and longevity is unmatched IMO AT ANY PRICE. Is it perfect? No, far from it but most shortcomings are correctible with the vast supply of aftermarket parts available. The number of KLR's produced, the wide sales distribution and the 20 year production run means that it is easier to find parts and repair a KLR than virtually any other bike.

The DR650 was a solid contender as well and is a great choice too, but I wanted the bigger tank, luggage rack, windscreen and liquid cooling of the Kawi.

If I find in the future that my useage is more dirt, harder trails and less hwy, then I would consider a KTM 690, DRZ400 or even a WR250.

If I find that my useage is exclusively dirt except for very short sections of road between them, then I'd get a KTM500EXC.

Anyhow, back to the thread; I look forward to more informative reading.

Cheers,
Dave
That is an intelligent post.Thanks for the contribution.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #507
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Great Thread

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Great reading (excluding the one TROLL).

Appreciate the insight that everyone has offered.

Ride Safe

Old 08-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #508
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealOldDualSportGuy View Post
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Great reading (excluding the one TROLL).

Appreciate the insight that everyone has offered.

Ride Safe

I'm glad you are enjoying it.
Hopefully it will continue on for a long time.
Maybe I can get out and about this weekend and post up some new Adventure Travel material.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 06:51 PM
Old 08-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #509
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

An update on the Leo Vince

The Leo Vince is proving to be a fantastic muffler for the KLR.

I would buy another one tommorow if I needed it.

I have been running the long baffle tube in it without the spark arrestor screen all year.

The other day I installed the spark arrestor screen and the low end torque feels even better now along with a little bit quieter exhaust note, so now I am even happier with it.

Also, if anyone is running this muffler, make sure you periodically remove the 3 Allen bolts holding the end cap on and Antisieze them or you will have problems later trying to remove them.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 06:52 PM
Old 08-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #510
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by realolddualsportguy View Post
thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread.

Great reading (excluding the one troll).

appreciate the insight that everyone has offered.

Ride safe
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpelletier View Post
**snippage**
not to brag, but i can afford to ride any bike i want. Why did i keep the klr? Well, it is far more capable than the twin cyl euro bikes off road and it's far better on the street than the "dirt bikes with tags" such as the ktm450/500/530 type bikes. The klr's combination of simplicity, reliability and longevity is unmatched imo at any price. Is it perfect? No, far from it but most shortcomings are correctible with the vast supply of aftermarket parts available. The number of klr's produced, the wide sales distribution and the 20 year production run means that it is easier to find parts and repair a klr than virtually any other bike.
**snippage**
dave
Exactly my thinking too. Unlike the OP I kept the GS. I have a hard time thinking of a stable without a KLR. I have really enjoyed mine and sometimes toy with the idea of trimming the stable down to that one bike.