ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #556
5 speed
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Orlando Florida
Oddometer: 871
I definitely like the KLRs and have always admired the KLR owners spirit of tinkering to improve this and that. It is what it is, the power wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for the weight. You are all correct; if Kawasaki would just throw a little money at it still trying to preserve the reliability (like improving the suspension and shaving weight) they could take the market. I rode one, was ready to buy a new one that had sat at the dealer for more than a year (old body style) but we couldnt come to terms. Today I have a 950 adventure which am always doing some work to for whatever reason. I truly love the bike, carbed, less technology then the new ones etc for just those reasons. I think I will always hang on to that bike. Economically speaking, maybe I could get 6,500.00 for it farkled up, but I would be hard pressed to replace it. I do see a day though when the KLR may end up in my future because riding one, I just enjoyed the seating position and the simplicity of it all. I imagine if one is creative you can graft better suspension off some other bikes, do the weight reduction program, etc and be perfectly content. Just reminds me so much of the bikes I grew up on; Suzuki TS125s, 250s, XRs etc. Hats off to all of you for your creative and enterprising spirits. Ride on!!!!
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #557
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
I definitely like the KLRs and have always admired the KLR owners spirit of tinkering to improve this and that. It is what it is, the power wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for the weight. You are all correct; if Kawasaki would just throw a little money at it still trying to preserve the reliability (like improving the suspension and shaving weight) they could take the market. I rode one, was ready to buy a new one that had sat at the dealer for more than a year (old body style) but we couldnt come to terms. Today I have a 950 adventure which am always doing some work to for whatever reason. I truly love the bike, carbed, less technology then the new ones etc for just those reasons. I think I will always hang on to that bike. Economically speaking, maybe I could get 6,500.00 for it farkled up, but I would be hard pressed to replace it. I do see a day though when the KLR may end up in my future because riding one, I just enjoyed the seating position and the simplicity of it all. I imagine if one is creative you can graft better suspension off some other bikes, do the weight reduction program, etc and be perfectly content. Just reminds me so much of the bikes I grew up on; Suzuki TS125s, 250s, XRs etc. Hats off to all of you for your creative and enterprising spirits. Ride on!!!!
I got an almost complete package from Emig Racing. KX450 UPD forks, triple trees, wheel, rotor, caliper, damper. I have not gotten around to working on the bike. I still need to get the dash and will probably go with Cogent rear shock.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #558
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I got an almost complete package from Emig Racing. KX450 UPD forks, triple trees, wheel, rotor, caliper, damper. I have not gotten around to working on the bike. I still need to get the dash and will probably go with Cogent rear shock.
Does their set up work on the 2008 and up model or just the 2007 and down ?

Racetech also offers a nice shock for the KLR now and we get 15 % off.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #559
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,557
Hmmm...I willl add racetech to shocks to consider.

I am fairly sure that Emig can do the setup for the newer model KLRs but am not sure. He's a quick email or call away though.

I was nervous about sourcing my own forks from ebay so Emig sourced them for me and made sure they were good, serviced them, and shipped me everything I would need.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #560
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Hmmm...I willl add racetech to shocks to consider.

I am fairly sure that Emig can do the setup for the newer model KLRs but am not sure. He's a quick email or call away though.

I was nervous about sourcing my own forks from ebay so Emig sourced them for me and made sure they were good, serviced them, and shipped me everything I would need.
That sounds like a convenient way to go.If you dont mind me asking,how much $ for all the front end parts ?

Do you or can you retain your stock gauges or have to go aftermarket ?
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #561
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,557
It was a good chunk, perhaps more than the bike is worth.

Since I had been considering a KTM 690R I figure I'm good on the money front.

You can save some by sourcing your own parts and simply getting the triples from Emig.

I can't retain the gauges so I am probably going with a Vapor or an Acewell.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #562
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
It was a good chunk, perhaps more than the bike is worth.

Since I had been considering a KTM 690R I figure I'm good on the money front.

You can save some by sourcing your own parts and simply getting the triples from Emig.

I can't retain the gauges so I am probably going with a Vapor or an Acewell.
I'm curious why you can't retain the stock gauges; Emig's site says they have the mounting points on the top clamp?

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #563
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
It was a good chunk, perhaps more than the bike is worth.

Since I had been considering a KTM 690R I figure I'm good on the money front.

You can save some by sourcing your own parts and simply getting the triples from Emig.

I can't retain the gauges so I am probably going with a Vapor or an Acewell.
Theres nothing wrong with putting the money in the bike as long as you know you are happy with the bike and are going to keep it.
Plus you can always put it back to stock and sell the parts seperatly if you ever did sell it.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #564
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
I'm curious why you can't retain the stock gauges; Emig's site says they have the mounting points on the top clamp?
Dave
I may be wrong but I think it would be a challenge running the speedo pickup. I know I have seen some who managed to retain their gauges but I don't think it is very straightforward. I might look into it a bit more before I start putting it all together.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #565
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Theres nothing wrong with putting the money in the bike as long as you know you are happy with the bike and are going to keep it.
Plus you can always put it back to stock and sell the parts seperatly if you ever did sell it.
Exactly. I originally bought the KLR as my Mexico bike and now I want to just make it a bit better. I don't need huge amounts of power for my type of riding and skill level.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #566
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I may be wrong but I think it would be a challenge running the speedo pickup. I know I have seen some who managed to retain their gauges but I don't think it is very straightforward. I might look into it a bit more before I start putting it all together.

Good to know; reading Emig's site you'd think it was a bolt on and plug and play thing.

I read where one guy using (IRC) WR450 forks and wheel was able to use the stock gauges which apparently worked with the WR drive. He had to build his own gauge mounting bracket.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #567
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,178
Tanglewood Acres and Trails End Restaurant

While camping at Pike State Forest I had Dinner and Breakfast at Trails End Restaurant, which is on the Tanglewood Acres property.It is a Horse campground also and I would have just camped there but I had already set up down the road.



I highly recommend it if you are in the area.I had a Strip Steak and fries with Salad for $10.00 and all you can eat breakfast buffet with eggs cooked to order and coffee for $5.00.
Good food and good people along with a nice country western setting.
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #568
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,178
Siep Mound

Just before Pike State Forest on Saturday I came across Siep Mound, and spent a little time here at this park like setting.



__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #569
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,178
Serpent Mound

Then on the way out of the area on Sunday morning I stopped by Serpent Mound.



__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #570
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Western Canada Dream
Oddometer: 302
KLR Forks !!!

My friend has many years in the moto-cross world, and he builds up his stock forks on all the bikes he owns.

I've never had any thing to do with them, but he said it's easy, so he will give me a hand to dial mine in this winter.

From Don.
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014